Facts, Not Fiction

Page 16 of 121 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666116 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by rasb
    Not very difficult to diagnose, with or without an MD. What a joke !
    Listen, I am not saying a flu shot is causing this woman's condition. I am not certain her condition is genuine. But you are manifesting ignorance with your above comment.

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by 2 cents
    But you are manifesting ignorance with your above comment.
    Is that a lot like being a delusional lunatic that insists he sees things that aren't actually there?

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by DrJay
    You know who she looks like.....Joe Cocker on stage!
    Do you actually practice medicine? Or do you simply play a doctor on message boards? Do you really think you can diagnose this woman from your laptop?
    I have studied and practiced the craft of neurology including movement disorder in excess of 40 years. I think, I can offer a pretty decent guess.
    "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
    by Thomas Henry Huxley

4. Collapse Details

Well, guess away, Pego, guess away....I guess this is multiple choice...

5. Collapse Details

Well, guess away, Pego, guess away....I guess this is multiple choice...
    Precisely. Three options in differential diagnosis. Organic dystonia is not among them.
    "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
    by Thomas Henry Huxley

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by DrJay
    You know who she looks like.....Joe Cocker on stage!
    Do you actually practice medicine? Or do you simply play a doctor on message boards? Do you really think you can diagnose this woman from your laptop?
    I'm a general internist, in real life. I am not a neurologist--pego is, read his brief comments--but I've seen enough neurologic illness in my 18 years since completing my residency to view that video with a whopping big dose of skepticism. I don't think it is possible to have those movements as an involuntary part of a neurologic illness (as opposed to a psychiatric illness, such as a conversion disorder:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conversion_disorder)

yet have very close to normal motor function simply by changing to a trot or backwards walking. Like I said, her movements look volitional to me. If she came to me as a patient, I would send her to a good neurologist. I suspect he/she would say this is not any form of dystonia, or any other neurologic disease.

7. Collapse Details

If you suspect she may have a psychiatric disorder, or a psychogenic disorder, would that be a good reason to mock her?

8. Collapse Details

I've seen patients who claimed one entire side of their body was numb, from crown of the head to tips of the toes, right up to their midline, with absolutely no other neurologic symptoms whatsoever....not possible, there is no neurologic lesion that can do that. A friend who worked for the Public Health Service in the hills of eastern Kentucky had a few patients come in, proclaiming in a preacherly sort of dramatic voice, "Doctah! Doctah! Ahm BLAHND! Ah kint SEE! Jesus strook me BLAHND!" and they could see, they had no illness making them blind. We can't always find a precise explanation for some symptoms, but we can often say "X" is definitely NOT due to "Y" and I'm pretty sure this lady's movements are not due to a neurologic movement disorder. Again, I'll defer to a neurologist.

9. Collapse Details

If you suspect she may have a psychiatric disorder, or a psychogenic disorder, would that be a good reason to mock her?
    Point well taken. It may not be fair, but in the world of publicity-seeking balloon boy fathers and ambulance-chasing lawyers, it's hard for me not to look at this in a negative way. She didn't come in to my office seeking help, she came via youtube and Channel 16, with a claim that the flu shot "did this" to her. One would hope Channel 16 would have a physician-consultant they would check with before airing such a story. But no. This is precisely the sort of mindset that leads to multi-billion dollar settlements between Dow Corning and women who claim their silicone breast implants caused their rheumatoid arthritis, or lupus, or fibromyalgia, even though such a connection has been proven in valid scientific studies NOT to exist. Why do we ignore rational science in this country, in favor of sound bites, snake oil, and hysteria?

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by rasb
    Not very difficult to diagnose, with or without an MD. What a joke !
    Listen, I am not saying a flu shot is causing this woman's condition. I am not certain her condition is genuine. But you are manifesting ignorance with your above comment.
    Really ? How incredibly clever of you, to notice my ignorance... We are blessed by your genius, and I, for one, can't wait to get your 3 cents worth.