Facts, Not Fiction

Page 51 of 121 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    California gov signs new law making it one of the toughest states on mandatory vaccination.

http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/B...ns-6358317.php
    The medical exception business starts exploding in 3,2,1...

2. Collapse Details

from an IP that never sent jazz that PM, never !
    Quote Originally Posted by jc203 View Post
    It would be far beyond my ken to figure out such stats but it would be interesting to know if smokers pay more (in sales taxes, Soc. Sec., Medicare/Medicaid, pension costs) than they receive in health insurance and disability, etc.

My guess is that when smokers get treatment for lung or bladder or other smoking related cancers or heart disease they cost way more than they have paid.

But then again, health care costs are so murky that they become mind-boggling.
    Health care billings tend to be huge, but insurances usually approve payment for a only a small percentage of the initial billing, with patients or supplemental coverage responsible for a small percentage of that total.

Sorting all that out for a large segment of the population like smokers would be more challenging than trying to figure out who paid what price for airline tickets on a given flight!

I would guess that the smoking is not the key indicator of loss to the state.

Smokers that work, earn a living and pay income and property and payroll taxes likely pay more in than they ever get while smokers that do not work but are on welfare or in some other way not contributing are likely a net burden to the state.

If you die early having paid into the system you are a net contributor, an asset.
    If you die early having only taken from the system then you are a net liability.

3. Collapse Details

User: I tend to disagree but neither of us has data so neither one of us has any basis for a reasoned opinion.

4. Collapse Details

Administrator
    and smoking has zilch to do with this thread.

5. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by booond View Post
    The medical exception business starts exploding in 3,2,1...
    Medical exemptions are very difficult to get. I've known (online) plenty of moms whose kids had seizures and other fairly serious reactions to vaccines and were unable to get them.

6. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    California gov signs new law making it one of the toughest states on mandatory vaccination.

http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/B...ns-6358317.php
    The bill isn't tied to specific vaccines (as far as I know), it's just tied to whatever vaccines the state thinks should be mandatory. The media tries to frame it as being just about measles, but that's not what the bill is about.

There is certainly room for healthy debate as to whether or not a kindergardener NEEDS a Hepatitis B vaccine, and this increases the motivation for vaccine makers to push for more vaccines to be mandatory such as Gardasil (HPV) (which is by far the most controversial of the not-yet-mandatory vaccines).

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by polevaultpower View Post
    The bill isn't tied to specific vaccines (as far as I know), it's just tied to whatever vaccines the state thinks should be mandatory. The media tries to frame it as being just about measles, but that's not what the bill is about.

There is certainly room for healthy debate as to whether or not a kindergardener NEEDS a Hepatitis B vaccine, and this increases the motivation for vaccine makers to push for more vaccines to be mandatory such as Gardasil (HPV) (which is by far the most controversial of the not-yet-mandatory vaccines).
    From the article:

"California requires public- and private-school students to be vaccinated against 10 diseases — including measles, mumps, rubella, tetanus, chicken pox, hepatitis B and diphtheria — before entering kindergarten. "

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by polevaultpower
    I've known (online) plenty of moms whose kids had seizures
    In nearly 50 years of practicing neurology, I saw 1 case where the child started having seizures a few months after vaccination, most likely a coincidence. No more cases in all those years.
    Last edited by Pego; 07-03-2015 at 11:34 PM.
    "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
    by Thomas Henry Huxley

9. Collapse Details
    Smile
    Quote Originally Posted by Pego View Post
    I suspect, I am the only member of this message board that actually saw a case of diphtheria. Not a pretty sight.
    My father had diptheria at age 10 and the doctor ordered that he be moved to a camp bed on the verandah of the very small rural hospital. He told my grandmother, "We need the bed for somebody who is going to live." Hope you had better bedside manner, Pego!

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by El Toro View Post
    My father had diptheria at age 10 and the doctor ordered that he be moved to a camp bed on the verandah of the very small rural hospital. He told my grandmother, "We need the bed for somebody who is going to live." Hope you had better bedside manner, Pego!
    By my time, we had penicillin and serum, it was no longer a death sentence :-).
    "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
    by Thomas Henry Huxley