Facts, Not Fiction

Page 1 of 31 12311 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Best/worst T&F commentators
    We are coming from different countries and we are of different ages but I guess this is an interesting topic. What do you like, what do you hate? Names, TVs, all...
    I think TV commentators play huge role in increasing/repelling potential fans.

I've been following the sport on many different TVs (mostly on Serbian, Italian, Russian, German, Croatian...) and even if I don't understand everything I pretty much know when someone is boring, irritating, bad or good. Not to mention one time when there wasn't the start list for men's 5000m (Golden League meet) and the guy didn't recognize anyone :x

2. Collapse Details
    Re: Best/worst T&F commentators
    ???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Quote Originally Posted by pakillo
    I don't think commentators have much impact, unless you are a big fan already.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary
    Quote Originally Posted by pakillo
    Perhaps you just haven't seen anyone good (or bad) enough to make the impact yet 8-)

Ours, on the whole, are and have been fairly competent, but I suspect some people here would have trouble adjusting to them, especially Antero Mertaranta and his followers. Let's just say he became a minor celebrity in the Czech Republic thanks to his commentary of Špotáková's last throw at Beijing

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by LopenUupunut
    Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary
    Perhaps you just haven't seen anyone good (or bad) enough to make the impact yet 8-)
    A bad one (Ms. L) is like fingernails on a chalkboard and makes you grit your teeth for the duration. A good one (those Brits on the Universal feel) can enhance your enjoyment by getting excited and provided interesting background and pertinent split/series info. gh on the mike at the OT was a perfect example, esp. in the field events. He made the mDT and wJT (and the rest) very exciting. Once the crowd is into it (because they understand what's developing) it's more than just a track meet; it's high entertainment!

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by LopenUupunut
    There are some excellent commentators, such as Peter Matthews. And some lousy ones, Brendan Foster, is the first name that comes to mind.

And in the US, well take your pick. It has pretty much been all over the place. In the glory days of track tv, I really don't remember paying attention to the commentary much, with the exception of Erich Segal, and his buffoonery: 'They are running between 60 and 70 seconds a lap' when talking about the Munich 10,000. The visuals are more than enough.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlow
    A bad one (Ms. L) is like fingernails on a chalkboard and makes you grit your teeth for the duration. A good one (those Brits on the Universal feel) can enhance your enjoyment by getting excited and provided interesting background and pertinent split/series info. gh on the mike at the OT was a perfect example, esp. in the field events. He made the mDT and wJT (and the rest) very exciting. Once the crowd is into it (because they understand what's developing) it's more than just a track meet; it's high entertainment!
    Well, yes. The mute button was always close at hand when CL was on board.

And I am talking about tv commentators. At a meet a good announcer can add immensely to the experience.

7. Collapse Details
    Administrator
    The gold standard from a U.S. point of view was Dick Bank (who while in the booth only in a consulting position, grabbed the mike from Bud Palmer in Tokyo in '64 when the latter froze up and wasn't IDing Mills: that was Dick screaming). He went on to honcho CBS's track series which ran in the summers of '69 and '70 as I recall.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by gh
    He went on to honcho CBS's track series which ran in the summers of '69 and '70 as I recall.
    Which, by the way, were AWESOME. The theme-song was Jefferson Airplane's She Has Funny Cars.

9. Collapse Details
    Administrator
    three-fifths of a mile in 10 seconds.

10. Collapse Details
    Franco Bragagna (Italian RAI) gets highest rank from me. Great knowledge of the sport, excitement, correct pronunciation of the names, everything.

When I think of 2007 season my association is a Russian pair Olga Bogoslovska and Sergey Tikhonov(I think that's his last name cause Planeta Sport TV doesn't exist anymore on satellite for several years now and they broadcasted so many small meets)- Boring pair but interesting how more interesting and loud they were when they were actually at the stadium at Russian meetings. Contrarily, he used to let the race going on without saying too much and conclude with low-voice "very good" for a great result.

I can't really judge on Australian Bruce McAvaney (that should be his name) cause only watched hours of videos from the 90's but I pretty much enjoyed! (it's been a year since that Youtube channel with precious videos is deleted )