Facts, Not Fiction

Page 28 of 31 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

I could (sort of) understand they got Lasa wrong, but Perez is a major name in her event and the current world leader. There's really no excuse there.
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Powell View Post
    I could (sort of) understand they got Lasa wrong, but Perez is a major name in her event and the current world leader. There's really no excuse there.
    IMO, there's no excuse either for getting Lasa wrong. He's been one of the top 8 or so in his event in the last few years. They should know more than just the top 2 or 3 in each event (clearly in some events Jill Montgomery can't even do that). Surely, it's part of their job to be well informed?

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by LuckySpikes View Post
    IMO, there's no excuse either for getting Lasa wrong. He's been one of the top 8 or so in his event in the last few years. They should know more than just the top 2 or 3 in each event (clearly in some events Jill Montgomery can't even do that). Surely, it's part of their job to be well informed?
    Absolutely. There’s no way a good commentator would be commentating without doing their homework. That’s just narrating then. Saying what’s happening. As opposed to being able to provide commentary.

4. Collapse Details

Administrator
    I've not been watching/listening, so I have no idea how bad the Pan-Am job is, but if I might, allow me to put on my in-defense-of-announcers hat for a minute here.

have y'all actually looked at what kind of source material they appear to be stuck with? Results are cluttered not only with matronymics but also all kinds of extraneous middle names. And the vast bulk of the people aren't of true international caliber How much homework do you think you'd have to do to be proficient at this example (the first event on the program)?

1 15
    PER
    TEJEDA PUCUHUARANGA Gladys Lucy
    2:30:55 PR
    2 17
    USA
    SACHTLEBEN Bethany
    2:31:20 +0:25 PB
    3 6
    COL
    ORJUELA SOCHE Angie Rocio
    2:32:27 +1:32 PB
    4 12
    ECU
    CHACHA CHACHA Rosa Alva
    2:32:45 +1:50 PB
    5 16
    USA
    ROECKER Samantha
    2:32:49 +1:54 PB
    6 2
    BRA
    DOS SANTOS SILVA Valdilene
    2:34:20 +3:25
    7 13
    MEX
    HÉRNANDEZ FLORES Margarita
    2:35:06 +4:11
    8 3
    BRA
    HESSEL Andreia Apareci
    2:35:40 +4:45
    9 11
    ECU
    BONILLA TELLO Andrea Paola
    2:40:38 +9:43 PB
    10 9
    CUB
    BELMONTE TORRES Dailín
    2:45:08 +14:13
    11 5
    CHIANGEL MANCILLA Verónica Daniel
    2:46:04 +15:09 PB
    12 8
    CRC
    TRAÑA Gabriela Gerard
    2:49:28 +18:33
    13 1
    ARG
    URRUTIA Maria Lujan
    2:50:09 +19:14
    14 7
    CRC
    MENDEZ Francy Yenny
    2:56:31 +25:36
    15 18
    VEN
    RODRIGUEZ MONTILLA Arelys Coromoto
    2:56:39 +25:44
    16 10
    CUB
    CASTILLO TUMBARELL Yudileyvis
    3:03:41 +32:46
    CHI
    ALVAREZ RIVERA Giselle Constan

5. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Especially for a broadcast hardly anyone is watching anyways...even the RG has nothing on the meet....

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    I've not been watching/listening, so I have no idea how bad the Pan-Am job is, but if I might, allow me to put on my in-defense-of-announcers hat for a minute here.

have y'all actually looked at what kind of source material they appear to be stuck with? Results are cluttered not only with matronymics but also all kinds of extraneous middle names. And the vast bulk of the people aren't of true international caliber How much homework do you think you'd have to do to be proficient at this example (the first event on the program)?

But I was talking about them not even appearing to be familiar with athletes who are amongst the best in their events and who've placed well in global finals. There's no excuse for that if they call themselves professional commentators.

7. Collapse Details

1 15
    PER
    TEJEDA PUCUHUARANGA Gladys Lucy
    2:30:55 PR
    2 17
    USA
    SACHTLEBEN Bethany
    2:31:20 +0:25 PB
    3 6
    COL
    ORJUELA SOCHE Angie Rocio
    2:32:27 +1:32 PB
    4 12
    ECU
    CHACHA CHACHA Rosa Alva
    2:32:45 +1:50 PB
    5 16
    USA
    ROECKER Samantha
    2:32:49 +1:54 PB
    6 2
    BRA
    DOS SANTOS SILVA Valdilene
    2:34:20 +3:25
    7 13
    MEX
    HÉRNANDEZ FLORES Margarita
    2:35:06 +4:11
    8 3
    BRA
    HESSEL Andreia Apareci
    2:35:40 +4:45
    9 11
    ECU
    BONILLA TELLO Andrea Paola
    2:40:38 +9:43 PB
    10 9
    CUB
    BELMONTE TORRES Dailín
    2:45:08 +14:13
    11 5
    CHIANGEL MANCILLA Verónica Daniel
    2:46:04 +15:09 PB
    12 8
    CRC
    TRAÑA Gabriela Gerard
    2:49:28 +18:33
    13 1
    ARG
    URRUTIA Maria Lujan
    2:50:09 +19:14
    14 7
    CRC
    MENDEZ Francy Yenny
    2:56:31 +25:36
    15 18
    VEN
    RODRIGUEZ MONTILLA Arelys Coromoto
    2:56:39 +25:44
    16 10
    CUB
    CASTILLO TUMBARELL Yudileyvis
    3:03:41 +32:46
    CHI
    ALVAREZ RIVERA Giselle Constan
    Point well taken. While not as lofty as some on here, I used to work the press box for our high school baseball and softball teams. There was one boy from the other team who had a very unusual name. I tried to get the coach to help with the pronunciation in the dugout, but he was busy. So, after my first attempt at it during the initial introductions, I could tell who his mother was. She was the one glaring at me with utter disdain. I tried another pronunciation for his first at bat, and got a slightly more indignant reaction. Apparently, third time was the charm, and she raised her hands and yelled "finally!".

8. Collapse Details

Not a huge amount, considering there were no other T&F events that day besides the marathon, with a total of 35 entrants in men's and women's races combined. You could look them all up on Tilastopaja or IAAF websites in half an hour at most to find the standard versions of their names. Or faster, if you concentrate on just the top contenders. And I know what I'm talking about - I've often had to do this with Kenyan and Ethiopian runners when writing reports from road races, since their names come in many variants and are often misspelled on startlists.

Having said that, the name format used on the Pan Ams website is terrible.
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

9. Collapse Details

Some people may find this list interesting. Especially #70...

https://news.education.investing.com...s/70/?ref=next

10. Collapse Details

David Coleman, previously mentioned in the thread was probably the best British commentator at generating excitement. Much of what he said was gleaned from the help given by the stats guys.
    From 1970-96 that was Stan Greenberg, and since then it's been Mark Butler - both superb gleaners of information. Stan, who at 88 still produces monthly UK top-20 lists, used to produce a card for each event, hand written with all the details a commentator would need. Without this info they'd be lost. One of David's failings was that he didn't always read Stan's card thoroughly, and problems could ensue.
    During the 1976 Olympic marathon, there was no big break until 15 miles when Shorter broke clear with only Cierpinski for company. Coleman pointed out that the Pole - Cierpinski was a big surprise. Stan told him that Cierpinski was in fact German, but Coleman wouldn't hear of it, and was only convinced when he was shown the detail in the card. Getting out of his gross error was simply a matter of fibbing with "Shorter continues to be threatened by Cierpinski, the GDR runner, who did all his early training in Poland"