Facts, Not Fiction

Page 27 of 31 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

I think SRR is ok, maybe a 6 out of 10 as a commentator. She does have insights about the sprints and can articulate them. Ato on the other hand is at least a 9 out of 10, insightful and super knowledgeable about the scene, and spot on with context and the significance of small details.

2. Collapse Details

What are the names of these two famous Brits? One of them might still be active.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m65CdhhGUxs

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Pakilo View Post
    What are the names of these two famous Brits? One of them might still be active.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m65CdhhGUxs
    The first is the late, great David Coleman and the other is Brendan Foster who retired (or was pushed out?) from athletics commentary about 18 months ago. He'd played an ever decreasing role since Paula Radcliffe was taken on by the BBC.
    Last edited by LuckySpikes; 07-16-2019 at 12:53 PM.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by LuckySpikes View Post
    The first is the late, great David Coleman and the other is Brendan Foster who retired (or was pushed out?) from athletics commentary about 18 months ago. He'd played an ever decreasing role since Paula Radcliffe was taken on by the BBC.
    Thank you! I was sure the second guy was doing the commentary just a few years back. I think I liked his commentary. The first, epic voice is familiar to me thanks to all the videos available online.

5. Collapse Details

Hubert Lawrence is the best commentator you've never heard of. Worst are some of the Flotrack guys, don't know the names but generally they make everything seem boring.
    why don't people pronounce vowels anymore

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Vault-emort View Post
    ^^ It still depends on the actual athlete. I remember Cathy Freeman doing some commentary for the BBC when she took a season off after Sydney 2000 and it's no surprise she wasn't invited back. Some athletes have it, some don't.

An articulate multi-eventer is the one I would be looking for if I was a TV sports head looking for a new expert commentator.
    LOL, I remember Cathy on the BBC. Had she been smoking weed just before??!

Re the articulate multi-eventer, I'm not sure that's the answer. I find Dan O'Brien to be a poor commentator. And, as an "analyst", Denise Lewis rarely brings any insight.
    Last edited by LuckySpikes; 07-16-2019 at 02:45 PM.

7. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Quote Originally Posted by LuckySpikes View Post
    The best and the worst of BBC commentators....

8. Collapse Details

David Coleman's commentary during the 1968 Olympic 1500 and 1972 Olympic 5000 was terrific.

9. Collapse Details

I will confess that I have not read all 27 pages of this post, so forgive me if this guy has been mentioned. Back in the 80's on US track coverage, one of the networks used a guy who used to coach Ohio State University track. His ability to describe the action was always well after what had actually happened.

But the lowlight of his work, for me, was during a Women's 800m race. He (mis)pronounced the Russian runner's name at least 3 times. I believe it was Nadezhda Olizaryenko. I suppose my spelling is not much better than his announcing.

10. Collapse Details

Watching the Pan Am coverage on ESPNU you can tell that Stones, O'Brien & Montgomery don't actually follow the sport in any detail. In the discus Montogomery called the winner Yaime Tellez when everyone knows it's Yaime Perez (the caption said Yaime Perez Tellez). Likewise calling Fernanda Martins by her other family name Borges. Then Stones called the Uruguayan long jumper Emiliano Sanchez instead of the name he's known by, Emiliano Lasa. Just hopeless!