Facts, Not Fiction

Thread: NFL Positives

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by user4 View Post
    Good point, I dont think I have ever seen a QB with that weak an arm. I mean in any game, regular season or otherwise. It was really odd to see Manning with no arm throwing short yardage ducks.
    Ben Roethlisberger's arm was probably weaker than Manning's in the Steeler's playoff game against the Bengals.

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by bambam1729 View Post
    I have a good friend, who was also an orthopaedist and a colonel in the military (recently retired), who popped the same cervical disc one day while he was bench pressing. He was a somewhat strong guy and could bench about 300#. He had the same surgery Manning had and can no longer extend his elbow well enough to bench 135# (bar and 2 plates). Once that nerve is damaged its damaged and peripheral nerves (outside spinal cord) do not recover well at older age (neither does the spinal cord), and unfortunately, older age for nerves is basically above your 20s. Manning's arm will never be any stronger given his injury.
    Now you've got my attention. How does someone screw up his neck bench pressing? I no longer squat more than 185# (usually it's 135#), not because I can't squat more but because the idea of having back problems in the future terrirfies me. However, I do still bench press heavy, because I assumed that the potential injuries wouldn't dramtically affect my way of life? Can I injure my neck on the bench without some sort of freak accident? Would you recommened me abandoning heavy bench pressing at my age?

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by jazzcyclist View Post
    Now you've got my attention. How does someone screw up his neck bench pressing? I no longer squat more than 185# (usually it's 135#), not because I can't squat more but because the idea of having back problems in the future terrirfies me. However, I do still bench press heavy, because I assumed that the potential injuries wouldn't dramtically affect my way of life? Can I injure my neck on the bench without some sort of freak accident? Would you recommened me abandoning heavy bench pressing at my age?
    I think I can contribute here. Valsalva associated with sudden exertion resulting in disc herniation is probably the proverbial last straw on the camel's back.

As far as injuries go, any exertional activity can result in an injury, the older you are, the higher your chance. There are no hard guidelines, you have to decide if your activity is worth the risks.
    "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
    by Thomas Henry Huxley

4. Collapse Details

That's depressing. I'm probably 85-90% as strong as I was at my physical peak nearly 20 years ago, and I've challenged myself to see how long I can hold on, thinking that the worst thing I was risking was a bum shoulder or a pulled muscle. Now, in light of what you've said, I may have to reconsider my gym routine.

By the way, I see an ad at the top of this page that reads:

"Herniated Disc Treatment: Our 30-minute procedure can help relieve disc pain, get more info."

Could this have been prompted by the thread discussion? If so, that's scary.

5. Collapse Details

As Pego said, Valsalva maneuver is the answer to why disk herniation can occur with extreme effort. Unfortunately, that can occur taking out the garbage, having sex, lots of ways. I'd keep benching, jazzy, maybe just don't try to max out on it like you used to.

6. Collapse Details

Administrator
    hey, I'm plagued with cervicogenic headaches; growing old is a bitch.

7. Collapse Details

It surely beats being dead ��

8. Collapse Details

The whole point is.... This..

A. The world is not advanced enough.
    B. Maybe in 1.3 million years humans might advance enough to provide everyone with accurate steroid tests that actually give 100 percent accurate results.
    C. Ever since the 1930's the only person who knows if they are natural or not is that person.
    D. Testing sites need more funding.. Steroid testers need funding, funding, funding, and then some more funding on top of that.

And in conclusion as a result of all of this.. I don't believe anything that I see with my own eyes. I don't believe any human. I don't trust any human.. I don't care what anyone in this world has accomplished..

It doesn't mean anything to me. Because I can't 100 percent verify myself that anyone or anything that I see on this planet is 100 percent natural.. Do you know why? Because I haven't freaking personally conducted a steroid test on them that's why.

There are too many variables that go into play.. What if the test screwed up.. What if they took something before the test.. What if it didn't read it right..

All kinds of crap..

But hey I want to personally thank the 1930's... Good job 1930's.. Now I can't trust anyone.. I mean I guess if the 1930's did anything it was to make me trust nothing I see ... Congratulations everyone.

9. Collapse Details

We may not know with 100% certainty that an athlete is clean but we can know with 100% certainty that an athlete is dirty.

10. Collapse Details

Why the 1930s in particular? Inquiring minds want know.....