Facts, Not Fiction

Page 16 of 31 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Peter Matthews talks in a way that he assumes his audience is intelligent and know the sport...unlike you know who treats his audience as an unruly high school algebra class....

2. Collapse Details

Peter Matthews is my choice...one of the few Brits I can understand.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by cladthin View Post
    The worst commentators: Hammond, Carol Lewis, Rawson and Todd Harris.

Best: A number of Brits.
    I used to not like Carol Lewis, but after a while, I realized that she was actually pretty good, and I very much enjoyed her perspective. I wish they'd bring her back. Hammond was kind of average to me. not great, but not bad.

With NBC Gold field event streams, I mostly just listen to the ambient stadium sound these days.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Merner521 View Post
    I used to not like Carol Lewis, but after a while, I realized that she was actually pretty good, and I very much enjoyed her perspective. I wish they'd bring her back. Hammond was kind of average to me. not great, but not bad.

With NBC Gold field event streams, I mostly just listen to the ambient stadium sound these days.
    Congratulations! I think you are the only one on this site who ever liked Carol Lewis. Thank God she will never return to network commentary (I hope!)

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Vault-emort View Post
    After watching the world feed of the Pan Pacs swimming this weekend, i'm starting to think we are probably quite lucky in athletics. I think Peter Mathews could have done a better job than the guy (John Burgess) at the swimming.

To cap off four days of mistakes and mispronunciations - including making up many new words - he called the final two (medley) relays using team line-ups from the freestyle relays and didn't seem to notice...
    PanPacs quickly became unlistenable; Muted!!

6. Collapse Details

Can we re-visit Jim McKay and Dick Bank? No, ok.

7. Collapse Details

How about Bud Palmer and Dick Bank....Mutiny in the Broadcast booth...

Btw...swimming is hard to comment on...they spend half the time under water...come up for a few strokes and repeat...
    Last edited by Conor Dary; 08-17-2018 at 10:06 PM.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary View Post
    How about Bud Palmer and Dick Bank....Mutiny in the Broadcast booth......
    I think NBC overreacted when they fired Dick Bank after his “Look at Mills” call. It was obvious that lead announcer, Bud Palmer, didn’t see Mills, and he wasn’t going to get a call until after he won the race. Contrary to what some people think, Palmer and Bank each had a microphone. So, Bank didn’t rip the mic away from Palmer like some people think. I believe that Bank said Palmer had thanked him for doing what he did after the race. Regardless, it was a memorable call of a great finish!

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by TWalsh View Post
    I think NBC overreacted when they fired Dick Bank after his “Look at Mills” call. It was obvious that lead announcer, Bud Palmer, didn’t see Mills, and he wasn’t going to get a call until after he won the race. Contrary to what some people think, Palmer and Bank each had a microphone. So, Bank didn’t rip the mic away from Palmer like some people think. I believe that Bank said Palmer had thanked him for doing what he did after the race. Regardless, it was a memorable call of a great finish!
    Palmer actually thanked him? I heard different... Anyways yes a call for the ages...and Bank ended up on CBS but just a few years later gave it all up for Little League Baseball if I remember right...
    Last edited by Conor Dary; 08-18-2018 at 01:39 AM.

10. Collapse Details

Palmer actually thanked him? I heard different... Anyways yes a call for the ages...
    The 2015 posting by T&FN of the recollections of Dick Bank about the call has apparently not been moved over to the new site. For reference, here is a link to an archived snapshot of the page:

https://web.archive.org/web/20150827104650/http://www.trackandfieldnews.com/index.php/category-features/2545-dick-bank-on-his-billy-mills-1964-race-call

There is no mention of whether Palmer thanked him for interjecting, but since Bank refers to Palmer as a ”good friend” and “one of the finest people” he had ever met it seems that a thank-you is more likely than the opposite.

...and Bank ended up on CBS but just a few years later gave it all up for Little League Baseball if I remember right...
    Perhaps Little League was a factor, but I believe his best-known Post-Track & Field passion is for producing jazz recordings.
    https://www.discogs.com/artist/4212684-Dick-Bank