Facts, Not Fiction

Page 29 of 31 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

As a corollary to the last post it's worth mentioning the quality of work supplied by such as Stan Greenberg [previous post], Walt Murphy in the USA, and Mark Butler. As well as editing more than 50 stats books for the IAAF over the last 20 years, Mark also produces the stats sheets event-by-event that the BBC uses. And not just the BBC. The IAAF so liked what he was doing that some time ago they contracted him to produce his sheets for all the World's media in the stadium. So any errors made by commentators can only be attributed to themselves.

2. Collapse Details

Whoever is doing the commentating on the NBC Sports Gold is as bad as anyone I've ever heard. The guy is giving no athlete credentials of any kind other than personal and season's bests. Olympic & World champions not identified as such! The usual mispronunciation of names. Bad race calls. A world best completely blown. Etc, etc.

3. Collapse Details

Administrator
    I loved the intro to the m110H where Omar McLeod's credential was "only man in the field with a best under 13 seconds" and Alkana was cited from a new country "The People's Republic of South Africa"

4. Collapse Details

Yes, I was wondering if there had been a revolution there that I hadn't heard about. :-)

5. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by tandfman View Post
    Whoever is doing the commentating on the NBC Sports Gold is as bad as anyone I've ever heard.....
    including Brent Mussberger?

6. Collapse Details

I thought the commentary was poor also.

7. Collapse Details

Track and Field television commentator and historian Dick Bank turned 90 last week. I asked him if he could still announce a track meet on television at his age. He responded by saying he thinks he could still do a decent job of commentating. He said his biggest fear would be pronouncing the names of the competitors..........
    Dick Bank certainly wouldn't do any worse at pronouncing names than the British announcers did at the Berlin Meet on Sunday.
    Last edited by TWalsh; 09-02-2019 at 03:29 AM.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    including Brent Mussberger?
    Hmmmm. That's like asking me to compare Hitler with Attila the Hun.

(Godwin's Law strikes again!)

9. Collapse Details

I think the guy who is doing the NBC Sports Gold at Zagreb is the same as the guy who did Berlin. He seems better prepared this time (at least has some credentials to mention other than personal and season's bests for each athlete). But he's still pretty bad. Got the wrong race early in the session (the women's 400) and then mis-identified the winner of the women's 100 hurdles in the replay (after correctly calling it live).
    Last edited by tandfman; 09-04-2019 at 02:59 PM.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by tandfman View Post
    I think the guy who is doing the NBC Sports Gold at Zurich is the same as the guy who did Berlin. He seems better prepared this time (at least has some credentials to mention other than personal and season's bests for each athlete). But he's still pretty bad. Got the wrong race early in the session (the women's 400) and then mis-identified the winner of the women's 100 hurdles in the replay (after correctly calling it live).
    I haven't watched Berlin yet, but Zurich was called by Steve Cram and Tim Hutchings, at least my feed was.
    Cheers,
    Alan Shank