Facts, Not Fiction

Thread: NFL Positives

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Re: NFL Positives
    Quote Originally Posted by bambam
    Another sport - baseball - circa 1978 - I went to Phillies spring training because the PGA Tour was in Florida and I had a day or two so went over to Clearwater because I knew a few of the Phillies, especially a guy I went to college with. After practice that day he and I were in a bar together when a Phillies player walked in - very well-known, now in the Hall of Fame, who had one of the greatest single years in baseball history (trying to be vague here). I commented to my buddy that I had heard he had an incredible workout ethic. He agreed but also said that he took more drugs than any 3 other players on the team at that time - and Pete Rose was on the team (wasn't him). I asked my buddy if he was taking and he said "Sure. Everybody does. You have to to survive at this level."
    Baseball players loaded up on speed before steroids.

2. Collapse Details
    Another sport - baseball - circa 1978 - I went to Phillies spring training because the PGA Tour was in Florida and I had a day or two so went over to Clearwater because I knew a few of the Phillies, especially a guy I went to college with. After practice that day he and I were in a bar together when a Phillies player walked in - very well-known, now in the Hall of Fame, who had one of the greatest single years in baseball history (trying to be vague here). I commented to my buddy that I had heard he had an incredible workout ethic. He agreed but also said that he took more drugs than any 3 other players on the team at that time - and Pete Rose was on the team (wasn't him). I asked my buddy if he was taking and he said "Sure. Everybody does. You have to to survive at this level."
    No names - story ain't worth jack s*h*i*t :wink: :wink: :wink:

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by luther
    I'll name names when talking to you in person but not gonna do that over the Internet. Or are you trying to tell me it didn't happen?

4. Collapse Details
    Late 70s Phillies HOF player should be pretty easy to identify . . .

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by bad hammy
    Hot corner protector who had to watch out for flying D cells on occasion. Has publicly come out saying he has no problems w/ "help".

6. Collapse Details
    I'll name names when talking to you in person but not gonna do that over the Internet. Or are you trying to tell me it didn't happen?
    No, that's not what I'm saying. I'm either being too cryptic or I've got the wrong player.

45 in 78? Not my record collection. I'll shut up now....

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by MJR
    Hot corner protector who had to watch out for flying D cells on occasion. Has publicly come out saying he has no problems w/ "help".
    No, it wasn't Mike Schmidt

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by MJR
    Everyone always thinks offense with steroids....mistakenly

9. Collapse Details
    No, it wasn't Mike Schmidt[/quote]

"Workout ethic" is the key.

Also, I think what Mike Golic has spoken of is using steroids while recovering from injuries. I think this is more common than regular usage, as players in most team sports (individual sports also?) see the two situations as different.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by dj
    "Workout ethic" is the key.

Also, I think what Mike Golic has spoken of is using steroids while recovering from injuries. I think this is more common than regular usage, as players in most team sports (individual sports also?) see the two situations as different.[/quote]

Yeah, I don't buy that injury stuff. Football players are always injured, so they can always be taking. Its a convenient euphemism for "Sure, I was taking" I love Golic on Mike & Mike but don't but that.