He once was lost but now is found,
      Was blind, but now he sees.
    My life is complete
    Sweet redemption has found me
    Nothing is so sweet
    As jazzcyclist's amnesty

2. Collapse Details
    Re: Roger Staubach Calls Today's Players Wussies
    Another example of a player being punished for violating football's new "don't-hit-too-hard" rule.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvFYj7IJn-4

3. Collapse Details

4. Collapse Details
    What's happening to the game I grew up with? I realize that the powers-that-be want to make the game safer and I agree 100% with players who have suffered a concussion being benched until they're cleared by doctors, but something's wrong when the NFL fines Golden Tate for a perfectly clean block. Keep in mind that the referees didn't call a penalty on him. Roger Goodell should just be honest and say they are outlawing hard hits, because if you put someone to sleep, he's going to fine you even if you use textbook form. Here's a link to the video:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/seattle-seaha ... n-Sean-Lee

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzcyclist
    say they are outlawing hard hits
    What do you think the penalty for "unnecessary roughness" is? There was no need for something vicious like that. All the blocker had to do was literally get in his way and the guy couldn't have made the tackle. You see that all the time in downfield blocks: guys just get in the way of would-be tacklers, so they can't catch the ball-carrier. The NFL is in its terminal stages if they can't rein in the injuries caused by head-hunters.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlow
    say they are outlawing hard hits
    What do you think the penalty for "unnecessary roughness" is? There was no need for something vicious like that. All the blocker had to do was literally get in his way and the guy couldn't have made the tackle. You see that all the time in downfield blocks: guys just get in the way of would-be tacklers, so they can't catch the ball-carrier. The NFL is in its terminal stages if they can't rein in the injuries caused by head-hunters.
    You sound like someone who never played football, because what you preaching goes against everything that's ingrained in football players from the time they're pewees. You're taught to arrive at the scene of impact as fast as you can and to deliver the hit with extreme prejudice, not calibrate your speed based on what you feel is necessary to avoid injuring your target. To do what you ask, we might as well put flags on the players and take the helmets and pads off.

Furthermore, there was no head-hunting by Tate on that play, all the impact was delivered to the chest area, straight out of the textbooks. I actually agree with eliiniating the head-hunting, but that's not what happened on this play. I have a very strong hunch that Goodell wouldn't be throwing around these silly fines if he had ever played football at any level. I hope enough players get tired of these fines to drag him back to court so that he gets his hand slapped by a judge AGAIN before he totally ruins the game.

7. Collapse Details
    what you're preaching goes against everything that's ingrained in football players from the time they're pewees.
    Interestingly, this is exactly why I have zero interest in american football.
    Knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Daisy
    what you're preaching goes against everything that's ingrained in football players from the time they're pewees.
    Interestingly, this is exactly why I have zero interest in american football.
    I don't watch the pros any more (unless I get a ticket to the Jags game) and my interest in college is due to old school ties. Any game where the idea is to hurt your opponent unnecessarily is not sport. Boxing is on its way out and MMA/UFC is one horrific death away from severe regulation (it'll happen soon).

9. Collapse Details
    You sound like someone who never played football, because what you preaching goes against everything that's ingrained in football players from the time they're pewees. You're taught to arrive at the scene of impact as fast as you can and to deliver the hit with extreme prejudice, not calibrate your speed based on what you feel is necessary to avoid injuring your target. To do what you ask, we might as well put flags on the players and take the helmets and pads off.
    My grandson's 7th grade football season is just about one third done and my observation is that they discourage "unnecessary roughness" right from the start of those football careers. They penalize even "clean" hits when delivered more harsh than necessary to tackle the ball-carrier.

As far as the helmets are concerned, I believe that the current helmet is a major contributing factors to injuries. It should be restructured (softened) to protect the head without being a deadly weapon.
    "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
    by Thomas Henry Huxley

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlow
    Boxing is on its way out and MMA/UFC is one horrific death away from severe regulation (it'll happen soon).
    Sorry to have to mention this here, but MMA is safer than pole vaulting. So with all due respect, Marlow, better be careful what you wish for. And professional MMA in the U.S. is rather heavily regulated as it is.