Facts, Not Fiction

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Tell that to all the people who can't run on such a facility and find they can't quality for the nationals.

2. Collapse Details

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogery- chwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch, Wales
    Quote Originally Posted by gh
    Tell that to all the people who can't run on such a facility and find they can't quality for the nationals.

A multi-million dollar indoor track & field palace built with private dollars. Leave to the editor of T&FN to look for the cloud around a silver lining.

So you would prefer the facility not be built at all, and all the kids in northeast ohio who benefit from such a wealth of outstanding venues spend their winters in their school hallways?

We would KILL for a facility like that in southwest Ohio. I hope the folks in Greater Cleveland know how very lucky they are.
    There are no strings on me

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by guru

A multi-million dollar indoor track & field palace built with private dollars. Leave to the editor of T&FN to look for the cloud around a silver lining.

So you would prefer the facility not be built at all, and all the kids in northeast ohio who benefit from such a wealth of outstanding venues spend their winters in their school hallways?

We would KILL for a facility like that in southwest Ohio. I hope the folks in Greater Cleveland know how very lucky they are.
    The obvious counter to that is "well, they could've taken the money (or even less of it) and built an outstanding 200m facility."

Just saying. Kinda straw-manning gh to suggest he's suggesting they do without any track.

4. Collapse Details

Rather than get rid of great tracks use adjust qualifying marks like they do for altitude. Four categories: 1) unbanked 200m; 2) banked 200m; 3) unbanked oversized tracks; and 4) 10 or more laps per mile (might need banked and unbanked variants here.

There is lots of data and once they used the criteria the comparison data would get better (right now, best efforts are saved for a big qualifying push).

While you are not as close to the action, there are very good stands that are closer than for the best outdoor tracks and there is a lack of infield clutter getting in the way of seeing across the track. I am not sure if they have stands on both sides or not. Also note that they can run 100m races here without any wind, so it holds that variable 'constant' in a manner outdoor adjustments can only calculate about.

5. Collapse Details

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogery- chwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch, Wales
    Quote Originally Posted by BisonHurdler
    The obvious counter to that is "well, they could've taken the money (or even less of it) and built an outstanding 200m facility."

Just saying. Kinda straw-manning gh to suggest he's suggesting they do without any track.

Except you can't do much in the infield of a 200m track, and that facility pays the bills with alot more than just track meets.
    There are no strings on me

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by 26mi235
    Rather than get rid of great tracks use adjust qualifying marks like they do for altitude.
    Double zackly.

7. Collapse Details

Rather than get rid of great tracks use adjust qualifying marks like they do for altitude. Four categories: 1) unbanked 200m; 2) banked 200m; 3) unbanked oversized tracks; and 4) 10 or more laps per mile (might need banked and unbanked variants here.
    The NCAA does have track size adjustments, but they don't differentiate between banked 200m tracks and oversized tracks.

8. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlow
    Rather than get rid of great tracks use adjust qualifying marks like they do for altitude.
    Double zackly.
    The NCAA and NAIA already does this. Who doesn't?

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by guru

A multi-million dollar indoor track & field palace built with private dollars. Leave to the editor of T&FN to look for the cloud around a silver lining..
    gh speaks for a lot of people, including me, who care about these things.

I think it's great that a new track was built, but why not make it 200-meters?

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Walt Murphy
    I think it's great that a new track was built, but why not make it 200-meters?
    Guru had one answer:
    you can't do much in the infield of a 200m track, and that facility pays the bills with alot more than just track meets.
    Another answer is that these folks may have seen how many top collegiate programs are attracted to oversized facilities like those at Notre Dame and Washington. And they may have just figured they'd be better off with building with an oversized track than with one that has just another standard 200m track.

Of course the NCAA could fix that situation in a hurry by doing track adjustments differently.