Facts, Not Fiction

Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Re: Best/worst T&F commentators
    Quote Originally Posted by tm71
    In 2011 Channel 4 in the Uk got the rights for the World Athketics championship from the BBC.
    They put a alternative light entertainment presenter with no knowledge of sport or experience of live sporting events to present it. I'd explain how bad it was but my link below...

i just watched it and i must agree that i have NEVER EVER seen anything this bad !
    truly unprofessional, where did they find this clown ? and who hired him for this job ?
    it makes larry rawson, carol lewis and tom hammond seem like geniuses lol !
    Poor Ortis, he came to sit with me and Flump at the UK Trials last summer. He introduced himself said he's seen us about and explained that he was hosting the Channel 4 covergae in Deagu. He said he used to compete in the Dec and was a big track fan but not an expert. Alarm bells rang then !! but he's an experienced presenter who we assumed had been vetted, trained and prepared. How wrong we were

To present live sport you need to know everything inside out so you you can think on your feet, he may have known enough to chat with fans but this clearly isn't sufficient and Ch4 had no business letting on tv. Apart from him and the adverts their coverage was a breath of fresh air and his replacement (after 3 days) Rick Edwards was very good
    i deserve extra credit

2. Collapse Details
    My favourite commentators where one morning in Stuttgart '93 when the BBC has Daley Thompson and Kris Akabusi as guests. After making lewd comments about the female long jumpers, especially Larysa Berezhna and calling Leroy Burrell 'the one eyed fat man', they disappeared and where never heard of again :lol:
    i deserve extra credit

3. Collapse Details
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by noone
    I wish I knew the name of the incompetent stadium announcer at the 2001 World Championships in Edmonton. He was a French-Canadian whose command of English was even worse than his T & F knowledge. He would constantly babble on about people having a fight (he meant battle), or else you couldn't even understand him. I kept saying to myself : For God's sake why don't you shut up!
    ????

There were two French-speaking announcers in Edmonton, and both were from France, and with impeccable credentials regards both knowledge of the sport and speaking ability. I've worked with them at every major international championships since Atlanta in '96. Both also speak a just-fine version of English.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary
    Quote Originally Posted by pakillo
    I think TV commentators play huge role in increasing/repelling potential fans.
    I don't think commentators have much impact, unless you are a big fan already.
    I'd say just the opposite. If you're a serious fan, you pretty much know what's going on just by looking at the screen and you may just as well not pay any attention to the commentary. The less knowledgable viewers, otoh, need some extra guidance, and their enjoyment will largely depend on the commentators.
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by JumboElliott
    I like Tim Hutchings, Ato Boldon, Craig Masback, and Toni Reavis. I'm hot and cold on Steve Cram, but that might just be after reading some of his columns. I think he and many other Brits are far too sanctimonious on the issue of doping.
    I'm the opposite; I like Steve Cram but I'm hot and cold with Tim Hutchings. Crammy is excellent IMO. He has that balance between knowledge, enthusiasm, professionalism and being a ruddy great presenter live. Hutchings has improved immensely since the late 90's, but he still comes across a bit iffy to me. I am not a fan of Peter Matthews at all.

I am a bit of a stick in the mud and love my BBC commentary team. Crammy is superb, Stuart Storey & Paul Dickinson I love too. Back in the day Ron Pickering was fantastic, my 'best ever', and David Coleman was sometimes ok, despite his Colemansballs. ("Britain's Olympic Gold medallist.....Daley Cathlon." )
    Where the BBC are let down, and generally always have been, is with their trackside interviewers. Jonathan Edwards was rude (better in the studio) Sally Gunnell couldnt say her words properly (in fairness she did get better towards the end but it was too late, she was sacked) and Phil Jones, while knowledgeable and asking the right questions, just doesn't have the personality. Chris Cahill (Boxer) used to be ok, but none of them ahve ever matched the pedigree of the commentary team.

In Channel 4, I actually think Rick Edwards has actually been ok and I understand why they have chosen him, for the younger, casual fan. At the WICh he, Iwan Thomas and Kelly Sotherton did a decent job in the studio, even if Thomas did get a little too energetic.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Powell
    Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary
    Quote Originally Posted by pakillo
    I think TV commentators play huge role in increasing/repelling potential fans.
    I don't think commentators have much impact, unless you are a big fan already.
    I'd say just the opposite. If you're a serious fan, you pretty much know what's going on just by looking at the screen and you may just as well not pay any attention to the commentary. The less knowledgable viewers, otoh, need some extra guidance, and their enjoyment will largely depend on the commentators.
    I agree though it's hard not to pay any attention to the commentary especially when it's terrible, incorrect and scandalous. We have one commentator of that kind and I hear some people like him cause he makes them laughing hard (less knowledgeable viewers) but they are actually misguided :x and even after several suspensions he is still there.

7. Collapse Details
    Steve Cram - Excellent. Brings the sport to life.

Carol Lewis - I probably stand alone in this but I find her ditziness endearing. It's like what Carolism will be uttered next. That aside I think she genuinely tries.

Tom Hammond - Men's 100M London call was worst ever. What race was he watching on his monitor? Here comes Tyson he shouts during the race - Tyson never actually led at any point in the race - and Bolt clearly pulling ahead at the 55m mark and he mentions it after the race was done. They could easily have redubbed it considering that it was delayed 'live' but chose not to - probably did not care. And picking Pistorius as his favorite moment from London is the give away that he cares nothing about track.

8. Collapse Details
    Why has no one mentioned Connie Henry yet?

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Flumpy
    Why has no one mentioned Connie Henry yet?
    When Valerie took up the PV :shock:
    i deserve extra credit

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Trackrunner
    Carol Lewis - I probably stand alone in this but I find her ditziness endearing. It's like what Carolism will be uttered next. That aside I think she genuinely tries.
    I'm sure she's a great person and was certainly a great athlete, but her greatest gift is an amazing command of the obvious! As in, "There goes Jeter. She's really picking them up and putting them down. Look at her turnover and stride length. They're better than than the others, so she may win this race." I can't remember anything she said that didn't make me wince. As for trying . . . if that's a viable criterion, then sign me up; I'll try really, really hard, I promise.