Facts, Not Fiction

Page 62 of 126 FirstFirst ... 1252606162636472112 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

2. Collapse Details

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/08/o...e-winning.html

(Headline: How the Anti-Vaxxers Are Winning. Article says there are real concerns about measles outbreaks.)

3. Collapse Details

Administrator
    I always like good news.

In this part of the world at least, this year's main flu variant is A (H3N2) and is showing almost no resistance to this year's version of the vaccine.

(the bad news, of course, is that lots of people are coming down with it because..... you guessed it)

4. Collapse Details

Just talking about flu vaccines, I never get it and haven't had the flu in the last ten years. I watch coworkers go get their vaccines and inevitably call out in the near future with the flu. Now, it could be that they're just bad at making up excuses....

5. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by tandfman View Post
    https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/08/o...e-winning.html

(Headline: How the Anti-Vaxxers Are Winning. Article says there are real concerns about measles outbreaks.)
    The measles vaccine is one of the safest and most effective vaccines on the schedule. But the graphics are misleading because they don't represent measles vaccination rates, they represent a much larger number of vaccines. My kids would show as unvaxed on both of those graphics, yet they were vaccinated on schedule for measles.

I agree with the article mostly, but I feel like they are implying that _all_ vaccines are equally safe/effective/valuable to public health, which I don't agree with.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    Just talking about flu vaccines, I never get it and haven't had the flu in the last ten years. I watch coworkers go get their vaccines and inevitably call out in the near future with the flu. Now, it could be that they're just bad at making up excuses....
    Consider yourself lucky. That is it.
    "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
    by Thomas Henry Huxley

7. Collapse Details

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogery- chwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch, Wales
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post

Same here. I havent had a flu vaccine in my entire adult life(I'm 49). Last time I had the flu was 2002, and the last cold I had was 2007(though being on sabbatical from HS coaching since 2010 has probably helped those stats lol).
    There are no strings on me

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    I always like good news.

In this part of the world at least, this year's main flu variant is A (H3N2) and is showing almost no resistance to this year's version of the vaccine.

(the bad news, of course, is that lots of people are coming down with it because..... you guessed it)
    I can vouch for that personally. I had my flu shot in the fall, and was diagnosed with flu A last week. (Feeling better now, but did have a few miserable days.)

9. Collapse Details

Administrator
    of course, when it comes to epidemiology, personal anecdotes are absolutely worthless.

10. Collapse Details

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogery- chwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch, Wales
    Just the same, I aint changing what works
    There are no strings on me