Facts, Not Fiction

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Bolt the greatest paradigm shifting athlete ever
    I am not claiming here that Bolt is the greatest athlete ever, greatest sprinter, or greatest 100 or 200m runner. I am saying that he has transformed our views of what constitutes a quality performance more than any other athelete has- certainly not in so short a time.
    Think about it. Only a few years ago, if someone had run a 19.40, we would have been agog with amazement. Now the main point of surprise is simply that Bolt did it after a 'poor' year- during which he went unbeaten in 6 races, with fastest times of 9.88 and 19.86. He has made it possible for people to talk seriously about times such as 9.4 and 18.9. You may or may not believe he can actually run these times, but before Bolt came along the mere suggestion would have been laughed out of court. Is there any athlete in any event, maybe even in all of sport, who has so redefined what we believe to be humanly possible?

2. Collapse Details
    Re: Bolt the greatest paradigm shifting athlete ever
    Babe Ruth?

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Deerfoot
    I am not claiming here that Bolt is the
    A. greatest athlete ever,
    B. greatest sprinter
    C. greatest 100 or 200m runner
    B & C are done deals. A is still reachable. There are currently 3 or 4 others eligible for the position, but with another sensational show in London, he could ascend to the throne. If he goes 3-for-3 on WRs in 2012, he may clinch the title.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlow
    I am not claiming here that Bolt is the
    A. greatest athlete ever,
    B. greatest sprinter
    C. greatest 100 or 200m runner
    B & C are done deals. A is still reachable. There are currently 3 or 4 others eligible for the position, but with another sensational show in London, he could ascend to the throne. If he goes 3-for-3 on WRs in 2012, he may clinch the title.
    If he wins the 200 in London he will be the greatest 200m runner ever, but greatest sprinter and 100m runner a way to debatable

5. Collapse Details
    ATK if Bolt break WR in 100 and 200 in London, i think that the debate is finished hehe

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ATK
    If he wins the 200 in London he will be the greatest 200m runner ever, but greatest sprinter and 100m runner a way to debatable
    After Beijing, before Berlin, I still clung to my belief that Bob Hayes was the GOAT, but I was at least willing to listen to Carl Lewis fanatics. After Berlin, there was no doubt left. If he triple-golds next year (which there seems little doubt he will), even with NO more WRs, anyone who still wants to debate the matter will be Baker-Acted into the Wacky Ward.

7. Collapse Details
    Think about it. Only a few years ago, if someone had run a 19.40, we would have been agog with amazement. ... He has made it possible for people to talk seriously about times such as 9.4 and 18.9. You may or may not believe he can actually run these times, but before Bolt came along the mere suggestion would have been laughed out of court. Is there any athlete in any event, maybe even in all of sport, who has so redefined what we believe to be humanly possible?
    I think a few of the paradigm shifts you attribute to Bolt rightfully "belong" to Michael Johnson. He was the first to show that the low-19s range was attainable. He was the first to open questions of sub-19 in the sprint community. That being said, Bolt has pushed the envelope further.

8. Collapse Details
    I think that the limit in Michael Johnson in 200m(without to be tired, after 400m series)was around 19.15-19.20 and i think limit in perfect race of Bolt is around 18.95-19.00

I hope can see it someday

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ZELLGADISS
    I think that the limit in Michael Johnson in 200m(without to be tired, after 400m series)was around 19.15-19.20 and i think limit in perfect race of Bolt is around 18.95-19.00
    I don't recall seeing any such numbers in the research field, but I would appreciate seeing the studies if you can provide them.

10. Collapse Details
    Bolt made in Berlin 9.92 and 9.27 with -0.3 wind.
    Bolt 100% with good start and improving a little bit could make 9.84 perhaps(i tell making all in perfection, tecnique,reaction time, line 6,and running very strong)and after in the straight, last 100 with good wind around +1.5-2 he could get around 9.15, so 18.99 perhaps, of course with ALL perfect in Bolt, perhaps he never make it, but in my opinion is his limit with his body at maximum and perfect technique...