Facts, Not Fiction

Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Re: Boston [Mutai 2:03:01w]
    Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary
    Quote Originally Posted by az2004
    i need no stinkin rules to tell me it's a GREAT time
    Agreed. Tailwind, downhill or not, and by the way they ran the last half in about 61:10, not an easy section by any means having run that part in training about 30 or 40 times, this is the best time out there.

Besides Boston has had a few tailwind races and they never broke the WR by a minute. And by the way the women ran 3 minutes slower than London.
    Aye. Why didn't the women go 2:19, even with Kim Smith for a rabbit out there? If I'm not mistaken, she ran 1:10:51 at the halfway point. London was 1:10:37.

2. Collapse Details
    I guess the operative question would be: if they had to run INTO that wind, what would they have run? I'm guessing anything under 2:10 would have been regarded as AWESOME! So maybe a 2:06 no wind? Even a loop would have been problematic, as they would have to face that wind half the time.

3. Collapse Details
    ???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    The race was live on the Universal Sports here.

I wasn't surprised Kim Smith fell apart. She must have one of the worse running forms ever.

And what is with the Americans and this getting the crowd to raise the volume of the cheering? As Rod Dixon said in the 1983 NYC race concentration every second is a key part of the race. And watch the 1985 Chicago Marathon with Benoit and her laserlike focus hammer Christiansen. And yet Hall is completely distracted by the crowd and soon after that falls back.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlow
    I guess the operative question would be: if they had to run INTO that wind, what would they have run? I'm guessing anything under 2:10 would have been regarded as AWESOME! So maybe a 2:06 no wind? Even a loop would have been problematic, as they would have to face that wind half the time.
    Well, yes, would they have run 2:03 running from Boston to Hopkinton? Obviously no, but so what?

Still an awesome performance.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by kuha
    Are we now going to parse this 2:03:01 to come up with the "real" time to an accuracy of one second? Please, let's not. The point was that this was a highly competitive, even-better-than-your-perfect-day sort of race that is what it is, which was a one-off, exhilarating "w" performance.
    May I quote myself?

6. Collapse Details
    Big tailwind, but not as big as 'cited'. That is, the wind reading is taken at 10 meters above ground level in an area (typically an airport) free of obstructions. 18mph has been cited as the reading, which would be more like 12 at ground level and even then the direction is not a pure tailwind, so may be it averages 10+mph. Huge help, but not quite a gale.

As for the assistance, Boston is hard on the body and having a tailwind makes it even harder on the legs because of the speed. The survivors have great times, but the depth suffers in such a race; look at 20th places, 16 is 2:29:54 and 2:16:54. There is much less depth in women's races but the drop off from first was not so rapid as in the men because the women went fast but not really really hard like the men did (i.e., men 2 minutes faster than London, women 3+ minutes slower).

By the way, I think that I posted that we could see a 2:03 or 2:04 today.

7. Collapse Details
    Whenever two runners are cruising at sub 2 hours marathon pace in the realm where the man of the hammer (30-40 km) resides, every alarm bell has to go off. The runner-ups 3 and 4 did however an approx. 6 min. slower pace. Still one might wonder.

8. Collapse Details
    Are we now going to parse this 2:03:01 to come up with the "real" time to an accuracy of one second? Please, let's not. The point was that this was a highly competitive, even-better-than-your-perfect-day sort of race that is what it is, which was a one-off, exhilarating "w" performance.
    May I quote myself?
    The Möbius strip man!

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by CookyMonzta
    Quote Originally Posted by tandfman
    Not sure what you mean by "reconcile." No official World Record ever has been, or ever could be, set on this course, with our without wind.
    Not exactly true. In years past, records that were set on this course were considered for world/national/American-record purposes before the IAAF began taking interest in the marathon (record purposes fell to various road-racing organizations before the IAAF stepped in).
    Only the IAAF can ratify "official" World Records, and that's why I used that word.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary
    The Möbius strip man!

I love a good Mobius strip tease.