Facts, Not Fiction

Page 11 of 121 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

As a general rule, anti-vaccine folks usually seem pretty shortsighted. People like Bill Maher vehemently bash chlorinated water because "chlorine is a poison! would you drink a glass of chlorine!" Apparently he'd prefer to die of cholera than minuscule amounts of chlorine, but that's his decision

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by BisonHurdler
    Apparently the only reason anyone should take antibiotics, according to him, is if you're in a car wreck or suffer a war injury.
    I assume he is not aware of all the life saving examples of antibiotics. I agree that they are oversubscribed but he's being a little extreme in this case.
    Knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy
    Apparently the only reason anyone should take antibiotics, according to him, is if you're in a car wreck or suffer a war injury.
    I assume he is not aware of all the life saving examples of antibiotics. I agree that they are oversubscribed but he's being a little extreme in this case.

Certainly overprescribed (I have an exam on antibiotics tomorrow, by the way). But he's a bit off his rocker, I'd say.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy
    Certainly overprescribed (I have an exam on antibiotics tomorrow, by the way). But he's a bit off his rocker, I'd say.
    After seeing his stance on chlorine, off his rocker, for sure.

Just noticed my typo above. :) So who are all the people buying this "Antibiotics Weekly"?

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by guru
    Quote Originally Posted by gh
    Quote Originally Posted by guru
    But in general, you have to think twice about getting something put into your body that has risk such that federal legislation specifically protects the manufacturers/providers from legal liability.
    The only reason federal legislation is required is because the lunatic fringe has found an ally in personal-injury lawyers who otherwise would make it impoossible for prophylactic medicine to be practiced.

That decision has nothing to do with "risk" of any significant nature.

You're right of course. Getting a (yearly) shot of mercury can't possibly be bad for you. Especially if you're a child with a developing nervous system.
    Causation of autism by vaccination has been totally disproved. In the seventies/eighties we thought, there was a connection. There just isn't any strong supporting evidence for it anymore.
    "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
    by Thomas Henry Huxley

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Pego
    Causation of autism by vaccination has been totally disproved. In the seventies/eighties we thought, there was a connection. There just isn't any strong supporting evidence for it anymore.
    I saw in the paper this morning that autism has increased form 1 in 150 in the 70s, to 1 in a 100 now. Can that not be attributed to better diagnoses?

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Marlow
    I saw in the paper this morning that autism has increased form 1 in 150 in the 70s, to 1 in a 100 now. Can that not be attributed to better diagnoses?
    I'd use a wording "more liberal" than "better". Autism as a symptom is a part of several psychiatric entities. A true "early infantile autism of Kanner" is actually quite infrequent. The so-called Asberger's autism already has a lot less strict diagnostic requirements. Quite a few children with a label of "autism" are in fact a mixed bag of developmental abnormalities.
    "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
    by Thomas Henry Huxley

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Marlow

"Better" is not necessarily the word I'd use. "More liberal/loose" would be more appropriate. But it's misconstruing the facts like this that get people to jump aboard the anti-vaccine bandwagon.

Edit: Wow, I should start reading all replies before making one of my own. Basically just said what Pego already said.

9. Collapse Details

Basically just said what Pego already said.
    Just more proof that our "allopathic" doctors are brain washed and only naturopath$ can be trusted with our health.

10. Collapse Details

Add me to the list of those that might have died without antibiotics for a very minor starting place. Blister on foot (somewhat) carefully lanced but got infected. As I understand it, one President's son died of such an infection in the early 1900's.