Facts, Not Fiction

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Re: anything to sell newspapers!
    ???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Quote Originally Posted by gh
    Make no mistake about it: Phil Hersh is a first-rate writer on the sport. I only take umbrage that he (and his brethren in the "big news outlets") takes cheap shots at our sport. What's really sad is that i get the feeling it happens because if they don't take the drug road, their editors won't give them any space at all.
    I agree with all of the above.

2. Collapse Details
    this is typical yellow journalism which is very prevelant nowdays. i would not necessarily take it as a low blow against the sport, but like gh initially wrote ANYTHING TO SELL NEWSPAPERS and since no papers are selling papers anymore, they are trying to get noticed on the internet with their "blogging" or whatever we should call this drivel ! two weeks ago hersh had an article about the false start rule and how horrible it was for bolt to be kicked out of the race and how the olympics could not afford an olympics without bolt etc etc.
    to me he seems like an ignorant sports writer who could not make it writing in the so called big us sports and became the paper's olympic sports writer with an expertise in figure skating (like figure skating never had an cheating scandals ever see 2002 pairs olympic event). regardless the negative headlines and sensationalism get a lot more notice than any positive headline ever would. even on this board if i wrote "gh is a great editor' i would get 5 replies, but if wrote the opposite there would be 5 pages worth of discussion and replies. lol !!!

3. Collapse Details
    Among other things, I was rather annoyed by the idea that Blake's 200m times are the most accurate assessment of his progression as a sprinter. If you have suspicions about him, it's still disingenuous to say he's a Johnny-come-lately, as he's the youngest ever to break 10.00. And I can't imagine Hersh doesn't know this.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary
    this was post 9/11 and Hersh saying that KK is an unAmerican ingrate, was really just trying to get a reaction and show what an ass he can be at times. Muslims have been attacked for less.
    No argument from me here.
    "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
    by Thomas Henry Huxley

5. Collapse Details
    Gh thank you. I personal appreciate this thread and your opinion. May I request you write an "article" expressing this position. I know people don't get the impact this article and Layden's (SI article following Carmelitas victory at US Nationals), have on the general profile of the sport.
    They both draw suspicion to the sport as a whole, and worse, they bring back ten year old issues to anchor their pieces.

6. Collapse Details
    Track & field will perpetually attract slander from these guys until it in the least pulls its head out of the sand on PED issues that it has stupidly shelved in the do not discuss file. eg. the German Females issues of the past and those surrounding the striking evidence associated with the Flo Jos and such.

In particular the sport should start investigating the problems of the conspiracy among multi people to train athletes how to cheat instead of just punishing the symptoms of athletes being caught and leaving it at that.

To prove that I am right you will see how mentioning either of these will cfreate a hellstorm within this thread.

7. Collapse Details
    One of the leading dutch newspapers De Volkskrant published an article by Mark van Driel: With the astonishing time of Blake also the distrust returns on the track.

His final remarks:
    Can Blake be trusted? If no, can his trainingspartner, the superathlete of T&F, than be trusted? These are worrying thoughts, less than a year before London.

8. Collapse Details
    Unfortunately when Blake ran that time I think at least half of all track fans were at least a little skeptical at first, but is it totally wrong to be a little skeptical? Its not like T&F has a clean past. It seems like a good number of sprinters that have run the fastest times in the 100m have been linked to PEDs or busted.

Ben Johnson
    Carl Lewis
    Ato Boldon
    Dennis Mitchell PR of 9.91
    Davidson Ezinwa PR of 9.91 -2.3
    Maurice Greene
    Tim Montgomery
    Justin Gatlin
    Linford Christie
    Dwain Chambers
    Mike Rodgers
    Steve Mullings
    YOHAN BLAKE

I'm sure there's some names I forgot, but 31 men have run under 9.9 (legally), 11 of them have failed a test at some point in their career or were linked to PEDs or accused.

My point is, T&F has already proven that its a sport that cant be totally trusted, so why do people get so upset when someone questions an athlete who has massive improvements in PR's? I'm NOT saying Yohan is guilty, I'm just saying that 19.26 is so amazing of a time in the 200m that people are going to question it a little, if Mike Rodgers comes out and wins the Gold in London next year with a time of 9.56wr, the same questions will get raised.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Amaru523
    T&F has already proven that its a sport that cant be totally trusted
    Name one sport that can be "totally trusted."
    "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
    by Thomas Henry Huxley

10. Collapse Details
    Heaven-In front of stereo listenin to re-mastered Beatles
    Quote Originally Posted by Pego
    Quote Originally Posted by Amaru523