Facts, Not Fiction

Page 1 of 97 1231151 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Take notice of Schippers-will join in 200m in Glasgow DL
    This indoor season she will participate in WIC in 60m flat,achieving a 7.19s PB at national champships.It is originally take part in long jump as well ,however,a tendon problem she suffered in the high jump in national pentathlon champships, which is a event she only jump 1.66m,below her opening result in jan 7th where she jumped 1.70m and established a 8.18s in 60mH .what is more,she only tried the front three disciplines ,with 8.26s 60mH ,1.66m HJ and 13.91m indoor SP personnal best.aUROPEAN

2. Collapse Details
    Re: dafne schippers definitely said she is a heptathlete.
    I really hope Dafne can improve her HJ and JT in particular as it's these events holding her back at the moment. She's obviously running fantastically well and her hurdles have come on brilliantly. Now she's getting nearer 14m in the SP she's at a good level there.

To think she's not even 20 yet. Rio could really be her Games.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriella
    I really hope Dafne can improve her HJ and JT in particular as it's these events holding her back at the moment. She's obviously running fantastically well and her hurdles have come on brilliantly. Now she's getting nearer 14m in the SP she's at a good level there.

Yeah,how fantantic her speed is ,last year she only participated in 200m at WC except in two heptathlons.but almost unbelievablely,flying a 22.69s for a 19-year-old hep girl to break NED record for 30 years and beat Felix in heat, a time even 0.01s quicker than Marita Koch at the same age. She also run 11.19s in Mannheim heat and a 11.16s /+2.1m in final.
    Some important points many thought she should switch to sprint totally as follows in my own explaination :
    1.She almost make into the 200m final in Deagu for a ninth place despite running 22.92s , the worst time of 2011,and the more challengeable oppents than in heat and hep.Also felt frustrating for herself.
    2.Despite stands 1.79m ,a quite ideal height for hep,her high jump best of 1.74m still at 16 in 2009 indoor season.More worse,she jumped lower and lower since 2009,even stands the last one in European junior Championships for 1.63m height which she also showed in 2010 WJC in Canada.
    3. HJ seems to bring her into injury for her knee is even hard to hold in HJ and LJ in the same day,that is why she did not finish all the disciplines in Pentahlon .
    4.JT need huge improvement for a only 41.80m best for her,smooth improvement over the past years.
    5.To put these difficulties together ,it is much harder than doing sprint specially,which has smaller risks and larger room to rise up.

4. Collapse Details
    I often wonder why some of the multi events that have problems with the Fosbury don't just switch to the straddle. It seems coaches think it has to be the Fosbury regardless, but you can get fantastic heights with the straddle and it's far easier to learn. You also come into the bar at a completely different side than if you were doing the Fos and the mecahnics are different, so it would be interesting to see if she had the same knee problems with that technique as well.

5. Collapse Details

Actually,I have simiiar expectations with you to see her run in hep,last year she has passed 14m line ,throwing 14,19m for 19-year-old,so she really can do it well.
    let us notice about her and support her no matter her choice in the future .

6. Collapse Details
    Here are her pb in hep disciplines compare to her two heps in 2011:
    100mH:13.27S/13.60S/13.27S
    HJ:1.74mi/1.70m/1.63m
    SP:14.19M/13.89M/13.47M
    200M:22.69S/22.90s/22.91s
    LJ;6.47M/6.13M/6.47M
    JV:41.80M/38.20M/39.76M
    800M:2.15.74s/2.15.74s/2.22.40s
    total:6486p/6172p/6153p

7. Collapse Details
    I see it another way...yes, Schippers is a fantastic athlete, but I see her as a sprinter, not a heptathlete (I also see Curtis Beach as a 800m/400h and not a decathlete - at all.). Is she more likely to medal in the hep before a sprint event? Sure, but the hep isn't that deep to me; once you put real athletes in the event, they tend to rise quickly and dominate...on the first day in the case of the dec. :lol:

A not yet 20 year old with PB's of 11.19, 22.69, 13.27 is NOT a heptathlete (Ashton Eaton could be anything; he's scary!), she's a sprinter! We don't think of Sally Pearson as a heptathlete, and Schippers PB's for age are better than Michelle Perry - who is NO LONGER a heptathlete, but won worlds 1 year after finishing top 8 in the hep at the Olympics and backed it up by winning in Osaka. Ginnie Crawford is more hep than Schippers!!! And, because these athletes do so well relative to their multi competition they score well and start believing they're multieventers when some, not all, are probably sprinters.

Europe keeps wondering why they are so underrepresented in the sprints compared to NACAC and one reason COULD be that Schippers, Ennis and a few others should probably be running the 100, 200, 400, 100h and 400h but instead they push them towards field events.

8. Collapse Details
    11.19/22.69 is undoubtedly great for a 19 yr old, but can she ever get to the 10.8/sub 22 she'd need to win gold in the sprints? 11.0/22.3 could get her medals, but many women can achieve those times. She certainly has the potential to score the 6500+ needed for heptathlon medals, of which there are far fewer women capable of.

9. Collapse Details
    11.19/22.69 is undoubtedly great for a 19 yr old, but can she ever get to the 10.8/sub 22 she'd need to win gold in the sprints? 11.0/22.3 could get her medals, but many women can achieve those times. She certainly has the potential to score the 6500+ needed for heptathlon medals, of which there are far fewer women capable of.
    "Sprinter" doesn't necessarily mean that she has to run the 100 or the 200. I think she could be a great 100h (with practice, of course) and she has the speed to be a sub-50 400m runner - maybe faster (Outside of GBR, RUS and UKR, there are not a lot of those and it's good for a medal), and she's probably faster than nearly ALL w400h'ers right now. She could be the next WR at 400h, maybe not, but her chance at medalling right now in the hept has just as much hope and wish as the sprints, imo.

Back to the 100m. I've excluded Shelly Ann Fraser-Price and Carmelita Jeter because they are probably outliers, but at 19/20 y/o Lalova was 11.14, Debbie Furguson-McKenzie was 11.19, Inger Miller was 11.16, Muna Lee was 11.17, Kerron Stewart was 11.34, KellyAnn Baptiste was 11.17, Lauryn Williams was 11.12, Christine Arron was 11.51 and Chandra Sturrup was 11.54! Schippers is right there. She's not going to medal in London in the hep, but 4 years from now, she could; also, 4 years from now she could be sub-10.90 and that would certainly put her in/near the medals. But, if Euro coaches keep converting athletes to heptathletes then we will never know.

10. Collapse Details
    I do not quite agree with you ,yeah,there are some women can achieve like 11s/22.3st,that will depend next year which forms they will show,like Stewart and Simpson.
    And the next key point is she did this time for training for heptathlon ,not just for sprint.That will be much difficult.
    what is more ,hep has a trend to become higher level and fierce more. This winter showed the hint.ennis ,chernova,dobrynska,fountain,tyminska, Melnychenko,kurban and rocket fly women Yekaterina Bolshova , Nana Djimou, Aiga Grabuste and skujyte.for the teenagers, like Gambetta
    of Gemany,one year younger than dafne, really another huge talent,throwing well and has lots of rooms to improve.
    dafne really depends how her high jump goes ,a event with more problem even than javelin.Surely, I have more bless for her to get to the top at both hep and sprint ,maybe hurdles and long jump also.