Facts, Not Fiction

Page 23 of 31 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Yes, there was a person kneeling by the track getting the 440, 880, and 1,320 yard splits during the mile run at Sunday's Pre Classic.

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by DrJay View Post
    Would someone please chloroform Craig Masback before the next DL meet? Droning on about the rabbits and other furries that Laura Muir had as childhood pets as a very good 1500 was actually under way and getting pretty wound up.
    Yes, he is horrible. For the overseas DL meets, NBC has been using Paul Swangard, Ato and Josh Cox, who is quite knowledgeable if not very polished. But on domestic meets, they "regress" to using this guy Leigh, Ato, Sanya and Craig, with Lewis Johnson on the field to ask each winner (or American 2nd placer), "What does this victory mean to you", "How were you able to .....".

Masback doesn't understand that the first lap of the steeple has no water jump and only 3 hurdles, so it's going to be faster than the rest of the laps. The steeple needs to be understood as seven laps with 28 hurdles and 7 water jumps, plus an initial segment with no jumps tacked on to make it 3000 meters; this segment is around 227 meters if the water jump is inside, about 64 meters for an outside-water-jump course. The only good way to judge the pace of a steeple is to take a time the first time they pass the finish line, and then the next seven laps are all the same. After they've completed the first full lap (from the finish line, with all the jumps), the projected time is (that lap * 7) + initial segment. With a standard setup and an interior water jump, the laps are 396.084 meters; with an outside WJ, 419.407 meters. Yes, it IS rocket science >:-).
    Cheers,
    Alan Shank

3. Collapse Details

I was a bit distracted by excessive teeth-sucking on the NBC Gold commentary. I'm sure it's unintentional, but it brought to mind the ancient David Jason comedy Sharp Intake of Breath.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Shank View Post

Masback doesn't understand that the first lap of the steeple has no water jump and only 3 hurdles, so it's going to be faster than the rest of the laps. The steeple needs to be understood as seven laps with 28 hurdles and 7 water jumps, plus an initial segment with no jumps tacked on to make it 3000 meters; this segment is around 227 meters if the water jump is inside, about 64 meters for an outside-water-jump course. The only good way to judge the pace of a steeple is to take a time the first time they pass the finish line, and then the next seven laps are all the same. After they've completed the first full lap (from the finish line, with all the jumps), the projected time is (that lap * 7) + initial segment. With a standard setup and an interior water jump, the laps are 396.084 meters; with an outside WJ, 419.407 meters. Yes, it IS rocket science >:-).
    Cheers,
    Alan Shank
    I always look for kilometre splits in the Steeple (I prefer them) but they're not often provided on-screen except for at the DL meetings and occasional others. Fortunately, I've got pretty good at judging them by eye - for an inside water jump, the 1km split is ~20m before the finish line (on the appropriate lap) and the 2km split is ~10m before the 200m mark (on the appropriate lap). If the camera shot is too tight to judge where the lines are then I do an approximate subtraction based on their time over the line and the rough pace they're running (for example, for international or good collegiate men & women the 1km split is 3-4 seconds before the finish line).

It is amazing though how many commentators don't understand this and will give incorrect kilometre splits & pace projections based on crossing the finish line or 200m mark.

For an outside water jump I find the 1km split harder to judge but I know the 2km split is pretty much as they cross the water jump with 2 and a bit laps to go.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Shank View Post
    BTW, I sent an e-mail to support@nbcsportsgold.com on June 16, asking them to at least use split-screen to continue showing the distance races when they are going to show a field-event attempt. Guess what?? On the NBC telecast they did just that; of course, they still broke for commercials. I'm not necessarily taking credit for that but...
    Cheers,
    Alan Shank
    Woodland, CA, USA
    That was awesome, and we will give you the credit. Now, if you could just get them to stop showing the hand ringing the bell.....

6. Collapse Details

That was awesome, and we will give you the credit. Now, if you could just get them to stop showing the hand ringing the bell.....
    That's my next assignment! >:-)
    Cheers,
    Alan Shank

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    they may not please the existing hardcore, but I have little/no doubt that a nice tight 2-hour package creates more fans from among the great unwashed than would a 3-4 hour dragathon.
    I found the pace of action to be just right, except for interrupting the distance races to show field events. But all in all, the 2 hour telecast was a good length. Now, if only we could have announcers as good as BBC.

8. Collapse Details

Here's the odd part -- on the NBC Gold feed, which I just watched, there was no split screen at all. WTF?
    Cheers,
    Alan Shank

9. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by bobguild76 View Post
    I found the pace of action to be just right, except for interrupting the distance races to show field events. But all in all, the 2 hour telecast was a good length. Now, if only we could have announcers as good as BBC.
    then there are those of us who revel in field-event interruptions and would rather see "complete" jumps/throws with minor interruptions to those intrusive races. (distances or otherwise)

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleRBar View Post
    Yes, there was a person kneeling by the track getting the 440, 880, and 1,320 yard splits during the mile run at Sunday's Pre Classic.
    I saw a guy kneeling and either taking times or calling out splits during the 2 Mile, but he was kneeling at the START line, and didn't move for each lap. I couldn't see as well during the mile, but, here again, it was at the start line and did not move.

Also, in TN, all the splits were from the finish line, 418, 818, etc.
    Cheers,
    Alan Shank