Facts, Not Fiction

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Re: Short 7' straddle high jumpers
    Did anyone else ever jump like Bob Avant? What should his style have been called? Something like but not quite a straddle?

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by KDFINE
    Did anyone else ever jump like Bob Avant? What should his style have been called? Something like but not quite a straddle?
    Nobody quite like Avant. But I would still call it an extreme Dive straddle. He had a raised lead knee when he went in over the bar.

Yes. Gene Johnson was a Western roller but I think Stan Albright is the highest Roller of all time 7-1 1/2 in the 70's indoors. Can be verified in T&FN but I can't do it now.

The thing with the Roll was that it was so easy to learn. Simplicity itself. But when jumpers started to speed up the roll in the air, it lead to the Straddle and by then the "no diving" rule was eliminated. A good illustration is Albritton ( early straddler) and Corny Johnson (roller) in the Olympic video which is here now (History board)

Vladimir Sitkin 2.15 with "the shoe" was 5-11.

3. Collapse Details
    I think Rory Kotinek was about 6'1". And I think his best straddle was 7'1", and his best flop was 7' 6".

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by cask1
    I think Rory Kotinek was about 6'1". And I think his best straddle was 7'1", and his best flop was 7' 6".
    Have there been very many high jumpers who could go over 7' with as a flopper and a straddler? That seems really unusual to me.

5. Collapse Details
    Matzdorf and certainly some others (Stones most likely and many others if they had chosen to do so) but the guestion is why? If you are an elite jumper capable of 7 foot clearances then why mess around with another technique?

Also - to reinforce -there were MANY straddlers only slighty taller than six feet with marks over or very close to 7 ft.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by jhc68
    Matzdorf and certainly some others (Stones most likely and many others if they had chosen to do so) but the guestion is why? If you are an elite jumper capable of 7 foot clearances then why mess around with another technique?
    Most--probably all--of the jumpers who cleared 7-0 with both styles were in the process of converting to the flop. Remember that 7-0 was no longer elite by the time the flop came into being, the WR being 7-5 3/4 (2.28) at that time.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by dj
    Most--probably all--of the jumpers who cleared 7-0 with both styles were in the process of converting to the flop. Remember that 7-0 was no longer elite by the time the flop came into being, the WR being 7-5 3/4 (2.28) at that time.
    Exactly.
    Stones did straddle early in high school and he liked to play around with that technique later on. He sometimes used to straddle on lower heights in meets. But of course, the only other technique we see these days is the scissors during warm-ups.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by kuha
    http://pinoyathletics.com/2012/09/16/evolution-high-jump/
    Nice site - thanx for that link

9. Collapse Details
    Although not a 7-foot jumper, Gene Zubrinsky of Glendale College came close. I think he went over 6'11" or 6'10 3/4" maybe. He couldn't have been more than 5' 7 1/2" and probably was shorter. He was like a human hover craft, with a slow approach and a straight up vertical leap that was astonishing to see. And maybe one of the funniest S. O. B.s that ever lived!
    "Who's Kidding Who?"

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by KDFINE
    I never saw Bobby Avant jump but from the sound of it Randy Fulkerson might of had a similar technique. Fulkerson was 5'7" and jumped 6' 10" in the 1970 California HS state meet as a junior. I believe that he and Rory Kotenik were the best HS jumpers in LA in 1970. Dwight Stones did not take over until 1971.