Facts, Not Fiction

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Walt Murphy
    Quote Originally Posted by guru
    Quote Originally Posted by gh
    Tell that to all the people who can't run on such a facility and find they can't quality for the nationals.

A multi-million dollar indoor track & field palace built with private dollars. Leave to the editor of T&FN to look for the cloud around a silver lining..
    gh speaks for a lot of people, including me, who care about these things.

I think it's great that a new track was built, but why not make it 200-meters?
    Because they do not give a d*** about people that cannot do conversions to find out how good marks are and who are too slow to use the data correctly. 300m makes a much better facility; that is to be compromised for WHAT, exactly. And the rules currently allow downhill running in the 200 that is such a problem that they just cut the event out of some of the championships (WIC).

I think that the design the Wisconsin wants to use on its new track is to have a 200m banked (bankable, might also allow switching with flat) oval inside with a larger oval outside with a maximum length of about 300m. Of course, this is scheduled for k years into the future where k is a number larger than the immediate planning horizon and has almost cerrtainly been made larger by the financial turmoil of the last 18 months.

2. Collapse Details

I think it's great that a new track was built, but why not make it 200-meters?
    A friend of mine is highly involved there. The layout is designed to simulate the 400m turns w/ shorter straights. The do have 150m straights, but just offset from the oval. The times here will be fast because of the turns & this place was also designed to be good for training, especially to transition to the outdoor season.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by 26mi235
    Tell that to all the people who can't run on such a facility and find they can't quality for the nationals.
    Rather than get rid of great tracks use adjust qualifying marks like they do for altitude. Four categories: 1) unbanked 200m; 2) banked 200m; 3) unbanked oversized tracks; and 4) 10 or more laps per mile (might need banked and unbanked variants here.
    FWIW, this is exactly what DIII does. The 200m flat is considered the baseline track, with oversized, banked, and undersized conversions of -0.6s/400m, -0.5s/400m, and +0.30s/400m respectively.

This sometimes gets hairy due to the reputation of some metropolitan-area schools feasting on access to oversized and banked tracks (Armony, Reggie Lewis, etc.) and then having trouble running on the 200m flat tracks at NCAA.

4. Collapse Details

think it's great that a new track was built, but why not make it 200-meters?
    For the sake of stat-keepers and descending order list keepers? I think not.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by nbonaddio
    FWIW, this is exactly what DIII does. The 200m flat is considered the baseline track, with oversized, banked, and undersized conversions of -0.6s/400m, -0.5s/400m, and +0.30s/400m respectively.
    I wonder why DIII and DI do it differently. If these schools are educational institutions, something like this should be science-based and the same formula should be valid for all divisions.

6. Collapse Details

The track-size related issues in the NCAA qualifying could be solved in one fell swoop by implementing regional competition indoors instead of outdoors.

As a coach, I would never want my school to waste money on a 200m track if a 300m one is an option.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by tandfman
    Quote Originally Posted by nbonaddio
    I wonder why DIII and DI do it differently. If these schools are educational institutions, something like this should be science-based and the same formula should be valid for all divisions.
    Without knowing for sure, it stands to reason that DIII did this because a majority of the athletes run on the 200m flat tracks, since the locations where DIII is most prevalent are also areas where there is little to no access to larger or banked facilities. Without the conversion, the NCAA meet would be top-heavy with urban institutions who have access to these tracks and better competition. A talented athlete will be able to run a 3:50 1500m no matter where he is; however it is surely easier on a wider, longer track against an athlete from Georgetown than it would be on a tight track versus the 4:25 kid from Illinois Wesleyan.

Comparably speaking, the average D1 athlete runs many more meets on banked/oversized tracks, therefore it makes sense that a banked/oversized track is their baseline, whereas the 200m flat track is the baseline for DIII. All that said, there is some question as to how the conversions are quantified and how legitimate they are, but that is a different discussion.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gm
    The track-size related issues in the NCAA qualifying could be solved in one fell swoop by implementing regional competition indoors instead of outdoors.

As a coach, I would never want my school to waste money on a 200m track if a 300m one is an option.
    As a 6'5" quarter-miler, I agree wholeheartedly. Make those turns as wide as possible!

9. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by guru

A multi-million dollar indoor track & field palace built with private dollars. Leave to the editor of T&FN to look for the cloud around a silver lining.

So you would prefer the facility not be built at all, and all the kids in northeast ohio who benefit from such a wealth of outstanding venues spend their winters in their school hallways?

We would KILL for a facility like that in southwest Ohio. I hope the folks in Greater Cleveland know how very lucky they are.
    I got an idea: if you want to continue to play in this sandbox, but back on the ad hominen tone, please.

For the record, I'm all for wonderful training sites; it's when that concept clashes with actual competition that I get bothered.

You'll excuse me if I remain completely unapologetic for promoting a stance that follows the rules of the sport.

I can't support competition on a track that's too big any more than I can voting for using 15-pound shots. It's a pretty simple concept: you accept all the rules, not just pick and choose which attract your fancy.

10. Collapse Details

I can't support competition on a track that's too big any more than I can voting for using 15-pound shots. It's a pretty simple concept: you accept all the rules, not just pick and choose which attract your fancy.
    Just like laws, rules that are not enforced cease to have any meaning. Within the context of the NCAA oversized tracks are no longer against the rules. Is your beef with the track makers or the NCAA? For the record this is way low on the whether I care list. It only matters in the since that it would be nice if a decent percentage of the people who deserve to compete at NCAA indoor actually get to compete.