Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
  1. Collapse Details
    Re: multi-sport trivia
    Quote Originally Posted by cullman
    "I don't know"
    That's also a clue. :P
    Third base!

Jack McCartan was BIG for a short time after the 1960 Winter Olympics (remember Jim Craig after the 1980 Games?) but played sporadically for the New York Rangers as he couldn't beat out Gump ("The Gumper") Worsley for the #1 job. Backup goalies rarely played back in the day which is probably why you haven't heard of him.

McCartan had played for the San Diego Gulls in the Western Hockey League in the 1960s and has been a scout for the Vancouver Canucks for eons.

cman

2. Collapse Details
    While perusing this thread and the thread in which the McCartan question was originally answered, I don't think I saw another name who reached championship level in two sports.

Darin Erstad was the punter for Nebraska in '94 and played for the Angels on their '02 team.

3. Collapse Details
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutra
    While perusing this thread and the thread in which the McCartan question was originally answered, I don't think I saw another name who reached championship level in two sports.

Darin Erstad was the punter for Nebraska in '94 and played for the Angels on their '02 team.
    Gene Conley: pitched for the Milwaukee Braves when they won the 1957 World Series; played on the Boston Celtics championship teams of 1959, '60, and '61.

4. Collapse Details
    Tim Stoddard played on one of NC State's super teams, then became a bona fide major league pitcher.

5. Collapse Details
    Administrator
    "I don't know"
    That's also a clue. :P
    Third base!

Jack McCartan was BIG for a short time after the 1960 Winter Olympics (remember Jim Craig after the 1980 Games?) but played sporadically for the New York Rangers as he couldn't beat out Gump ("The Gumper") Worsley for the #1 job. Backup goalies rarely played back in the day which is probably why you haven't heard of him.

McCartan had played for the San Diego Gulls in the Western Hockey League in the 1960s and has been a scout for the Vancouver Canucks for eons.

cman
    bambam has clarified for me that either I remembered the trivia wrong, or that Phil Conley gave it to me wrong. Probably the former, with Phil having said "medalist" not gold medalist. McCartan only won bronze in PAG baseball.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by dukehjsteve View Post
    Tim Stoddard played on one of NC State's super teams, then became a bona fide major league pitcher.
    One of Stoddard's teammates on the NC State team that went to the College World Series (baseball) was Steve Rerych. Rerych won 2 gold medals in swimming at the 1968 Olympics (both relays).

Rerych was a resident in cardio-thoracic surgery at Duke while I was a resident in orthopaedics. He did point out that it helped that two of his relay teammates were Mark Spitz and Don Schollander.