Facts, Not Fiction

Page 70 of 121 FirstFirst ... 2060686970717280120 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

I don't like shots much... I gotta get me some religion!!!

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by jc203 View Post
    I don't like shots much... I gotta get me some religion!!!
    Along those lines, I had a Christian Scientist for a roommate in college. I gotta admit, he was very rarely sick, and If he was, it didn't last long. Doesn't prove anything, but modern psychology does support the idea that a positive attitude strengthens the immune system. I never underestimate the power of the mind to affect things it shouldn't be able to. I remain a skeptic, but an open-minded one.
    But . . . getting shots is part of having that positive attitude.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    Along those lines, I had a Christian Scientist for a roommate in college. I gotta admit, he was very rarely sick, and If he was, it didn't last long. Doesn't prove anything, but modern psychology does support the idea that a positive attitude strengthens the immune system. I never underestimate the power of the mind to affect things it shouldn't be able to. I remain a skeptic, but an open-minded one.
    But . . . getting shots is part of having that positive attitude.
    Back in the '80s, I was working for a large company and there was a Christian Scientist who reported to me. She had visible medical issues, and at some point she went on disability and died shortly thereafter. She was a good worker and a good person. Our company's chief medical officer told me he was pretty sure that what this employee had was treatable, and he told her as much. But true to her religion, she refused treatment.

4. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Along those lines, I had a Christian Scientist for a roommate in college. I gotta admit, he was very rarely sick, and If he was, it didn't last long. Doesn't prove anything, but modern psychology does support the idea that a positive attitude strengthens the immune system. ....
    his "positive attitude" may also have manifested itself as internalizing the onset and fade of whatever maladies he had, rather than pissing and moaning like most of us do.

That's not the same as actually being less sick.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    his "positive attitude" may also have manifested itself as internalizing the onset and fade of whatever maladies he had, rather than pissing and moaning like most of us do. That's not the same as actually being less sick.
    He did indeed have an irredeemably positive attitude all the time.
    On the other hand, the placebo effect is real - even to the point of reversing illnesses that would have otherwise lingered.

6. Collapse Details

excerpt

This isn't very nice of me, but she needs to get an especially debilitating case of flu, and then get a cancer scare, undergo chemo for about 6 months, get cured, and acquire a fresh perspective.
    A terminal case, rather than debilitating, would be better for the rest of us

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by DrJay View Post
    The problem is that she would attribute the cure to God, not medicine, or in the case influenza, simply her immune system doing its job. It would only serve to reinforce her beliefs.
    As per my previous observation, a terminal case would at least prevent her from infecting others. Stupid is, as stupid does, and it is so often incurable, as I am sure is the case with preacher Copeland.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Pego View Post
    Any response to Mrs Copeland I could possibly post on this forum would inevitably represent a bannable offense.
    Oops, maybe I have just jumped into the septic tank in my two previous comments as I work my way through this thread. Hope not.

But never mind, it is what it is, and what it is needed to be said anyway. People like Copeland should be charged with contributory manslaughter when people (or at least children anyway) die because they have stupid parents who listen to the evils preached by the likes of Copeland.

9. Collapse Details

He did indeed have an irredeemably positive attitude all the time.
    On the other hand, the placebo effect is real - even to the point of reversing illnesses that would have otherwise lingered.
    Placebo effect applies to minimizing subjective symptoms (pain, nausea, fatigue...). Reversing an actual pathological process is not part of a placebo effect.
    "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
    by Thomas Henry Huxley

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Pego View Post
    Placebo effect applies to minimizing subjective symptoms (pain, nausea, fatigue...). Reversing an actual pathological process is not part of a placebo effect.
    It can be in many mental illnesses. A patient who believes the anxiety or depression medicine is working will often minimize the effects of their illness (as they perceive them) and actually report feeling much better, even if the anxiety/depression is not merely psychosomatic, i.e., it is biologically caused (by insufficient or over-abundant particular neurotransmitters).