Facts, Not Fiction

Page 22 of 29 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Canít someone get Nike to stop having a half dozen (or more) athletes all wear identical uniform (green & blue) in each middle distance. Keep the swoosh but vary the colors (maybe by country).
    Especially at the Pre meet wear it has the most influence. Make it easier for the audience to identify the identity of each of its Nike athletes.

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Halfmiler2 View Post
    Canít someone get Nike to stop having a half dozen (or more) athletes all wear identical uniform (green & blue) in each middle distance. Keep the swoosh but vary the colors (maybe by country).
    Especially at the Pre meet wear it has the most influence. Make it easier for the audience to identify the identity of each of its Nike athletes.
    Having done some spotting before for Public Address and television I have sympathized with this sentiment in the past. But with major meets now having all athletes with their name in large letters on the bib and runners with lane numbers on each leg, I think the problem of identical uniforms has lessened.

I doubt anyone found it annoying that BYU had five guys in the NCAA 10,000, all wearing the same uniform. (Of course, they were pretty spread out and not bunched up).

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Powell View Post
    But how is it good for business if the commentators don't react to what's actually going on during the competition?
    The network executives firmly believe that people are interested in the "star" athletes. And, no track geeks are not "people" in their opinion.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by TN1965 View Post
    The network executives firmly believe that people are interested in the "star" athletes. And, no track geeks are not "people" in their opinion.
    But their truncated telecasts are not designed to make anyone a fan.

5. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by KDFINE View Post
    they may not please the existing hardcore, but I have little/no doubt that a nice tight 2-hour package creates more fans from among the great unwashed than would a 3-4 hour dragathon.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by KDFINE View Post
    Network executives: "That's why we need to focus on even fewer athletes to keep our viewers interested."

7. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    they may not please the existing hardcore, but I have little/no doubt that a nice tiught 2-hour package creates more fans from among the great unwashed than would a 3-4 hour dragathon.
    Yes indeed.....even if you like track those seemingly endless meets are not fun....

8. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Halfmiler2 View Post
    That's been a huge problem for ages, especially since most of the men distance runners, including the American ones, come from East Africa.....can you imagine if at a PGA tour event all of the Nike golfers wore the same outfit......

But I doubt Nike will ever change.....track is basically Nike's charity program....you'll take what we give you...you peons....

9. Collapse Details

Would someone please chloroform Craig Masback before the next DL meet? Droning on about the rabbits and other furries that Laura Muir had as childhood pets as a very good 1500 was actually under way and getting pretty wound up.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary View Post
    Yes indeed.....even if you like track those seemingly endless meets are not fun....
    Speak for yourself. I start watching the DT or HJ feed when it starts, which is sometimes an hour or more before the 2-hour TV window. I loved being at the Paris DL in 2015 and getting to watch every throw of the W DT, more than an hour before the TV window.

Also, keep in mind that next year they are going to cut the TV part to 90 minutes, aren't they? The 5000 is one victim of that decision. How many other events will get cut?

BTW, I sent an e-mail to support@nbcsportsgold.com on June 16, asking them to at least use split-screen to continue showing the distance races when they are going to show a field-event attempt. Guess what?? On the NBC telecast they did just that; of course, they still broke for commercials. I'm not necessarily taking credit for that but...

During the Bowerman Mile, gh gave splits, calling them 440 yards, 880 yards, 1320 yards; my question is: at what points were those splits taken? The Flash Results splits were all taken at the finish line, so the splits were 409 meters, 809 meters, etc. In order to get yard splits, you have to take times at points 2.34 meters past the start line, 4.68 meters past the start line, etc. Was somebody actually doing that?

I have a program that I downloaded to my iPad that does splits for all sorts of distances (not the one I wrote); for the mile and 2 mile, you take the first split at the finish line after a full lap, and the program calculates the projected time as (<split> * 1609/409). It's a good solution to the problem of running "The English Mile" on metric tracks.

Cheptegei's 8:07.54 is worth about 7:31.5 for 3000, and 3:50.49 is good for about 3:33.5. The 2 Mile compares favorably with Barega's 7:32.17 from Oslo, while the Mile would slot in at #6 performance of the season.

WTF has happened to Elijah Manangoi? After winning at Doha in 3:32.21, he ran 3:48.xx for 10th in Stockholm and finished 12th yesterday. Also, Kejelcha.
    Cheers,
    Alan Shank
    Woodland, CA, USA