Facts, Not Fiction

Page 20 of 27 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Shank View Post
    NBC seems to have more-or-less settled on Paul Swangard, Ato and Josh Cox, and they are not bad at all.
    Swangard is a great addition. NBC has also used Leigh Diffey as main host, including at Pre last year.

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Shank View Post
    Steve Cram probably doesn't know your name, either. >:-)
    Ha! I was thinking Peter Matthews and Steve Cram, and that's what I got!

Matthews knows the sport, for sure, but not the technical aspects as much. Talking technique is the touch I need in my viewing. In the stadium, I don't expect or need it. I just need to know what's going on in the 3-ring circus. I'm sure I've mentioned this before, but gh's calls at the last 3 OTs have been superlative.
    Last edited by Atticus; 06-25-2019 at 12:03 AM.

3. Collapse Details

Speaking of good commentators, you forgot Mike Costello who provides (provided?) play-by-plays for the BBC radio (no, no, not television). He has an unique voice, clear articulation and he usually manages to get through the race without mistakes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuaQuSoZE2I

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by The Klingon View Post
    I am not making excuses for anyone, but how often does track analysts/commentators have to hone their skills compared to tennis analysts/commentators? I mean tennis has its own channel. Tennis is on television all the time. That is not the case with track and field. I think track commentators are at a disadvantage, because they don't really work that often, well, compared to tennis commentators they don't. Do track analysts screw up from time to time? You damn right they do. However, I am inclined to cut them some slack. Hell, I screw up on my job too. I don't get it right all the time. I will bet the rest of yall don't either. But anyway, just my opinion folks.
    You screw up on your job? Who should we report that to?

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Pego View Post
    IMHO, US commentators.

Best - Hockey (both NHL and College)
    Worst - Soccer
    Second worst - T&F
    I've said this several times on this board, but I think the best expert commentator on any sport, although you rarely see it, is Cynthia Potter on diving. Listening to her, I actually think I know something about the technical aspects of diving. Met her one time and she was very nice, although she liked that I told her that.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by NotDutra5 View Post
    I'm not sure I qualify as even a casual NHL fan but I tune in to the finals for the sole purpose of listening to Doc Emrick.
    We were blessed with Doc as the NJ Devils announcer until he decided to reduce his schedule a few years ago. I love hearing him again each year for the playoffs.

7. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Halfmiler2 View Post
    We were blessed with Doc as the NJ Devils announcer until he decided to reduce his schedule a few years ago. I love hearing him again each year for the playoffs.
    totally biased Northeaster

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by bambam1729 View Post
    I've said this several times on this board, but I think the best expert commentator on any sport, although you rarely see it, is Cynthia Potter on diving. Listening to her, I actually think I know something about the technical aspects of diving. Met her one time and she was very nice, although she liked that I told her that.
    Yes, a delight to listen to.
    "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
    by Thomas Henry Huxley

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by bambam1729 View Post
    You screw up on your job? Who should we report that to?
    Why you snitch you!!!!! LOL!!!

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by The Klingon View Post
    I respectfully disagree concerning Chris Evert.
    Evert in her second (and current) iteration is not as bad as her first stint. When ESPN brought her back, I thought "Oh, no. Not again." But it has not been the disaster I was expecting. I think the reason is that Capriati and Hingis are now gone, and Venus is no longer a serious contender. So she does not have any player she can make those unsubstantiated, outlandish comments about. (And fortunately, she has not found any one else to prop up.)

Still, compared to Mary Joe Fernandez, Pam Shriver, Lindsay Davenport and Martina Navratilova, Evert is like a semi-serious hobby jogger among Olympians.