Facts, Not Fiction

 
Page 11 of 121 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 1206
  1. Collapse Details
     
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Bodymore, Murderland
    Posts
    2,274
    As a general rule, anti-vaccine folks usually seem pretty shortsighted. People like Bill Maher vehemently bash chlorinated water because "chlorine is a poison! would you drink a glass of chlorine!" Apparently he'd prefer to die of cholera than minuscule amounts of chlorine, but that's his decision
    Reply With Quote
     

  2. Collapse Details
     
    Quote Originally Posted by BisonHurdler
    Apparently the only reason anyone should take antibiotics, according to him, is if you're in a car wreck or suffer a war injury.
    I assume he is not aware of all the life saving examples of antibiotics. I agree that they are oversubscribed but he's being a little extreme in this case.
    Knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance
    Reply With Quote
     

  3. Collapse Details
     
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Bodymore, Murderland
    Posts
    2,274
    Quote Originally Posted by Daisy
    Quote Originally Posted by BisonHurdler
    Apparently the only reason anyone should take antibiotics, according to him, is if you're in a car wreck or suffer a war injury.
    I assume he is not aware of all the life saving examples of antibiotics. I agree that they are oversubscribed but he's being a little extreme in this case.

    Certainly overprescribed (I have an exam on antibiotics tomorrow, by the way). But he's a bit off his rocker, I'd say.
    Reply With Quote
     

  4. Collapse Details
     
    Quote Originally Posted by BisonHurdler
    Quote Originally Posted by Daisy
    Quote Originally Posted by BisonHurdler
    Apparently the only reason anyone should take antibiotics, according to him, is if you're in a car wreck or suffer a war injury.
    I assume he is not aware of all the life saving examples of antibiotics. I agree that they are oversubscribed but he's being a little extreme in this case.
    Certainly overprescribed (I have an exam on antibiotics tomorrow, by the way). But he's a bit off his rocker, I'd say.
    After seeing his stance on chlorine, off his rocker, for sure.

    Just noticed my typo above. :) So who are all the people buying this "Antibiotics Weekly"?
    Knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance
    Reply With Quote
     

  5. Collapse Details
     
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    beyond help
    Posts
    12,742
    Quote Originally Posted by guru
    Quote Originally Posted by gh
    Quote Originally Posted by guru
    ...
    But in general, you have to think twice about getting something put into your body that has risk such that federal legislation specifically protects the manufacturers/providers from legal liability.
    The only reason federal legislation is required is because the lunatic fringe has found an ally in personal-injury lawyers who otherwise would make it impoossible for prophylactic medicine to be practiced.

    That decision has nothing to do with "risk" of any significant nature.

    You're right of course. Getting a (yearly) shot of mercury can't possibly be bad for you. Especially if you're a child with a developing nervous system.
    Causation of autism by vaccination has been totally disproved. In the seventies/eighties we thought, there was a connection. There just isn't any strong supporting evidence for it anymore.
    "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
    by Thomas Henry Huxley
    Reply With Quote
     

  6. Collapse Details
     
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Back on my 3-month hiatus!
    Posts
    21,729
    Quote Originally Posted by Pego
    Causation of autism by vaccination has been totally disproved. In the seventies/eighties we thought, there was a connection. There just isn't any strong supporting evidence for it anymore.
    I saw in the paper this morning that autism has increased form 1 in 150 in the 70s, to 1 in a 100 now. Can that not be attributed to better diagnoses?
    Reply With Quote
     

  7. Collapse Details
     
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    beyond help
    Posts
    12,742
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlow
    Quote Originally Posted by Pego
    Causation of autism by vaccination has been totally disproved. In the seventies/eighties we thought, there was a connection. There just isn't any strong supporting evidence for it anymore.
    I saw in the paper this morning that autism has increased form 1 in 150 in the 70s, to 1 in a 100 now. Can that not be attributed to better diagnoses?
    I'd use a wording "more liberal" than "better". Autism as a symptom is a part of several psychiatric entities. A true "early infantile autism of Kanner" is actually quite infrequent. The so-called Asberger's autism already has a lot less strict diagnostic requirements. Quite a few children with a label of "autism" are in fact a mixed bag of developmental abnormalities.
    "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
    by Thomas Henry Huxley
    Reply With Quote
     

  8. Collapse Details
     
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Bodymore, Murderland
    Posts
    2,274
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlow
    Quote Originally Posted by Pego
    Causation of autism by vaccination has been totally disproved. In the seventies/eighties we thought, there was a connection. There just isn't any strong supporting evidence for it anymore.
    I saw in the paper this morning that autism has increased form 1 in 150 in the 70s, to 1 in a 100 now. Can that not be attributed to better diagnoses?


    "Better" is not necessarily the word I'd use. "More liberal/loose" would be more appropriate. But it's misconstruing the facts like this that get people to jump aboard the anti-vaccine bandwagon.


    Edit: Wow, I should start reading all replies before making one of my own. Basically just said what Pego already said.
    Reply With Quote
     

  9. Collapse Details
     
    Quote Originally Posted by BisonHurdler
    Basically just said what Pego already said.
    Just more proof that our "allopathic" doctors are brain washed and only naturopath$ can be trusted with our health.
    Knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance
    Reply With Quote
     

  10. Collapse Details
     
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    23,440
    Add me to the list of those that might have died without antibiotics for a very minor starting place. Blister on foot (somewhat) carefully lanced but got infected. As I understand it, one President's son died of such an infection in the early 1900's.
    Reply With Quote
     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •