Facts, Not Fiction

Page 19 of 31 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by guru View Post
    I may have said this before but the sport with the best TV analysts/commentators is tennis, hands down. The only person I don't care for is Chris Evert, but thankfully she only works for ESPN. Tennis Channel has a stable of about 10 former pros commentating, and they're all fabulous.
    I am not making excuses for anyone, but how often does track analysts/commentators have to hone their skills compared to tennis analysts/commentators? I mean tennis has its own channel. Tennis is on television all the time. That is not the case with track and field. I think track commentators are at a disadvantage, because they don't really work that often, well, compared to tennis commentators they don't. Do track analysts screw up from time to time? You damn right they do. However, I am inclined to cut them some slack. Hell, I screw up on my job too. I don't get it right all the time. I will bet the rest of yall don't either. But anyway, just my opinion folks.

2. Collapse Details

I'm at most a casual hockey fan, but the guy who does the play-by-play for the Stanley Cup playoffs is stellar.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by DrJay View Post
    I'm at most a casual hockey fan, but the guy who does the play-by-play for the Stanley Cup playoffs is stellar.
    I'm not sure I qualify as even a casual NHL fan but I tune in to the finals for the sole purpose of listening to Doc Emrick.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by DrJay View Post
    I guess we are more critical when it comes to T&F commentators than those of other sports, just because we know more about it and can recognize BS when we hear it. If I watch fencing, I'll have no clue whether the commentator knows what he's talking about.
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Powell View Post
    I guess we are more critical when it comes to T&F commentators than those of other sports, just because we know more about it and can recognize BS when we hear it.
    Good point. Even great Olympians (Peter Cram) don't know enough about the events they didn't compete in. Some of the Brit commentators are not 'annoying' but they don't know the technical side of the sport. I guess that's why Dwight is my favorite. He's not only a very informed fan (I'm talking about you, Tom Hammond . . . not!), but he understands the technical side of all the events, and he gets super-excited when cool things happen that other commentators don't even notice. When he makes mistakes, he owns up to them. The lady in the NCAA telecast not only babbled, but when she made an egregious mistake, she just moved on with no correction.

6. Collapse Details

Track and Field is different than most other sports because an event champion who knows a lot about her event area still does not have that kind of knowledge about most of track and field (and two sexes). While there are multiple positions in BB/FB, etc., they are not wholly different events.

7. Collapse Details

IMHO, US commentators.

Best - Hockey (both NHL and College)
    Worst - Soccer
    Second worst - T&F
    "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
    by Thomas Henry Huxley

8. Collapse Details

Hearing the USATF.tv guy in the booth at the U20, I thought he was pretty good. Don't know who he is, but he was knowledgeable and had a good presentation.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Pego View Post
    IMHO, US commentators.

Best - Hockey (both NHL and College)
    Worst - Soccer
    Second worst - T&F
    I dunno, the women's world cup announcers have been pretty good. They're definitely getting better. I haven't heard the idiot remarks that I still regularly hear from US track announcers.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    Good point. Even great Olympians (Peter Cram) don't know enough about the events they didn't compete in.
    Steve Cram probably doesn't know your name, either. >:-)

I have some old video tapes of WCs, with Peter Matthews and Chris Ovett :-) doing all the commentary. They are both pretty good. I can see why some think PM is "boring", because he's very laid back and never gets excited. I would love to hear him on NBC Gold, but I like Cram and "Stew" Hutchings, and Chris Dennis is OK too. The guy I really couldn't stand was Stuart Storey. It's true that Dwight Stones would be a welcome addition for the field events, but he is on ABC/ESPN now, paired with horrible partners. NBC seems to have more-or-less settled on Paul Swangard, Ato and Josh Cox, and they are not bad at all.
    Cheers,
    Alan Shank
    Woodland, CA USA