Facts, Not Fiction

Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Roger Staubach Calls Today's Players Wussies
    http://backporch.fanhouse.com/2010/09/1 ... ussy-game/
    The statistics today are overwhelming. I saw Peyton Manning one time and he had a great comeback drive, but he had two 15-yard roughing-the-passer penalties. I'm thinking, 'I don't ever remember having one of those.' It's kind of a wussy game, really, in a way.
    Looking back at what defensive players used to be able to get away, I think he might have a point. Can you imagine what would happen to a player if he did to Peyton Manning what Turkey Jones did to Terry Bradshaw? How would today's recievers deal with Dick "Night Train" Lane? What would the commisioner do with someone like Dick Butkus?

2. Collapse Details
    Re: Roger Staubach Calls Today's Players Wussies
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzcyclist
    http://backporch.fanhouse.com/2010/09/15/roger-staubach-thinks-todays-nfl-is-kind-of-a-wussy-game/
    The statistics today are overwhelming. I saw Peyton Manning one time and he had a great comeback drive, but he had two 15-yard roughing-the-passer penalties. I'm thinking, 'I don't ever remember having one of those.' It's kind of a wussy game, really, in a way.
    Looking back at what defensive players used to be able to get away, I think he might have a point. Can you imagine what would happen to a player if he did to Peyton Manning what Turkey Jones did to Terry Bradshaw? How would today's recievers deal with Dick "Night Train" Lane? What would the commisioner do with someone like Dick Butkus?
    Navy guys are just tougher. Ask Marlow.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzcyclist
    http://backporch.fanhouse.com/2010/09/15/roger-staubach-thinks-todays-nfl-is-kind-of-a-wussy-game/
    he had two 15-yard roughing-the-passer penalties. I'm thinking, 'I don't ever remember having one of those.' It's kind of a wussy game, really, in a way.
    I think he might have a point.
    No, he doesn't, and Rog should know better. Go visit some players from 30-40 years ago - they're a mess. They have dementia from two many concussions and have worthless knees from too many crack-back blocks. The present rules TRY to safe-guard players as much as possible, which, if you read the injury reports, really isn't all that much.

4. Collapse Details
    Football is considered the most macho of all American team sports, but has the definiton of "macho" changed over the years to something Staubach's generation can't relate to? Last month, a Miami Dolphins practice had to be stopped so that a player could look for his earring that he forgot to take off before practice. Can you imagine George Halas interrupting a team practice so that a player could look for his lost earring?

5. Collapse Details
    Can you imagine George Halas allowing a player with an earring on the field?

6. Collapse Details
    ???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Before Staubach played, the rules in the NFL were that you had to be held down to be tackled. And before that in the 30's and early 40's if you were substituted you had to stay out until the end of the quarter.

But the game is so brutal know. The Fridge was a big guy 25 years ago and now would be on the average size now.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf
    Can you imagine George Halas allowing a player with an earring on the field?
    Our 'consciousness' has been raised a little since those days. I don't think Halas would change a thing on this guy.

http://www.examiner.com/images/blog/...i-cover(1).jpg

8. Collapse Details
    They might have roughing penalties but that does not stop the 300 pound gorillas going for the hit. Better to have the quarterback out and take your chances with a penalty. And how often was Staubach being hit by 300 lbs players?
    Knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance

9. Collapse Details
    The game is still way rougher than it needs to be. How many games are there even at the high school level that have nobody carried off the field? Just because it was rougher in Staubach's days does not mean it was right then. There are still ways to make it more technical and less brutal.
    "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
    by Thomas Henry Huxley

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Pego
    The game is still way rougher than it needs to be. How many games are there even at the high school level that have nobody carried off the field? Just because it was rougher in Staubach's days does not mean it was right then. There are still ways to make it more technical and less brutal.
    They call that chess. And it's boring.