Facts, Not Fiction

Page 118 of 121 FirstFirst ... 1868108116117118119120 ... LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,180 of 1203
  1. Collapse Details

Administrator

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    And yet in the Congo it's getting hard to get people to take the Ebola vaccination due to fake news about it (Ebola) being spread by the shot!

3. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    In the FT today...

4. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Please note this from the forum guidelines

<<11. Please respect the copyright of others: do not cut and paste whole articles to this site. Using the principle of "fair use," there's nothing wrong with quoting small snippets of copy in to, but if you want somebody to read a whole article, please provide the URL. The same goes for copyrighted photos. >>

5. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Oh yes, second to last paragraph of that article... "some people who were just asking responsible parenting questions could feel 'demonised' by the language used by those in favour of vaccines online."

While that is far from the biggest thing driving the movement, this is absolutely how some parents get a foot in the door of the anti-vaccine groups, which can lead to them to becoming radicalized, in a sense, over the issue. Polarized for sure.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by polevaultpower View Post
    this is absolutely how some parents get a foot in the door of the anti-vaccine groups, which can lead to them to becoming radicalized, in a sense, over the issue. Polarized for sure.
    Once a group gets put on the defensive, all logic goes out the door, as they dig their feet in (have I mixed enough metaphors?).

7. Collapse Details

Administrator
    This article is about evangelism, but this is also what happens in the anti-vax world.

The vitriol toward AV parents (as opposed to having mature discussions) just feeds into what the AV community wants.

https://www.boredpanda.com/religious...mpaign=organic

8. Collapse Details

The vitriol toward AV parents (as opposed to having mature discussions) just feeds into what the AV community wants.
    The idea that sane people have NOT tried to have a mature discussion about this is comically false. It's essentially the same dustup that Copernicus and Galileo had . . .

9. Collapse Details

"some people who were just asking responsible parenting questions could feel 'demonised' by the language used by those in favour of vaccines online."

While that is far from the biggest thing driving the movement, this is absolutely how some parents get a foot in the door of the anti-vaccine groups
    This goes both ways. Scientists are routinely accused of being alarmist and profiteering. The result is stronger language and a general lack of patience.

10. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by bad hammy View Post
    The idea that sane people have NOT tried to have a mature discussion about this is comically false. It's essentially the same dustup that Copernicus and Galileo had . . .

I'm in mommy groups and pro-vax groups and anti-vax groups. Sure, lots of people have tried to have mature discussions, but I can tell you that there are many times and places where valid questions are asked and the poster is immediately treated to aggressive comments at best, attacks and mocking at worst.

As a young(ish) mom, I inhabit a lot of online circles that most of you don't...

Millions of reasonable discussions may have happened, but on an individual level, individuals are being turned AV by their own personal experiences of being attacked by PVers.

I'm not welcomed in either community. It is hard to inhabit a space in the middle. If I were to be polarized one way or the other, I could get a lot of asspats, but that isn't what drives me.