Facts, Not Fiction

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Collapse Details
    Re: RIP: Kodachrome, 75
    Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary
    For my own part, I still shoot a lot of transparency film mostly in 4x5, and there are a few great films out there, primarily Fuji Provia and Velvia film.
    Have you tried any of the medium format digital cameras yet? Also, have you digitized any of your 4x5's? If so, what type of scanner are you using?

2. Collapse Details
    ???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzcyclist
    Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary
    For my own part, I still shoot a lot of transparency film mostly in 4x5, and there are a few great films out there, primarily Fuji Provia and Velvia film.
    Have you tried any of the medium format digital cameras yet? Also, have you digitized any of your 4x5's? If so, what type of scanner are you using?
    No, because unlike your 50 dollar 10mp point and shoot, those digital scanning backs are extremely expensive, on the order of 20,000 or so. There are 4x5 scanning backs, but they still are over 15,000.

In the meantime I shoot film. A couple of years ago I had an architectural project of the local businesses, and for that a view camera can't be beat.

I scan at home using a Microtek M! Artixscan which works pretty well.

3. Collapse Details
    Right. To get the equivalent of what a high-quality 6x7cm or 4x5" color negative gives us, in pure electronic capture, still means a minimum $10k outlay, and typically a lot more. I see digital cameras/backs that I'd love to have, but they are over $20k, so it's pretty foolish to not just continue for the forseeable future with the "legacy" equipment I already have--several Mamiya 7s and nice 4x5s. Scanners are excellent and the info in a medium- to large-format negative or transparency is remarkable. The problem lies in getting color films processed consistently.

4. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Finally got my hands on a 4x5 Kodachrome transparency from the mid 1940s on eBay....beautiful color... they stopped making Kodachrome sheet film in 1951...

5. Collapse Details

About 10-12 years ago Mrs. tandfman took a picture of our oldest granddaughter, who asked "can I see it." Mrs. t said "No, we have to wait to develop the film". The little girl then asked "What's film?"