Facts, Not Fiction

Page 34 of 97 FirstFirst ... 2432333435364484 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Re: Take notice of Schippers-42.40s relay NR
    Quote Originally Posted by norunner
    Has Schippers mentioned anything regarding her plans for ZŁrich?
    She's going to face a dilemma. 100 is on days 1-2, 200 and heptathlon on days 3-4 and the relay on days 5-6. So she could possibly do either 100/200/4x100 or 100/hep/4x100, but not both 200 and heptathlon.
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

2. Collapse Details
    The 4x1 is a nobrainer, with that 42.40 they became one of the favourites, so she has to run that. I still don't understand how they did it though, they have two very fast and two rather slow women and you don't get a 42.4 out of that. Looking at individual times both UK and Germany should be much faster, but no british team ever ran a 42.40 and the last time a german team ran that fast was in 2001.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by norunner
    The 4x1 is a nobrainer, with that 42.40 they became one of the favourites, so she has to run that. I still don't understand how they did it though, they have two very fast and two rather slow women and you don't get a 42.4 out of that. Looking at individual times both UK and Germany should be much faster, but no british team ever ran a 42.40 and the last time a german team ran that fast was in 2001.
    Samuel and Schippers ran fantastic legs though; Schippers 2nd leg was awesome and the 120m or whatever it is on leg 2 could be her perfect distance.

Lausanne was the second fastest performance Germany have had with Sailer in the team (fastest was London's 42.51 in 2012). On paper, in the 2009 and 2012 seasons the 4 German women in each team had SB sum totals far greater than the 2001 team, but that is only half the story. Paschke & Rockmeier on legs 1&2 in Edmonton were awesome (11.5 & 10.3) whereas all recent German teams have been generally poor on the first two legs, and leg 1 in particular. Weit was atrocious on that first leg in Lausanne, and though Haase did ok she was destroyed by Schippers. A fantastic bend by Pinto and great exchange to Sailer saved the day. I would like to see the German team replace Weit with Elsler on leg 1 for Zurich, but I am not sure how much relay practice she has done. Weit is performing at 11.5 individual level; not good enough. Kwadwo was similarly atrocious on the first leg at the European Team Championships.

Iíd selfishly like to see Schippers tackle the heptathlon in Zurich as weíre already missing KJT so itís getting more and more watered down. Also, Samuel, Soumare and Sailer could all beat her in the 100m. Perhaps a 200/4x1 is a good option, but I doubt she will do just those two events, Itíll probably be the 100/200/4x1 or the heptathlon.

4. Collapse Details
    this year they are capable of running faster than 42.40s,maybe under 42s if they had the technique in oly where they ran 42.45s.Everybody in the team ran faster than 2012.As for the most surprising must belong to SUI which only has a 11.3s runner, two heptathletes named sprunger sisters,still running 42.95s.

5. Collapse Details
    in 100m,schippers did not perform in good conditions,except first competion, she ran 100m all in headwind,including11.16 in huge headwind without strong competitors.The lastest time she ran 11.28 in slight headwind with 0.303 reaction time,still beating Samuel,0.05s behind Sailer.Centainly,personally I hope she sticks to join in heptathlon.

6. Collapse Details
    Re: Take notice of Schippers-will join in 200m in Glasgow DL
    In Glasgow DL,schippers will run 200m along with AF,SFP,Okgabare,Bowie,Strachan,Gadner and Jodie Williams.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by nianchengyu
    this year they are capable of running faster than 42.40s,maybe under 42s if they had the technique in oly where they ran 42.45s.Everybody in the team ran faster than 2012.As for the most surprising must belong to SUI which only has a 11.3s runner, two heptathletes named sprunger sisters,still running 42.95s.
    What I always heard was with good handovers you could run 3 seconds faster than the sum of individual times of team members. That would mean you only need an average speed of 11.35 to run 42.40, or 11.49 to run 42.95. A lot of it boils down to how much baton practice the team is able to put in; a well-drilled team of pretty average runners can do pretty well in the 4x1 (enough to make global finals at least).

Actually, for both current Polish NRs, the differential was even greater than 3 seconds; the women's team from 2010 ran 42.68 with individual SBs totalling 45.81, the men's squad that ran 38.31 in 2012 had a sum of individual times of 41.44.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by nianchengyu
    You're mostly right. The Dutch team in 2012 had a combined sb's of 45.95, therefore a 3.50s gain in baton exchange. This year the numbers are 45.37 and 2.97s.
    So sub 42 would not be impossible. I don't think any team has ever finished outside the top-3 running 41s, so it will actually give Schippers her best chance at an olympic medal, better than the sprints or the heptathlon.

Team composition is different though then in 2012, though Ghafoor/van Schagen run similar times as Vassell/Lubbers did.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by MDelano
    You're mostly right. The Dutch team in 2012 had a combined sb's of 45.95, therefore a 3.50s gain in baton exchange. This year the numbers are 45.37 and 2.97s.
    3.50 is an unusually high differential, I don't think any team can achieve that consistently. And for Schippers at least, her SB in 2012 wasn't representative of her true ability; she only competed in it twice that year, relatively early in the season and without much serious opposition.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by MDelano View Post
    So sub 42 would not be impossible. I don't think any team has ever finished outside the top-3 running 41s, so it will actually give Schippers her best chance at an olympic medal, better than the sprints or the heptathlon.

Team composition is different though then in 2012, though Ghafoor/van Schagen run similar times as Vassell/Lubbers did.
    She really has a chance at a European Championships Gold this year with the relay team. They seem very strong.