Facts, Not Fiction

Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1220212223 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by CookyMonzta View Post
    In other words, the NFL is afraid that what happened to Joe Theismann, via sack by Lawrence Taylor, is painfully close to happening again, especially with so many potential Hall-of-Fame QBs close to retirement. They don't want another premature episode like that again.
    Never understood the furor over the Joe Theismann injury. Seen that injury at least 100 times. Non-orthopaedists didn't seem to like looking at it, but we become inured to things like that.

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    Better to look like a wuss now, than to have major physical problems later in life. Many hobble around on gimpy knees, not to mention the specter of CTE.
    But the point of the new rules is not really focused on injury per se since it doesn't apply to any other position. The goal is to keep the stars on the field for the fans, ratings and attendance. Trevor Mattich actually had a wise comment today. "The NFL is a TV show and they want the stars of the show in every episode".

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by bambam1729 View Post
    Never understood the furor over the Joe Theismann injury. Seen that injury at least 100 times. Non-orthopaedists didn't seem to like looking at it, but we become inured to things like that.
    As a huge LT fan (as a player), I still can't watch it.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by NotDutra5 View Post
    But the point of the new rules is not really focused on injury per se since it doesn't apply to any other position. The goal is to keep the stars on the field for the fans, ratings and attendance. Trevor Mattich actually had a wise comment today. "The NFL is a TV show and they want the stars of the show in every episode".
    Time to stop watching...

5. Collapse Details

Exhibit #754 of what Staubach was talking about.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1173380349016993792

6. Collapse Details

from an IP that never sent jazz that PM, never !
    Quote Originally Posted by NotDutra5 View Post
    As a huge LT fan (as a player), I still can't watch it.
    I cant watch it either, it was absolutely horrifying. I can recall only one other play that effected me that way and it was a play (i think it was a pro bowl game) where a running back is heading for a touchdown and is tackled and completely folds his ankle back. Absolutely mortifying.

i am all for illegal hit rules. They can be made to work but some of these decisions on the field are a disaster. What they are doing to the game with some of these illegal hit calls is a disgrace to the game and a desecration of all past players and the history of the game.
    Last edited by user4; 09-17-2019 at 03:58 PM.

7. Collapse Details

Meanwhile, OKC is mourning the death of a 16 year old HS sophomore, killed Friday night in a routine, non-vicious tackle. Tackled player fell on him, victim hit head on ground, brain swelling, never regained conscience.

8. Collapse Details

from an IP that never sent jazz that PM, never !
    Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf View Post
    Meanwhile, OKC is mourning the death of a 16 year old HS sophomore, killed Friday night in a routine, non-vicious tackle. Tackled player fell on him, victim hit head on ground, brain swelling, never regained conscience.
    what kind of surface are they playing on ?

9. Collapse Details

Grass...small school 8 man.. the last OK HS football fatality was at another small school 8 man in 2014.

10. Collapse Details

how many years in a row now has football participation at the HS level decreased in the U.S?
    I know it is pretty steadily declining in California.
    Not injury related but this won't help: https://www.ocregister.com/2019/09/1...football-game/
    https://ktla.com/2019/09/16/san-clem...football-game/
    Last edited by thedoorknobbroke; 09-17-2019 at 10:01 PM.