Facts, Not Fiction

Page 14 of 122 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464114 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

I never did twitch and so did not get the bloody arm, but our shots were a little spread out and we were not getting overseas shots.

As for the H1N1 studies. A set of four country studies was just released. In Canada, the average age of 168 patients studied was 32.2 years and they were generally healthy adults even if underlying factors such as asthma and weight existed. 33 died -- about 20%. I think that 4% of those identified with flu got severely ill and so the fatality rate is almost 1%. In Mexico, those with severe illness were a larger fraction of the total and the mortality rate was higher.

In Canada, although the first wave was not very big some major cities were on the verge of having to fly patients out for treatment and were almost out of drugs for treatment.

There have been rapid rates of infection. In the Dells last week more than 200 of the 5xx students were out before the week was even over and they closed school -- that is an infection rate of over 50%. If the town gets 50% and even 1% (much less 4%) go to intensive care they will outstrip the ability to have respirators. The only real barrier is vaccination.

What rate of complications with this flu get close to those sorts of statistics?

2. Collapse Details

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/12/opinion/12offit.html

Headline: Nothing to Fear but the Flu Itself

Public health officials are now battling not only a fast-spreading influenza virus but also unfounded fears about the vaccine that can prevent it.

3. Collapse Details

It's all a Vast Left-Wing Conspiracy ! Worst yet, maybe the COMMUNISTS are behind it ! Be an AMERICAN !!! Don't get a left wing, pinko, commie flu shot !!!

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf
    I remember the mass all-in-one-at-once shots on induction into the military but I don't remember it as being especially painful or traumatic. It was not optional and we were pre-conditoned, I suspect, with horror tales to expect it to be worse than it actually was. I think we mostly just shrugged it off as a macho thing.
    I have the same recollection. I remember the shot guns. We walked one by one through a room where you passed guys with guns on either side of us. We'd get a shot in each arm, walk a few steps forward and then the next team would shoot us. We all survived.

5. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Another left-wing plot by the New York Times: confuse people with actual facts!

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by tandfman
    Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf
    I remember the mass all-in-one-at-once shots on induction into the military but I don't remember it as being especially painful or traumatic. It was not optional and we were pre-conditoned, I suspect, with horror tales to expect it to be worse than it actually was. I think we mostly just shrugged it off as a macho thing.
    I have the same recollection. I remember the shot guns. We walked one by one through a room where you passed guys with guns on either side of us. We'd get a shot in each arm, walk a few steps forward and then the next team would shoot us. We all survived.
    When I was in the Czechoslovak military in the early sixties, we still used needles.
    "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
    by Thomas Henry Huxley

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh
    Another left-wing plot by the New York Times: confuse people with actual facts!
    Spoken like a dyed-in-the-wool commie with anti-American bullshit leanings. This is America. Consider this a cancellaton of my subscription to the New York Times... :wink:

8. Collapse Details

Well i think more parents will be against swine flu shots after this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mScGC7nFDxM

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon18

Since this is a public forum that might not protect me from legal troubles, I am not commenting.
    "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
    by Thomas Henry Huxley

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon18

The uneducated ones, sure.

I wish news stations would do stories on all the non-"amazingly beautiful" people that die of the flu every year.