Facts, Not Fiction

Page 101 of 121 FirstFirst ... 519199100101102103111 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,010 of 1203
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by thedoorknobbroke View Post
    The HS student in Kentucky said he could not receive the vaccine (measels or chicken pox..can't remember) because the vaccine strain was originally developed from 2 aborted fetuses back in the 1960's and it would violate the principles of his Catholicism if he were to use the vaccine. I don't know, this seems to be stretching the point a bit and I wonder how much mental manipulation he has received all of his life?
    According to one of the stories previously cited here, " (In the 1960s, strains of some vaccines were created using cells from two selectively aborted fetuses. No further sources of fetal cells have been used to produce these vaccines.)"

Another one of these stories says: "he church ruled nearly 15 years ago that Catholics are morally free to use those vaccines when there’s a threat to public health."

2. Collapse Details

from an IP that never sent jazz that PM, never !
    Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    yet, somehow, at one point measles was declared gone from these shores

so what happened?

fools started doubting vaccination and when the virus did make appearances the disease started all over again

thanks to the anti-vax crowd
    I have not seen the epidemiological analysis that traces to the cause of the measles outbreak. I have not seen the evidence leading beyond a doubt to the anti-vax community. Might be so , but we have to trace the strain and see where it came from, and how it got there. Let the data leads us, not the propaganda targeting an "other/out" community. So your surety in blaming a crowd is hard to follow. In fact scapegoating and slandering "other" groups for such social ills has a rich pedigree. It is a tried and tired method in the old control handbook.

Part of the real problem is the poor basic science education that HSs deliver. Our public schools are now tasked with so many social missions and with limited time they must limit their science curriculum.
    Last edited by user4; 03-23-2019 at 02:12 AM.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by tandfman View Post
    According to one of the stories previously cited here, " (In the 1960s, strains of some vaccines were created using cells from two selectively aborted fetuses. No further sources of fetal cells have been used to produce these vaccines.)"

Another one of these stories says: "he church ruled nearly 15 years ago that Catholics are morally free to use those vaccines when there’s a threat to public health."
    right...the kids "reason" has "I was told to say this" written all over it.

4. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by ferenc View Post
    Universal vaccination prevents epidemics. There is no IF or armchair musings.
    That statement ignores science that says otherwise, but OK.

5. Collapse Details

Administrator

There are newer fetal stem cell lines being used in the development of new vaccines.

https://www.rtl.org/prolife_issues/L...talTissue.html
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25803132
    https://cogforlife.org/2015/09/09/ne...ne-production/

There are arguments on both sides regarding the morality of using fetal stem cell lines for vaccines.

6. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Nothing should surprise me anymore, but I found this boggling.

Headline: Kentucky Governor Says He Exposed His 9 Kids To Chickenpox Instead Of Vaccinating Them

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5...BztOe8N43TLsZU
    How dare he make a choice to give his children lifelong immunity to a disease that is generally mild in childhood and serious in adults, rather than giving them a vaccine that will likely wear off in adulthood, leaving them vulnerable as adults to a serious disease.

7. Collapse Details

from an IP that never sent jazz that PM, never !
    I'm old enough to remember every mother and father in our neighborhood breathing a sigh of relief that all 3 of their kids got chicken pox in the same week.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    new Italian law: no vax no school

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-47536981
    I had always assumed that was universal in developed countries up until the last couple years.

9. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by user4 View Post
    I'm old enough to remember every mother and father in our neighborhood breathing a sigh of relief that all 3 of their kids got chicken pox in the same week.
    Don't have to be very old to remember that, the chickenpox vaccine didn't really come into play until the mid-90s, and was not mandatory for school in many states until the early 2000s, with many states phasing it in.

Next time I have blood drawn, I am going to have titers done. I am very curious about my current immunity against measles, mumps, chickenpox and pertussis.

BTW I know some of you are pretty old... if you had wild pertussis as a kid, it does not give you lifelong immunity. Immunity from actually having pertussis wanes after ~7-20 years. The vaccine wears off too, the acellular vaccine wearing off faster than the whole cell vaccine.

If you haven't had a Tdap shot in the past 10 years, you should probably get one. It won't prevent you from getting pertussis or spreading it to others, but it is fairly effective at weakening the symptoms, to the point that you may not even realize you have the disease.

More info on pertussis immunity if anyone is interested: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5404361/

10. Collapse Details

Administrator
    When you are vaccinated, they won't test you for mumps, they just call it parotis.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/19/polit...hip/index.html

I guarantee you all that they have a mumps outbreak on that boat, which is very consistent with the mumps outbreaks we have been seeing in college dorms with 100% vaccination rates over the past 20 years or so.

There are other things that can cause parotis, but having that many people get it all at once is probably caused by mumps.

This is totally not mumps but we are giving them all another MMR... https://www.military.com/daily-news/...se-aboard.html