Facts, Not Fiction

Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

1. Collapse Details
    Best/worst T&F commentators
    We are coming from different countries and we are of different ages but I guess this is an interesting topic. What do you like, what do you hate? Names, TVs, all...
    I think TV commentators play huge role in increasing/repelling potential fans.

I've been following the sport on many different TVs (mostly on Serbian, Italian, Russian, German, Croatian...) and even if I don't understand everything I pretty much know when someone is boring, irritating, bad or good. Not to mention one time when there wasn't the start list for men's 5000m (Golden League meet) and the guy didn't recognize anyone :x

2. Collapse Details

Although it was not my intention I ended up watching complete Rio athletics on what I believe was some kind of official broadcast feed. Three commentators were engaged.

I have to give high grades to two of them and they are Peter Donegan and Rob Walker. Both very talented plus I liked the Aussie accent from the first guy. I was just blown away by their comments several times.

Third guy, John Trower, who was announcing field events wasn't great. He really struggled with names pronunciation and just did not appear to be a T&F follower. His voice also a little bit annoying.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Pakilo View Post
    Although it was not my intention I ended up watching complete Rio athletics on what I believe was some kind of official broadcast feed. Three commentators were engaged.

I have to give high grades to two of them and they are Peter Donegan and Rob Walker. Both very talented plus I liked the Aussie accent from the first guy. I was just blown away by their comments several times.

Third guy, John Trower, who was announcing field events wasn't great. He really struggled with names pronunciation and just did not appear to be a T&F follower. His voice also a little bit annoying.
    They were pretty good. Trower was funny with his pronunciations. Ryan Cruiser in particular.

4. Collapse Details

He's actually a former GB javelin international (late 70s to early 80s IIRC) who then went on to coach Steve Backley amongst others. While technical knowledge is a useful attribute when covering field events in particular, it is not good if you come across as if you've just arrived from 15 years ago and know little of the current leading exponents.

5. Collapse Details

I ended up watching television (CBC, TSN, TSN2 and NBC). Only reason I watched via NBC was for Ato and Sanya's commentary plus they would catch things that other networks or streams wouldn't.

CBC was pretty solid since their broadcast was actually live (NBC was like 25 seconds behind). They also had Donovan Bailey and Perdita Felicien come in as guest analysts in-studio. The broadcast team was cool (Mark Lee, Michael Smith, Dave Moorcroft) but the main guy (I forgot his name) wasn't as sharp or educated like an Ato Boldon or someone from BBC.

CBC partnered with all the TSN networks (TSN 1, 2, 3, 4) and all Sportsnet networks for Olympic coverage. So if action was heating up in the Long Jump on CBC, you could switch to TSN 1 which would show a live track event.

Now when this would happen, the other channel would use the official broadcast feed that pakilo mentioned. No commercials, flawless. Also a lot of the morning sessions on CBC was just them piggybacking the official broadcast feed which was great too.

I didn't check CBC's online stream (CBCSports.ca) but based off recent history, especially World Championships, I'm pretty sure they used that official broadcast feed too.

NBC adding Sanya and Trey Hardee were excellent moves. Both are natural fits for TV and they were refreshing to listen to. Ato was solid as always but I felt sometimes he focused too much on stat stuffing (Women's 400h final) which at times can be overwhelming and confusing. Also for the first time he got a lot of information wrong (said English Gardener never made a major final, said Rio was Gemili's first Olympics, said Deon Hemmings won her Olympic title in Beijing?).

Tom Hammond was terrible as usual and didn't give any memorable calls like Tom Hamond of the past. He's getting old and losing "it". Too much dead air at moments you'd expect a thrilling call or catch phrase, and a lot of times focusing on one athlete in a race when another is making a move/challenging.

Sadly, I couldn't find a BBC stream until the last day of track action. That hurt since I know they delivered and are the best when it comes to T&F coverage.
    Last edited by Weights&Shoes; 08-24-2016 at 03:05 PM.

6. Collapse Details

Kenny Albert was a pleasant surprise.
    Tom Hyland:
    "squack and wineturtle get it"

7. Collapse Details

Thanks for identifying the third one, pakilo. Very annoying mispronunciation of names, and added very little to the commentary.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gm View Post
    Thanks for identifying the third one, pakilo. Very annoying mispronunciation of names, and added very little to the commentary.
    Yes, just what position they are currently in the competition and stuff like that, added very little. He even had difficulties with pronunciation of countries as well as with established athletes with long careers.

I liked the other two guys, Peter Donegan and Rob Walker.
    Last edited by Pakilo; 08-22-2016 at 01:02 PM.

9. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Tom Hammond wasn't that bad... at least he tried..but out of his depth...more of a network thing with the same guy doing multiple sports...it never works...
    Last edited by Conor Dary; 08-11-2018 at 01:31 AM.

10. Collapse Details

I vote for no commentary at all...who needs them...
    Last edited by cubehead; 08-21-2016 at 07:13 PM.