Quote Originally Posted by nicest person ever
Yea but then again, the bible in general isn't even a very good book, to be honest. Some parts of it are semi-decently well-written (some parts of psalms for example were okay-ish maybe). For example, some books I've read recently that were wayyyyyy better than the bible:

1. Starship Troopers, by Robert Heinlein

2. Crime and Punishment, by Fyodor Dostoevsky

3. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, by J. K. Rowling

4. Chickenhawk, by Robert Mason

5. Into Thin Air, by Jon Krakauer

These are just 5 random books off the top of my head that I found to be a lot better than the bible. There are plenty more though. I would say probably at least 3/4ths if not more of all the books I've ever read so far have been considerably better than the bible.

Therefore, I don't even see why people always point to this random "bible" book as some special reason for why it's not as bad to oppress gay people as it is to oppress people of various ethnicities. It's like, yea okay so some really mediocre book written by some anti-gay dudes says it's okay to be anti-gay. Gee, that's friggin wonderful y'all. But, I don't consider that to be a very logical/reasonable justification to throw gay people into cages because of the mere fact that they happen to be turned on by their own gender. That seems very mean and idiotic to me.

I guess, basically, I'm not a big fan of all these anti-gay people is what I'm trying to say. They seem kinda narrow-minded and not very tolerant of people who are different from themselves, which is kind of annoying in my opinion.
I agree completely! The bible is irrelevant in any rational discussion unless the discussion is about the bible, in which case it would be relevant.

In regards to the actual topic of the thread, the situation in Russia is absolutely atrocious. I emailed the IAAF a while back and asked if they were going to address this at all or stick their heads in the sand. I guess we all know what strategy they tend to opt for. Meanwhile, LGBT people are being dehumanized in Russia and to not speak up loudly against that is to be complicit. Gay people are being attacked brutally on a daily basis and the government does nothing to protect them. I'm hoping that some athletes will courageously say or do something to support the LGBT community in Russia--even if only by wearing a rainbow pin.