Facts, Not Fiction

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    You can't make this stuff up
    This is a real political TV commercial. What does it say about the electorate that this ad is aimed at?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqnjzONr ... r_embedded

2. Collapse Details
    Re: You can't make this stuff up
    and she needs expertise in automatic weapons because . . . ?

[altho if you watch her in rapid-fire with the pistol, she is spraying shots everywhere as she attempts to keep firing thru the kickbacks]

that is indeed a VERY disturbing commercial

3. Collapse Details
    Mind-blowingly disgraceful.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzcyclist
    This is a real political TV commercial. What does it say about the electorate that this ad is aimed at?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqnjzONr ... r_embedded
    Hey, this is a political commercial and it says to me the candidate knows her constituency.

5. Collapse Details
    For the record, the Second Amendment is one of the issues where I split with my liberal brethren, and I used to own a federal firearms license, but I would be insulted if a politician tried to pander to me in such an unsophisticated way.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzcyclist
    For the record, the Second Amendment is one of the issues where I split with my liberal brethren, and I used to own a federal firearms license, but I would be insulted if a politician tried to pander to me in such an unsophisticated way.
    C'mon, Jazz, all politics is pandering. I am insulted by practically every political commercial I see. Besides, she is not worried about insulting you. You cannot vote in Arizona and 75% ( or some such number) of her state agrees with her.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf
    Besides, she is not worried about insulting you. You cannot vote in Arizona and 75% ( or some such number) of her state agrees with her.
    I may not live in Arizona, but I would think that she wouldn't want to use an issue that we agree on to actually decrease the chances that somebody like me would vote for her. A while back there was a local Black politician who was running for office and who I was considering voting for until one day I heard one of his ads on a Black/R&B radio station in which the voice was speaking in Ebonics. After hearing that, there was no way I would vote for him. I feel the same way about Ms. Gorman's ad.

8. Collapse Details
    Apples and oranges, jazz.
    I understand you being turned off by the ebonics pandering. I was born and reared as what many/most sophisticates would dismiss as "red neck" but I have been to the city and know a genuine "good old boy" when I hear one. It grates on me when a city slicker tries to be country.

I surmise that that politician, or his advisors, rightly or wrongly, concluded it would appeal to more voters than it offended. Did it?
    I'll wager Ms Gorman "counted the house" before making that commercial.

9. Collapse Details
    I surmise that that politician, or his advisors, rightly or wrongly, concluded it would appeal to more voters than it offended. Did it?
    I guess we'll find out on election day whether or not Ms. Gorman read her constituency correctly, but I'm sure you know that politicians shoot themselves in the foot all the time. Recenetly, an opponent of South Carolina's Indian-American gubernatorial candidate Nikki Haley thought he could do some damage to her when he said "We've already got a raghead in the White House, we don't need another raghead in the governor's mansion." It turns out that he was wrong, and on election day we found out that even the good ole boys who vote in South Carolina's Republican primaries were turned off by that comment.

10. Collapse Details
    Apples and oranges, jazz.
    I understand you being turned off by the ebonics pandering. I was born and reared as what many/most sophisticates would dismiss as "red neck" but I have been to the city and know a genuine "good old boy" when I hear one. It grates on me when a city slicker tries to be country.

You are right, of course. The appeal to a mob mentality has been a time-honored tradition from all far ends of the political spectrum. Sound bites work a lot better than a coherent policy proposal.
    "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
    by Thomas Henry Huxley