Facts, Not Fiction

Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst ... 21293031
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by tandfman View Post
    I suspect that the announcers you're talking about are locals who do stadium announcing at local HS and/or college meets. I would not cut the same slack for someone doing an international tv feed distributed by major outlets.
    Yeah. I agree, when you get a gig on national/international television, you should know your stuff. It is not as though they were handed the mike at the last minute.

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf View Post
    Yeah. I agree, when you get a gig on national/international television, you should know your stuff. It is not as though they were handed the mike at the last minute.
    Maybe he did not have that much time; possibly someone else was schedule (the standard DL duo?) and then could not or decided not to. I do not know, but it is possible that he had little preparation time or resources.

3. Collapse Details

Maybe this deserves its own thread but Max Kellerman (see Home Page), ESPN, was egotistically and very ignorantly claiming the track and field is not a sport because it only involves fast-twitch muscles (try running a marathon bozo, or even an 800), and requires no skill (try the 110h/100h and the pole vault). And of course that means to strength (SP, DT, HT, JT, ...). Finally, the top decathlete is widely recognized as the world's best athlete.

So, I am dropping ESPN.

4. Collapse Details

Yep, one of the more ignorant comments in broadcasting history.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary View Post
    Does the bad guy have a name?

His name is Errol Creary. Sports commentator and enthusiast...

https://twitter.com/errolcreary?lang=en

6. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Thanks....but is this a joke....this was the commentator?

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by tandfman View Post
    I suspect that the announcers you're talking about are locals who do stadium announcing at local HS and/or college meets. I would not cut the same slack for someone doing an international tv feed distributed by major outlets.
    The sport desperately needs more good stadium announcers. I used to do it at the college level and did a National Junior Olympic Meet one year.

A good stadium announcer can make a huge difference for the spectators - some of which have only a passing knowledge of the sport. Having been an announcer and a meet director myself, I also know that many harried meet directors at the grassroots level are so concerned about other things, the announcing unfortunately becomes an afterthought.

One of the best sessions I ever attended at a USATF Annual Meeting was when Bob Hersh did a mini-workshop on stadium announcing. Scott Davis also attended and added some good insights as well. I forget the year, but maybe Bob remembers. It drew a very good crowd that was listening to every word.

On the other hand, there are times when watching a meet on television that I prefer live steaming with just the stadium feed.
    Last edited by Halfmiler2; 09-06-2019 at 01:54 AM.

8. Collapse Details

He did it for ratings.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by TN1965 View Post
    His name is Errol Creary. Sports commentator and enthusiast...

https://twitter.com/errolcreary?lang=en
    Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary View Post
    Thanks....but is this a joke....this was the commentator?
    While apparently TN1965 got that name from an on-screen graphic seen on a DVR recording from Olympic Channel, the name spoken on the audio of the NBC SportsGold introduction really does not sound like the same name.

The connection to that twitter feed is not clear at all. However, online searches of the name connect it to some football and tennis commentary, which admittedly might explain why some feel the Berlin commentary was obviously by someone who knows very little about athletics.

10. Collapse Details

I know TONS about our sport, having followed it closely for 50 years, still participate in it and have coached for over 25 years, but I would not presume to be a good announcer. It's not just the 'facts', it's the way it's presented. Not to puff up our Moderator, but his calls at the OTs in Eugene have been superb.