Facts, Not Fiction

Page 24 of 31 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    then there are those of us who revel in field-event interruptions and would rather see "complete" jumps/throws with minor interruptions to those intrusive races. (distances or otherwise)
    So, NBC Gold is perfect for you; you don't have to watch the races at all!
    Cheers,
    Alan Shank

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by KDFINE View Post
    But their truncated telecasts are not designed to make anyone a fan.
    Let me clarify what I meant by truncated. When a telecast goes from a commercial, to maybe two attempts at a height with blather, and then to another commercial break, that is what I mean by truncated. Truncated to me also means the inability to show any race of more than four laps without interrupting it with a commercial break. It is horrific television.

3. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Shank View Post

During the Bowerman Mile, gh gave splits, calling them 440 yards, 880 yards, 1320 yards; my question is: at what points were those splits taken? The Flash Results splits were all taken at the finish line, so the splits were 409 meters, 809 meters, etc. In order to get yard splits, you have to take times at points 2.34 meters past the start line, 4.68 meters past the start line, etc. Was somebody actually doing that?....
    are you freaking serious?! After all my decades in the sport (and in the booth) do you thinnk I was making shit up?

4. Collapse Details

from an IP that never sent jazz that PM, never !
    I can roll with just about any style of commentary, but the only thing that absolutely infuriates me is when a commentator makes an off color or derogatory comment about an athlete. That should be grounds for firing but it seldom is.

5. Collapse Details

are you freaking serious?! After all my decades in the sport (and in the booth) do you thinnk I was making shit up?
    You didn't answer the question, did you? Where were those splits taken, and who gave them to you?
    Cheers,
    Alan Shank

6. Collapse Details

then there are those of us who revel in field-event interruptions and would rather see "complete" jumps/throws with minor interruptions to those intrusive races. (distances or otherwise)
    Too good!!! I agree though, I would love to see the field events as they unfold as well as the entire track events, but there's no way to properly cover both in a 2 hour time frame, since they unfold simultaneously.
    Last edited by bobguild76; 07-03-2019 at 02:36 AM.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by LuckySpikes View Post
    I always look for kilometre splits in the Steeple (I prefer them) but they're not often provided on-screen except for at the DL meetings and occasional others. Fortunately, I've got pretty good at judging them by eye - for an inside water jump, the 1km split is ~20m before the finish line (on the appropriate lap) and the 2km split is ~10m before the 200m mark (on the appropriate lap). If the camera shot is too tight to judge where the lines are then I do an approximate subtraction based on their time over the line and the rough pace they're running (for example, for international or good collegiate men & women the 1km split is 3-4 seconds before the finish line).

It is amazing though how many commentators don't understand this and will give incorrect kilometre splits & pace projections based on crossing the finish line or 200m mark.

For an outside water jump I find the 1km split harder to judge but I know the 2km split is pretty much as they cross the water jump with 2 and a bit laps to go.
    The 1km split is always at the start line for the 2000 steeple (as long as the track has one!).

8. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trickstat View Post
    The 1km split is always at the start line for the 2000 steeple (as long as the track has one!).
    That is true....but hardly easy to find on TV...but it is something to remember...

9. Collapse Details

This is stranger than fiction! I have watched the Prefontaine meet on
    1) the Olympic channel
    2) NBC (channel 3 in Sacramento)
    3) NBC Gold

They are all slightly different.
    On NBC, during the three longer-than-4-lap events, they put the commercial breaks in a separate window, continuing the races in another window. They also split the screen when showing a put by Michelle Carter during the W SC, and at other times showed Gong, Crouser, etc., but every minute of those races was shown, either full-screen or in a separate, smaller window.

On the Olympic channel, they split the screen for the field-event attempts, but the commercials took the whole screen and we missed chunks of the long races.

On NBC Gold, there were no commercials, but more field-event breaks and no split screen, so smaller chunks of the long races were missed.

It blows me away that the network flag station was the one to let us watch the race during the commercials. It also implies that there are three different directors deciding what gets broadcast.

I have to contact support@nbcsportsgold again, and also channel 3/NBC to give them kudos, although I don't think the rest of the DL meets will be on channel 3/NBC, which I believe only shows domestic meets. The DL meets overseas are on either NBCSN or Olympic channel.
    Cheers,
    Alan Shank
    Woodland, CA, USA

10. Collapse Details

Alan, I also found it wonderful that NBC showed the races while on some of their commercial breaks.