Facts, Not Fiction

Page 13 of 122 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363113 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogery- chwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch, Wales
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlow
    I thought I read that 250,000,000 (!!!) vaccines were ordered for the USA and the first batches are rolling out now!!!!!

You did. There will be more than enough for anyone who wants one.
    There are no strings on me

2. Collapse Details

Administrator
    When I had my boring-old-normal flu shot a couple of weeks ago, the pharmacist said it would be months before anything trickled down to low-risk people.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by guru
    I thought I read that 250,000,000 (!!!) vaccines were ordered for the USA and the first batches are rolling out now!!!!!

You did. There will be more than enough for anyone who wants one.
    The larger number of doses available is the result of only needing one shot, not two, and of needling less per shot that initially planned. Both of these things are a good deal for developing countries that would otherwise have trouble getting enough does at an acceptable cost.

4. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by BisonHurdler
    I.....

We're essentially required to get both the standard Influenza Vaccine as well as the H1N1 Vaccine at school.
    Back in the day I took Bact 310 (Medical Microbiology) and since we were playing with pathogens, before class started we had to go get shot up.

So all at once I had shots for DTP (diphtheria, tetanus, pertussis), smallpox, typhoid and paratyphoid A&B plus a swallow of Sabin polio.

Fell asleep about 2 hours later and didn't wake up for almost 24.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh
    I.....

We're essentially required to get both the standard Influenza Vaccine as well as the H1N1 Vaccine at school.
    Back in the day I took Bact 310 (Medical Microbiology) and since we were playing with pathogens, before class started we had to go get shot up.

So all at once I had shots for DTP (diphtheria, tetanus, pertussis), smallpox, typhoid and paratyphoid A&B plus a swallow of Sabin polio.

Yea, like basic training where they get everyone up to date with shoots in a short period of time and I was more shot-phobic then than I am now.

6. Collapse Details

Administrator
    When my father was in basic they didn't want anybody to get out of a day's training by claiming a sore arm so they gave all the shots in the chest!

7. Collapse Details

Was it just a military thing or has anyone else ever been subjected to "The Gun"?! It was like a nail gun in that it was big electronic thing with about 100 shots in it and they lined us all up and shot us about 8 times each before our overseas deplyment. I shudder to think about the contamination factors involved, but by the end of the barrage, my shoulder was a bloody mess. It turns out that If you had just been lifting weights beforehand, your muscles tended to twitch DURING the injection, which just made sure the gun shredded the site.
    YEEEEOOOOWWWCCCHHH!

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by 26mi235
    Quote Originally Posted by gh
    I.....

Yea, like basic training where they get everyone up to date with shoots in a short period of time and I was more shot-phobic then than I am now.
    I have never seen so many faintings as I did, when we vaccinated incoming soldiers. Dropping like flies :-).
    "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
    by Thomas Henry Huxley

9. Collapse Details

I remember the mass all-in-one-at-once shots on induction into the military but I don't remember it as being especially painful or traumatic. It was not optional and we were pre-conditoned, I suspect, with horror tales to expect it to be worse than it actually was. I think we mostly just shrugged it off as a macho thing.

10. Collapse Details

Was it just a military thing or has anyone else ever been subjected to "The Gun"?! It was like a nail gun in that it was big electronic thing with about 100 shots in it and they lined us all up and shot us about 8 times
    each before our overseas deplyment. I shudder to think about the contamination factors involved, but by the end of the barrage, my shoulder was a bloody mess. It turns out that If you had just been lifting weights beforehand, your muscles tended to twitch DURING the injection, which just made sure the gun shredded the site.
    YEEEEOOOOWWWCCCHHH!
    Marlow I remember that
    on the road