Facts, Not Fiction

Thread: Fun with maps

Page 11 of 96 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Re: Fun with maps
    Quote Originally Posted by TN1965
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlow
    I don't lose any sleep over USAian isolationist ignorance - simply not a realpolitik issue here. 8-)
    If you are truly "isolationist" you would not advocate military intervention. :?
    The millennials are well known for their isolationist tendencies, both in terms of foreign aid AND intervention. I believe that is where the pendulum is swinging in America. We Baby Boomers are OK with that up to a point, and that point occurs in the evening news programs when they show dead children in a mass grave. We're not so good at ignoring that.

2. Collapse Details
    The abc evening news tonight had a segment about horrible things that are going on in the Central African Republic. Christians and Muslims killing each other, hundreds of thousands of people displaced from their homes, children terribly affected. Is this going to cause the American people or the government to want to send troops to the middle of Africa to make things better? I very much doubt it.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceFlorman
    Why is it OK in America, to impose minimum proficiency requirements before allowing someone to drive a car, but not before allowing someone to vote in an election? :roll:
    Very simple: voting is a right, driving is a privilege. (I could also say that it's kind of hard to kill someone with a ballot but that's not really the point.) Ironically, more people exercise their privilege than their right.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Mighty Favog
    I could also say that it's kind of hard to kill someone with a ballot but that's not really the point.
    While I'll grant that the consequences of incompetent driving tend to become apparent more quickly, I'd argue that thousands of people have been killed as a consequence of incompetent voting. But I won't argue it here, because I'd quickly run afoul of the board's rules.

5. Collapse Details
    I agree with Bruce without further comment.

6. Collapse Details
    Although we might disagree about whether specific situations represent examples of that, I think we would all agree with the conclusion.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceFlorman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mighty Favog
    I could also say that it's kind of hard to kill someone with a ballot but that's not really the point.
    While I'll grant that the consequences of incompetent driving tend to become apparent more quickly, I'd argue that thousands of people have been killed as a consequence of incompetent voting. But I won't argue it here, because I'd quickly run afoul of the board's rules.
    It's not (just) that driving consquences are apparent more quickly, it's that there's far more power in an individual's hands behind a wheel than in the voting booth, where thousands/millions must act in concert to create an impact.

8. Collapse Details
    Administrator
    and there's no guarantee that "competent" voting provides any better result. What test can you possibly apply that sorts out the incompetent? And what guarantee do you have that the framers of the question don't make it such that you don't pass the litmus test?

at the risk of trotting out one of the most cliched phrases ever (and I paraphrase), "Democracy is a terrible form of government, but it's better than any other kind."

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by gh
    "Democracy is a terrible form of government, but it's better than any other kind."
    Absolutely! But that doesn't mean that the majority doesn't sometimes get things wrong. Of course "wrong" is usually judged with 20-20 hindsight.

10. Collapse Details