Facts, Not Fiction

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Re: anything to sell newspapers!
    A very poor article....

If he'd listened to Bolt's interview with the BBC, he would've seen why Blake had dropped so much off his PB. According to Bolt, Blake's execution of previous 200m races had been poor. According to Bolt, Blake does not run the curve well, so Bolt advised him to take his time around the curve, which is not his strongest suit, and to turn it on in the final 100m - which is what Blake did.

But it would never enter the head of writers like this guy that Bolt would actually have some intelligent advice to give one of his colleagues....
    :roll:
    Also, if he'd actually attended some training sessions at Track Racers, he would've seen Blake beating Bolt in training, and vice versa, of course.
    My heart is still in the Caribbean....

2. Collapse Details
    Both Hersh and Tim Layden are cut from the same cloth. They cast a shadow on every exceptional performance by talking about drugs. True, few journalists bother to even talk about track and field but when it is cast in such a negative light it does nothing for the sport. Why not hail Yohan's performance and discuss performance enhancement on another day?

3. Collapse Details
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by vip
    Well, he wrote it as a blog, which only appeared on the newspaper's website, so I guess the title of this thread is misleading. Besides, I seriously doubt a rather obscure story on track and field would sell anything, much a less a newspaper. But, carry on.
    It's an expression! Simply means "to increase the profile of." You can get about 10,000 google hits on it.

4. Collapse Details
    ???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pego
    I apologize, if this hijacks the original intent of the thread, but in the case of Khannouchi, I agree with Hersh. He was just like prominent tennis players that always got hurt just for the Davis Cup weekend, only to have a miraculous recovery on Monday. Remember Lendl?

We went over this before as noted above. However, as I said then it is one thing to have an opinion on this subject, but it is an entirely different thing to advocate, in a column the weekend of the race, at best, rude behavior and at worse, violence. After all, this was post 9/11 and Hersh saying that KK is an unAmerican ingrate, was really just trying to get a reaction and show what an ass he can be at times. Muslims have been attacked for less.

Whether one plays the Olympic game should be up to the individual. This running for the USA, while nice, doesn't always pay the bills, and in the end who really cares? Especially in the marathon where the big stars now skip it, along with the WC. Meb got a silver in the marathon and the American reaction was about .0001% of what reality tv stars get.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlow
    Funniest line is near the end:

To be fair . . .
    His premise is that you can't have a big drop in performance and be clean. News to all those pre-60s athletes who routinely had big drops. It happens. (not trying to be naive, either)
    To put the phrase a big drop in performance in perspective.

The other day I did two consecutive sprints (cycling acceleration of 125m) within 5 minutes under identical weather (headwindish) conditons. Although both performances had a rather similar character the difference still was staggering as it is more than a full second.

There was with the latter sprint though a minor violation of the equation. I started that sprint after a truck had passed me with normal speed and was 50m ahead of me. In my life experience of more than 250.000 cycling sprints I never experienced anything that would ressemble of randomness in maximal performing. JRM, quit the thesis.

Someone ought to ask Carl Lewis, why he didn't jump 30 feet, when it counted most.

6. Collapse Details
    Administrator
    Forget what Hersh said about Blake. I think it was this that set me off more than anything else:

<<There have, of course, also been doping suspicions about Bolt, who never has tested positive (for what that's worth, as Marion Jones proved.)>>

"there have been suspicions" makes it sound as if the authorities have been investigating, whenin reality it means "a bunch of sportswriters and pissed-off fans, mostly all Americans." And the unrelated linkage to Jones is particularly odious.

Can you imagine the look on the face of the paper's editor if he had written, "There have, of course, also been doping suspicions about Michael Jordan, who never has tested positive (for what that's worth, as Marion Jones proved.)"

I guess I could handle it better if there weren't such an incredible double standard. Lots of things in lots of sports raise my suspicions, but if I worked for a general news outlet I wouldn't be allowed to say a word of it unless it was their favorite whipping boy, track.

7. Collapse Details
    Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogery- chwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch, Wales
    I couldn't help but note the irony in Hersh's Felix article last month, when he noted how frustrated Felix was that the 100, 200, and 400 world records, set during "track's doping high times of the 80's"(Hersh's words), were so out of reach.
    There are no strings on me

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by gh
    Forget what Hersh said about Blake. I think it was this that set me off more than anything else:

<<There have, of course, also been doping suspicions about Bolt, who never has tested positive (for what that's worth, as Marion Jones proved.)>>

"there have been suspicions" makes it sound as if the authorities have been investigating, whenin reality it means "a bunch of sportswriters and pissed-off fans, mostly all Americans." And the unrelated linkage to Jones is particularly odious.

''''
    As a regular Chicago Tribune reader, I can tell you that Phil Hersh would be better identified as their Figure Skating writer. He seems most comfortable writing about those young ladies in skimpy outfits. With the lack of any other competition, the Tribune labels him their Olympic Sports writer. So, every once in a while, he has to say something about T&F. His understanding is pretty minimal.

Pat Palmer

9. Collapse Details
    ???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Quote Originally Posted by ppalmer
    Quote Originally Posted by gh

''''
    As a regular Chicago Tribune reader, I can tell you that Phil Hersh would be better identified as their Figure Skating writer. He seems most comfortable writing about those young ladies in skimpy outfits. With the lack of any other competition, the Tribune labels him their Olympic Sports writer. So, every once in a while, he has to say something about T&F. His understanding is pretty minimal.

Pat Palmer

I will second that. Hersh gets gooey eye with his skating columns. But to be fair not all of his track columns are crap. Some are actually good. But the Trib is basically a Bears newspaper with other sports filling out the rest.

10. Collapse Details
    Administrator
    Make no mistake about it: Phil Hersh is a first-rate writer on the sport. I only take umbrage that he (and his brethren in the "big news outlets") takes cheap shots at our sport. What's really sad is that i get the feeling it happens because if they don't take the drug road, their editors won't give them any space at all.