Facts, Not Fiction

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Tarmoh being candid
    "I'm always going to remember my first Olympics as the year when my 100-meter spot was taken away from me.''

She spoke those words while sitting in a Birmingham hotel lobby, crying those honest tears and reliving the events of late June with SI.com in her first extended interview on the subject since the dead-heat controversy overwhelmed the Olympic Trials. It has been an agonizing month for Tarmoh, one in which she not only lost an individual Olympic berth that she thought was hers, but was subsequently derided as a quitter -- for withdrawing from the runoff -- on message boards, a cruel and incongruous label for a woman who at the age of 6 escaped from civil war in Sierra Leone while crouched in the back seat of a truck with her younger sister and at one point lived in California in a two-bedroom apartment with 11 family members.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/o ... z21f3VtoZV

It's a pretty long article but very telling.... She has clearly (and understandably) been affected by all this.... Never thought she was a quitter, because heaven knows I might have done the same thing if in the same position.

2. Collapse Details
    Re: Tarmoh being candid
    It makes for compelling reading. It makes one sad for Tarmoh. But she is clearly still deeply affected. And so it raises the question that is Drummonds alone to ask and to answer. Is her head space going to be OK on the day? Tarmoh has earned her spot. Tarmoh is one of the 4 fastest. But will she be up to it on the day? For Drummond - a big call.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by t_monk
    "I'm always going to remember my first Olympics as the year when my 100-meter spot was taken away from me.''
    It was not 'taken away'; it was erroneously given. It's like the bank balance that suddenly says you have $100000 in checking, instead of the $1000.00 you really have. The next day it's gone, of course.

4. Collapse Details
    "I thought it was fishy,'' she said. "And I think it still stinks. But I can't put my finger on what it is. I don't think it should have been a dead heat. You can see from the photo.''

Does she really feel she won after looking at that photo that has been blasted all over the world and seen as a dead heat?

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by TrakFan
    Does she really feel she won after looking at that photo that has been blasted all over the world and seen as a dead heat?
    In actual fact, the photo shows that she probably DID win, but because the part of her torso that almost certainly was ahead of Felix is obscured by her twisting body, USATF was compelled to call it a tie, because you can not 'extrapolate' body parts; you can only call what you can see.

6. Collapse Details
    "I thought it was fishy,'' she said. "And I think it still stinks. But I can't put my finger on what it is. I don't think it should have been a dead heat. You can see from the photo.''

One sees what one wants to see.
    A bit like all those who believe they see pots and pots of sponsor money available to give to TnF athletes

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlow
    In actual fact, the photo shows that she probably DID win, but because the part of her torso that almost certainly was ahead of Felix is obscured by her twisting body, USATF was compelled to call it a tie, because you can not 'extrapolate' body parts; you can only call what you can see.
    Is this the obscured nipple that we can't see but that you can extrapolate on. Because I can't see any basis for justifying your extrapolation theory

8. Collapse Details
    but because the part of her torso that almost certainly was ahead of Felix is obscured by her twisting body
    And from the other camera, obscured by felix's head. Time for overhead cameras at the trials? Or just define a tie break, even if it's just a coin toss? In retrospect, it's incredible they don't have a rule for a 3rd/4th tie breaker in place at the trials.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuariki
    Because I can't see any basis for justifying your extrapolation theory
    Her shoulder/arm boundary is obscured, which itself is a subjective line even without extrapolation.
    Knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance

9. Collapse Details
    It is definitely NOT my theory. Those are the words of Mr. Jennings, the official photo-reader. He said he gave Tarmoh the initial nod on the certainty that the obscured part of her torso MUST exist and be ahead of Felix, whom he could see unobstructedly.

10. Collapse Details
    It is definitely NOT my theory. Those are the words of Mr. Jennings, the official photo-reader. He said he gave Tarmoh the initial nod on the certainty that the obscured part of her torso MUST exist and be ahead of Felix, whom he could see unobstructedly.
    Then, IMO, if Jennings had no doubts on his call, he had no right to call a protest on himself. At the end of the day one can only assume he did have some doubt. IMO opinion the doubt was justified.