Facts, Not Fiction

Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Re: Best/worst T&F commentators
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlow
    Quote Originally Posted by gh
    He went on to honcho CBS's track series which ran in the summers of '69 and '70 as I recall.
    Which, by the way, were AWESOME. The theme-song was Jefferson Airplane's She Has Funny Cars.
    Adrian Metcalfe and Ralph Boston also did a bit of announcing on that CBS track series. Bill Toomey also comes to mind.

2. Collapse Details
    I like Tim Hutchings, Ato Boldon, Craig Masback, and Toni Reavis. I'm hot and cold on Steve Cram, but that might just be after reading some of his columns. I think he and many other Brits are far too sanctimonious on the issue of doping.

3. Collapse Details
    In 2011 Channel 4 in the Uk got the rights for the World Athketics championship from the BBC.

They put a alternative light entertainment presenter with no knowledge of sport or experience of live sporting events to present it. I'd explain how bad it was but my link below is a "toy ahev to see it to believe it" job. He was dropped half way for somebody slightly better, a childrens presenter, slightly better a sin you cna tell he presents eveyrthing to children. The worst thing was they had the knoweldge that Michael Johnson has been the best analyst in Track and Field for yonks now, his sliky smooth voice, his ability to explain Track specific details in eays to udnerstand terms and his obvious passion and honestly is why we wnat toa dopt from form the USA forever. All I could think was Johnson wa swatching this disaster and thinking "WTFing bunch of uneducated amateurs" constantly. And horrific as it was nobody blames their presenters, they were sooooo out of their depth it was a joke. Their boses should have been fired though. Thank God it reverted to the BBC again this year

here are the worst moments in the history of track and field on TV EVER! ops:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xkswky ... rclass_fun

4. Collapse Details
    My favorite US announcing came during the 1992 Barcelona Olympics. NBC had the Red, White & Blue package, which was a financial failure, but I loved the reporting. Dwight Stones, Marty Liquori, and Frank Shorter provided the "expert" commentary, but I forget who was the anchor. They were all superb.

The beautiful thing was, they weren't catering to the general audience, and therefore stayed away from fluff commentary. They also provided prime time NBC coverage, and the difference between their live RW&B commentary and the "not quite live" NBC commentary was night and day. I particularly enjoyed the Men's 10k, when Skah & Chelimo lapped Boutayeb, and Boutayeb proceeded to impede Chelimo. Liquori was livid, and said something along the lines of, "Someone needs to jump on Boutayeb and smack him!" Perfect, but not a chance it would be on a prime time NBC show. Of course, NBC would never show a commercial free 10k in the first place.

Other US favorites are Tony Reavis & Craig Masback. I also love the BBC commentary. Knowledgable and articulate, and as a Yank, I love their use of words. "This is a cracking race."

I do not enjoy NBC coverage at all ... but they (NBC) know their audience, which is not us, and they deliver a product that reaches said audience.

5. Collapse Details
    In recent years, I have really enjoyed Tim Hutchings and Peter Matthews. Also, regarding the British presentation of the OG that I viewed online, there were others I really appreciated -- don't know their names -- involved with various events throughout the Games.

Have always appreciated Dwight Stones commentary, but it is limited by the overall generally lousy presentation of T&F on USA broadcasts. He has little time to do much of anything.

6. Collapse Details
    ???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Quote Originally Posted by gh
    The gold standard from a U.S. point of view was Dick Bank (who while in the booth only in a consulting position, grabbed the mike from Bud Palmer in Tokyo in '64 when the latter froze up and wasn't IDing Mills: that was Dick screaming). He went on to honcho CBS's track series which ran in the summers of '69 and '70 as I recall.
    I remember when he suddenly disappeared. Something about following Little League baseball or something. All seemed very strange.

PS. I don't think you could call it freezing up on Palmer. More like focused on something else at the time. There was quite a battle between Clarke and Gammoudi going on and suddenly Mills is in the mix, with a lot of lapped runners all over the place.

Anyways, a great audio.

7. Collapse Details
    I wish I knew the name of the incompetent stadium announcer at the 2001 World Championships in Edmonton. He was a French-Canadian whose command of English was even worse than his T & F knowledge. He would constantly babble on about people having a fight (he meant battle), or else you couldn't even understand him. I kept saying to myself : For God's sake why don't you shut up!

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by noone
    I wish I knew the name of the incompetent stadium announcer at the 2001 World Championships in Edmonton. He was a French-Canadian whose command of English was even worse than his T & F knowledge. He would constantly babble on about people having a fight (he meant battle), or else you couldn't even understand him. I kept saying to myself : For God's sake why don't you shut up!

Ona similar note Deagu 2011 seemed to have all sorts of weird technical failures at the starting line (men's 400m hurdles) and false starts (Men's 100m, women's 400m), I often wonder was there some unusual or rubbish procedure or announcements that seem to interfere with athletes then?

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by eldanielfire
    In 2011 Channel 4 in the Uk got the rights for the World Athketics championship from the BBC.

They put a alternative light entertainment presenter with no knowledge of sport or experience of live sporting events to present it. I'd explain how bad it was but my link below is a "toy ahev to see it to believe it" job.
    ORTIS DELEY'S SEVEN BIGGEST TV MISTAKES'
    …so, we have a gloriously sunny day here in the studio, erm, we’ve seen some action as well this morning as well, Jessica Ennis. Goodnight.’

‘..history in the making as Oscar Pistorius from South Africa makes history.’‘…time now for another break, erm, and when we come back we’ll of course have, erm, more coverage for you from [pause] here, erm…’

‘…commentators are Rob Walling, Rob Rawling, and [smiling] I keep getting these names wrong, I do apologise, [pause] Rob Walker and John Rawling.’

‘…joining myself and Michael in the studio is the one, the only Tyson Gay. That’s me [pause], Michael Johnson [pause] and Tyson Gay in the same studio.’

‘…now Daegu plays host to the 13th IAAF World Athletic Championships, two hundred, two thousand and eleven.’

‘…and we talk to the hottest athlete of the moment , the honourable Leo [pause] Usain [pause] Bolt. It’s Leo, St Leo, Usain Bolt. We’ll be talking to him.’

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... tarts.html
    At the other end of the scale was the late Ron Pickering.
    Knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance

10. Collapse Details
    They put a alternative light entertainment presenter with no knowledge of sport or experience of live sporting events to present it. I'd explain how bad it was but my link below...

i just watched it and i must agree that i have NEVER EVER seen anything this bad !
    truly unprofessional, where did they find this clown ? and who hired him for this job ?
    it makes larry rawson, carol lewis and tom hammond seem like geniuses lol !