Facts, Not Fiction

 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 222

Hybrid View

  1. Collapse Details
    Roger Staubach Calls Today's Players Wussies
    #1
    http://backporch.fanhouse.com/2010/09/1 ... ussy-game/
    The statistics today are overwhelming. I saw Peyton Manning one time and he had a great comeback drive, but he had two 15-yard roughing-the-passer penalties. I'm thinking, 'I don't ever remember having one of those.' It's kind of a wussy game, really, in a way.
    Looking back at what defensive players used to be able to get away, I think he might have a point. Can you imagine what would happen to a player if he did to Peyton Manning what Turkey Jones did to Terry Bradshaw? How would today's recievers deal with Dick "Night Train" Lane? What would the commisioner do with someone like Dick Butkus?
    Reply With Quote
     

  2. Collapse Details
     
    #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    beyond help
    Posts
    12,742
    I still see a lot more helmet-to-helmet and cheap shots missed than "wussification" calls.
    "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
    by Thomas Henry Huxley
    Reply With Quote
     

  3. Collapse Details
     
    #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Pego View Post
    I still see a lot more helmet-to-helmet and cheap shots missed than "wussification" calls.
    I'm okay with encouraging the referees to be even more zealous about flagging head-hunters, as long as they use instant replay to correct the mistakes.
    Reply With Quote
     

  4. Collapse Details
     
    #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    936
    The game was never meant to be played by 230 pounders with 4.4 speed that can bench over 300 pounds. Now add the....kill um...attitude.

    I played both ways in high school, if I scored a td, yep, a lot of slaps on the back, but if I knocked a receiver silly, I was mobbed. It's still like that and will always be like that. The sport is about kicking butt.

    You cannot do a whole hell of a lot, it's simply a vicious game, not unlike boxing/MMA.

    I disagree about what Staubach said, we see more deranged/violent people/footaballers than ever right now.
    Last edited by Dickson; 12-30-2014 at 07:05 AM.
    Reply With Quote
     

  5. Collapse Details
     
    #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Dickson View Post
    I disagree about what Staubach said, we see more deranged/violent people/footaballers than ever right now.
    What Staubach said isn't a matter of opinion, it's a matter of fact. Quarterbacks and receivers of his era didn't have nearly the protection that today's quarterbacks and receivers have. Dick "Night Train" Lane, George Atkinson, Chuck Bednarik and Dick Butkus would be run out of the League if they played today. And you don't have to go back that far, because Ronnie Lott would be banned too. Turkey Jones didn't even get fined for doing this to Terry Bradshaw, much less suspended.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_BuDursFIg

    Do you remember when Bednarik decapitated Frank Gifford and put him out of commission for two years?

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1EHius5Y88

    Don't get me wrong, I don't want to see the game go back to the days of clothes-lining, face-masking and head-slapping, but make no mistake, the game was more vicious in Staubach's era.
    Reply With Quote
     

  6. Collapse Details
     
    #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    936
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzcyclist View Post
    What Staubach said isn't a matter of opinion, it's a matter of fact. Quarterbacks and receivers of his era didn't have nearly the protection that today's quarterbacks and receivers have. Dick "Night Train" Lane, George Atkinson, Chuck Bednarik and Dick Butkus would be run out of the League if they played today. And you don't have to go back that far, because Ronnie Lott would be banned too. Turkey Jones didn't even get fined for doing this to Terry Bradshaw, much less suspended.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_BuDursFIg

    Do you remember when Bednarik decapitated Frank Gifford and put him out of commission for two years?

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1EHius5Y88

    Don't get me wrong, I don't want to see the game go back to the days of clothes-lining, face-masking and head-slapping, but make no mistake, the game was more vicious in Staubach's era.
    I know about that Bednarik vs Gifford situation like most football geeks.

    I think you missed my point, I'm not talking about the obvious rule changes, I'm talking about the athletes. These guys today are just as mean/bad/vicious as any old timer. It's not their fault the game doesn't allow this and that anymore.

    I see a more violent game than I ever have. We see more violent backs for one. Far more collisions because these guys are 230 and look to punish tacklers.

    Remember how The Frig was a rarity, hell, there are HS's now with guys bigger than him. Saw that Arkansas offensive line last night, they are giants. My point is the game is being played by bigger, stronger and faster athletes today with an attitude. I see that attitude, these are not wussies out there.
    Last edited by Dickson; 12-30-2014 at 03:30 PM.
    Reply With Quote
     

  7. Collapse Details
     
    #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Dickson View Post
    I think you missed my point, I'm not talking about the obvious rule changes, I'm talking about the athletes. These guys today are just as mean/bad/vicious as any old timer. It's not their fault the game doesn't allow this and that anymore.
    But Staubach was talking about rule changes. He believes the over-officiating is turning football into a wussy game. Here's what I quoted in the OP:

    "The statistics today are overwhelming. I saw Peyton Manning one time and he had a great comeback drive, but he had two 15-yard roughing-the-passer penalties. I'm thinking, 'I don't ever remember having one of those.' It's kind of a wussy game, really, in a way."
    Of course the athletes are bigger and faster. Neither Staubach nor any of the other old timers would disagree with you on this point.
    Reply With Quote
     

  8. Collapse Details
     
    #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    936
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzcyclist View Post
    But Staubach was talking about rule changes. He believes the over-officiating is turning football into a wussy game. Here's what I quoted in the OP:



    Of course the athletes are bigger and faster. Neither Staubach nor any of the other old timers would disagree with you on this point.
    I must have misunderstood......Roger Staubach calls todays....players...wussies. That is about the players right? Well that simply isn't true and if the rules were like they were in Staubachs day we'd see just how wrong he really is. Todays NFL is far far more vicious than ever, I see that in every game and have been into this stuff since the early 60's. Seen all those old bad asses...Butkus, John Henry Johnson, Tatum, Alzado, etc. They had nothing on these guys today.
    Reply With Quote
     

  9. Collapse Details
     
    #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Indian Territory
    Posts
    13,789
    Some refs have cracked down on body shots to the point that the only safe non-penalty tackle would be flag football.
    Reply With Quote
     

  10. Collapse Details
     
    #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    4,361
    Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf View Post
    Some refs have cracked down on body shots to the point that the only safe non-penalty tackle would be flag football.
    Somebody on ESPN once said that 10 years ago, when they were cracking down on tackles.
    Reply With Quote
     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •