Facts, Not Fiction

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Re: You can't make this stuff up
    Quote Originally Posted by Pego
    Sound bites work a lot better than a coherent policy proposal.
    Does she have a coherent policy proposal too?
    Knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance

2. Collapse Details
    Being from Arizona and a conservative, I can say that this ad is a bit over the top for me. What the crap does the ability to fire a gun (which seems to be her strongest selling point) do to make me believe I should vote for you? People may remember her just because of this and maybe on her small budget, that is all she is after -- name recognition.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by odelltrclan
    Being from Arizona and a conservative, I can say that this ad is a bit over the top for me. What the crap does the ability to fire a gun (which seems to be her strongest selling point) do to make me believe I should vote for you?
    Exactly. If all political matters were settled at the OK corral, that MIGHT be a persuasive selling point. Luckily, however, our political system hasn't quite devolved to that level. Spraying bullets in the desert may unleash some positive emotion in the reptilian brain of some viewers, but it hasn't a thing to do with leadership.

4. Collapse Details
    ???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Wow, where have you guys been? You make it sound like this is some kind of one-off. Maybe not as blatant but this is basically preview of what the Republican party is becoming. For example here is Nevada Republican Senate nominee Sharron Angle:

"You know, our Founding Fathers, they put that Second Amendment in there for a good reason, and that was for the people to protect themselves against a tyrannical government. And in fact Thomas Jefferson said, it's good for a country to have a revolution every 20 years," Angle said. "I hope that's not where we're going, but, you know, if this Congress keeps going the way it is, people are really looking toward those Second Amendment remedies and saying, my goodness, what can we do to turn this country around? I'll tell you, the first thing we need to do is take Harry Reid out."

http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2010 ... hp?ref=fpb

Rep. Michelle Bachmann in Minnesota has said similar things, calling for a 'revoultion'.

http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2009 ... reedom.php

There are many more examples.

5. Collapse Details
    I am sure this thread will end soon since it now seems to be turning to politics, but Conor, your comments about a certain party are total BS. By removing Harry Reid I am pretty sure they meant through voting, not through the use of guns. The second amendment is currently a hot topic because, unbelievably, aspects of it are continually challenged and it is almost unfathomable for me to see that 4 judges on the Supreme Court recently voted against it in the recent court case. Given the constitution hating Kagan (the one who discontinued constitutional law at Harvard and replaced it with an international law course) was not yet there (thank God), what does that say about our future direction? Our current government is taking our rights away and spending our futures with no end in sight.

6. Collapse Details
    Conor and odel, I must remind you that free speech day is still four days away,

7. Collapse Details
    ???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzcyclist
    Conor and odel, I must remind you that free speech day is still four days away,
    Don't worry jazz. I have said my piece. I just wanted to point out the environment that encourages this sort of nonsense is being pushed on a national level.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Daisy
    Quote Originally Posted by Pego
    Sound bites work a lot better than a coherent policy proposal.
    Does she have a coherent policy proposal too?
    Well she has half of the Guns & Butter equation covered . . .

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzcyclist
    [ I'm sure you know that politicians shoot themselves in the foot all the time. .
    Oh yeah, politicians of all stripes make unbelievably ill-advised/down right stupid pronouncements all the time.
    Sometimes it may be because they misjudge the audience but I suspect they are just speaking their thoughts.
    I dread and intend to ignore the the upcoming Free Speech forum and implore the mods to discontinue it. It does nothing except destroy a year's accumulated good will among otherwise amicable/compatible track friends.
    It inevitably disentegrates from civil differences in opinion to a personal insults and unflattering allegations of one's intellect, ancestry,mental competence and personal philosphy.
    I am personally offended by the stuff permitted, not only on the Free Speech forum but day to day, and I am sure I would be ostracized and permanently banned if I responded in kind.

10. Collapse Details
    Heaven-In front of stereo listenin to re-mastered Beatles
    Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf
    It inevitably disentegrates from civil differences in opinion to a personal insults and unflattering allegations of one's intellect, ancestry,mental competence and personal philosphy..
    I will post my usual open love letter to Garry for this great site. One out of a thousand anit bad! :mrgreen:
    phsstt!