Facts, Not Fiction

 
Page 11 of 38 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 380
  1. Collapse Details
    Re: Yet another Darwin Award candidate
    I'd bet that if they could jump out of that enclosure, they would have done it long ago.
    Reply With Quote
     

  2. Collapse Details
    Re: Yet another Darwin Award candidate
    It was the life he chose.

    A Kentucky pastor who starred in a reality show about snake-handling in church has died -- of a snakebite.

    Jamie Coots died Saturday evening after refusing to be treated, Middlesboro police said.

    On "Snake Salvation," the ardent Pentecostal believer said that he believed that a passage in the Bible suggests poisonous snakebites will not harm believers as long as they are anointed by God. The practice is illegal in most states, but still goes on, primarily in the rural South.

    Coots was a third-generation "serpent handler" and aspired to one day pass the practice and his church, Full Gospel Tabernacle in Jesus Name, on to his adult son, Little Cody
    http://www.cnn.com/2014/02/16/us/snake- ... stor-bite/
    Reply With Quote
     

  3. Collapse Details
    Re: Yet another Darwin Award candidate
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Indian Territory
    Posts
    13,816
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzcyclist
    On "Snake Salvation," the ardent Pentecostal believer said that he believed that a passage in the Bible suggests poisonous snakebites will not harm believers as long as they are anointed by God. /
    Apparently, the snake did not read that passage.
    Reply With Quote
     

  4. Collapse Details
    Re: Yet another Darwin Award candidate
    Spanish man gets electrocuted after climbing onto train roof to take selfie

    "A Spanish man was electrocuted after climbing onto the roof of a train to take a selfie.

    The 21-year-old died in Andujar, Andalusia, at 12 noon Saturday after clambering on top of a haulage locomotive with a pal.

    The duo thought the train, parked in a siding at the town's station, was not electrified. But its cables were in fact still connected and conducting a current."

    http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/s ... -1.1723995
    Reply With Quote
     

  5. Collapse Details
    Re: Yet another Darwin Award candidate
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Posts
    3,917
    Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzcyclist
    On "Snake Salvation," the ardent Pentecostal believer said that he believed that a passage in the Bible suggests poisonous snakebites will not harm believers as long as they are anointed by God. /
    Apparently, the snake did not read that passage.
    Snake handlers are not uncommon in the rural mountains of North Carolina, Virginia and West Virginia. Not well known is that North Carolina has more poisonous snake bites than any state in the US. We get them in the ER a lot.
    Reply With Quote
     

  6. Collapse Details
    Re: Yet another Darwin Award candidate
    Quote Originally Posted by bambam
    Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzcyclist
    On "Snake Salvation," the ardent Pentecostal believer said that he believed that a passage in the Bible suggests poisonous snakebites will not harm believers as long as they are anointed by God. /
    Apparently, the snake did not read that passage.
    Snake handlers are not uncommon in the rural mountains of North Carolina, Virginia and West Virginia. Not well known is that North Carolina has more poisonous snake bites than any state in the US. We get them in the ER a lot.
    Why is that out of curiosity? I can walk outside my home from about this time of year through at least October and have the expectation of running into a pygmy rattler or water moccasin with some regularity and Eastern Diamondback or Copperhead on occasion. This is without leaving the sidewalk. There doesn't seem to be much of a problem just north of tampa with snakebites.
    Reply With Quote
     

  7. Collapse Details
    Re: Yet another Darwin Award candidate
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutra5
    Quote Originally Posted by bambam
    Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzcyclist
    On "Snake Salvation," the ardent Pentecostal believer said that he believed that a passage in the Bible suggests poisonous snakebites will not harm believers as long as they are anointed by God. /
    Apparently, the snake did not read that passage.
    Snake handlers are not uncommon in the rural mountains of North Carolina, Virginia and West Virginia. Not well known is that North Carolina has more poisonous snake bites than any state in the US. We get them in the ER a lot.
    Why is that out of curiosity? I can walk outside my home from about this time of year through at least October and have the expectation of running into a pygmy rattler or water moccasin with some regularity and Eastern Diamondback or Copperhead on occasion. This is without leaving the sidewalk. There doesn't seem to be much of a problem just north of tampa with snakebites.
    Bambam can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it probably has something to do with the number of Copperheads in NC, as well as the terrain and wooded areas that can make the snakes more easily camouflaged so people don't see them until it's too late. Copperheads also seem to bite sooner with less warning and with less provocation than other US venomous snakes, and account for more venonous snakebites in the US than any other snake. Some people may also not realize that the snake is venomous when they see it, unlike a rattlesnake where the rattle on the tail is usually a dead giveaway..

    (Here in Arizona the rattlesnakes usually aren't hard to spot, and due to the terrain there may be more ways for the snake to escape before biting as compared overall to Copperheads in North Carolina. In many cases but definitely not all, the rattle can allow for some advanced warning too. I've come across more than a few rattlesnakes, and if I approached the snakes to take photos (no closer than about 6 to 7 feet which is about twice the distance that even the largest rattlers can strike, No Darwin Awards for me), the snake would often coil in a threatening manner with it's head ready to strike and sometimes rattle loudly too, and then just slither off as soon as I backed away.)
    Reply With Quote
     

  8. Collapse Details
    Re: Yet another Darwin Award candidate
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Woodland Park, CO
    Posts
    7,651
    Quote Originally Posted by Blues
    Copperheads also seem to bite sooner with less warning and with less provocation than other US venomous snakes...
    Apparently true:
    http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/gaston/Pests/re ... erhead.htm
    Reply With Quote
     

  9. Collapse Details
     
    Shooting instructor gets killed trying to teach a nine-year-old girl how to use an UZI after she loses control of the of the automatic weapon and shoots him in the head.

    http://www.reviewjournal.com/news/ne...ally-shot-girl
    Reply With Quote
     

  10. Collapse Details
     
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    on task
    Posts
    12,068
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzcyclist View Post
    Shooting instructor gets killed trying to teach a nine-year-old girl how to use an UZI after she loses control of the of the automatic weapon and shoots him in the head.
    I . . . HATE . . . GUNS . . .
    This tragedy falls squarely on the head of the adult who allowed this 9-year-old to now carry this very heavy burden for the rest of her life . . .
    Reply With Quote
     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •