Facts, Not Fiction

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Re: Is being a Bisexual a bad thing ?
    I find it curious that some folks are proudly identifying themselves as "queer". At one time, I thought that word was considered disrespectful

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by tandfman
    I find it curious that some folks are proudly identifying themselves as "queer". At one time, I thought that word was considered disrespectful
    It's like any word that has been re-claimed, just like nigger/nigga.

3. Collapse Details
    The term "queer" has been used in the gay (etc.) community for a couple of generations. I noticed it becoming particularly common around 1990, when I met a lot of anti-war activists who were much younger than me. That usage didn't faze me, but the "valley girl" accents sometimes did!

4. Collapse Details
    BTW, is being into het sex a bad thing?

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by expat
    BTW, is being into het sex a bad thing?
    To paraphrase the song - if it's bad, I don't wanna be good . . . :wink:

6. Collapse Details
    The matter of sexual identification seems to be getting more complicated. The other day, I came across the initials LGBTQ. The Q was a new one to me.
    It is only in the last year or so that I became aware of LGBTQIA.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/10/fa...tqia.html?_r=0

7. Collapse Details
    The matter of sexual identification seems to be getting more complicated. The other day, I came across the initials LGBTQ. The Q was a new one to me. Google led me to this:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/sty ... stand-for/
    Sexual identification is as different as snowflakes. And what is happening as we break away from the idea of one major group and one minor group is we're finding many minor groups and that the major group isn't as major as we might've thought.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by wamego relays champ
    It is only in the last year or so that I became aware of LGBTQIA.
    I consider myself a LGBTQIABTWHTCTHOOM.

[Lesbian-Gay-Bi-Trans-Queer-Intersex Ally, But-The-Whole-Thing-Confuses-The-Heck-Out-Of-Me]

9. Collapse Details
    There are a lot of distinctions, more than most people think about, which basically that most people think of hetro and gay. It is a lot more complex than that and it breaks in more than one 'dimension'. The NYT article has some of that. The dichotomy is definitely a misconceptions, as 'shades' of hetro/gay is a lot closer (but more disturbing to those that consider themselves straight and do not want to deal with some grey.

There was recently a piece (NYT?) about how it is often more difficult to be bisexual than gay, sometimes treated as 'outsiders' by both groups.

I doubt the notion that males are not bi, although most of the bi-sexuals I have known are what most would describe as female. I have known too many I thought were bi for that to be a good characterization.

10. Collapse Details
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by KDFINE
    I once read (maybe the N.Y. Times) that while women could be inclined / wired (don't recall the exact words) towards bi-sexuality, that men could not. If men thought/ acted bi-sexualy, they were just deluding themselves.
    FWIW, I have a good friend who is flagrantly gay, but he likes nothing better than to go to strip clubs to ogle naked women. Go figure.

(and is very public about it; oh, the joys of living in an enlightened part of the world where there can be "offbeat" people like this who don't raise an eyebrow among the general populace)