Facts, Not Fiction

Page 17 of 31 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Thank you for the link, champ! A great piece.

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gm View Post
    Peter Matthews is the most knowledgeable and insightful commentator currently working broadcasts. If you're bored by efficiency and information, I don't know what to tell you.
    I'm not bored, I'm just afraid many casual viewers are. He is knowledgeable but significantly more with British athletes than with the rest though he does international broadcasts for international viewers. He lacks some enthusiasm. Nothing personal, just he's not my cup of tea.

I prefer Tim Hutchings, Steve Cram and one more guy who's doing DL this year.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Pakilo View Post

I prefer Tim Hutchings, Steve Cram and one more guy who's doing DL this year.
    Chris Dennis is his name.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Pakilo View Post
    He is knowledgeable but significantly more with British athletes than with the rest though he does international broadcasts for international viewers.
    Peter Matthews has been the main editor of the ATFS Annual for ages (30+ years IIRC) and is the author of numerous books on the history and statistics of world T&F. He's just about the last person in the world you can accuse of not having enough knowledge of international T&F.

Having said that, I never actually heard him commentate, so maybe he focuses too much on British athletes during the broadcasts.
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

5. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Powell View Post
    Peter Matthews has been the main editor of the ATFS Annual for ages (30+ years IIRC) and is the author of numerous books on the history and statistics of world T&F. He's just about the last person in the world you can accuse of not having enough knowledge of international T&F.

Having said that, I never actually heard him commentate, so maybe he focuses too much on British athletes during the broadcasts.
    Indeed the guy is a walking encyclopedia on track...including writing a Guinness book on Athletics.... ran into him at Sportspages in London and we talked awhile and invited me to a NUTS meeting that night...wonderful time I must say....

Also as I have mentioned before his favorite sport is cricket...

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by wamego relays champ View Post
    I believe his best-known Post-Track & Field passion is for producing jazz recordings.
    https://www.discogs.com/artist/4212684-Dick-Bank
    That's the same Dick Bank? His call of the Billy Mills race is one of my earliest T&F memories (I was 5). I still remember the screaming excitement on TV, and my dad suddenly jumping off the couch and whooping, then picking me up and dancing around the room with me. Watching the video of that finish still makes me tear up. 30 years later when I lived in San Francisco and was involved in promoting jazz clubs and artists I knew a Dick Bank who often came up from LA for shows, was extremely knowledgeable, and was involved in recording big time west coast players like Herb Geller, Bill Perkins and Bud Shank. I never connected the two into one until just this moment.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by thedoorknobbroke View Post
    Congratulations! I think you are the only one on this site who ever liked Carol Lewis. Thank God she will never return to network commentary (I hope!)
    There are times that I liked her more and other times less, but I also thought that she was generally better than others accorded her in remarks on the board.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by thedoorknobbroke View Post
    Congratulations! I think you are the only one on this site who ever liked Carol Lewis. Thank God she will never return to network commentary (I hope!)
    I fear that Sanya Richards-Ross is the new Carol Lewis.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary View Post
    How about Bud Palmer and Dick Bank....Mutiny in the Broadcast booth...

Btw...swimming is hard to comment on...they spend half the time under water...come up for a few strokes and repeat...
    I knew Dick Bank from being a T & F fan as a kid and teen.

When I became a horse racing writer and got to know him really well, I became aware of the difference between a writer and a statistician, and the difference between a publicist and a beat writer.

He was a statistician of the highest order, a decent publicist and no kind of writer at all.

But a fun guy!

10. Collapse Details

European Games in Minsk in progress. Poor Olympic Channel Commentators. They really think D.Chondrokoukis' PB was 2.11 and they were shocked when he cleared few centimeters more. How much are these guys paid?!
    Last edited by Pakilo; 06-23-2019 at 11:05 AM.