Facts, Not Fiction

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Apostrophe society shuts down ....
    ???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    A society dedicated to preserving the correct use of the apostrophe has shut down because "ignorance has won".

Retired journalist John Richards, 96, started the Apostrophe Protection Society in 2001 to make sure the “much-abused” punctuation mark was being used correctly.

But Mr Richards has now announced: “With regret I have to announce that, after some 18 years, I have decided to close the Apostrophe Protection Society.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/a...-a4301391.html

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary View Post
    A society dedicated to preserving the correct use of the apostrophe has shut down because "ignorance has won".
    No, it hasn't. Anyone who understands its significance (in a formal setting - in my case, HS writing) judges those who do not and explains to them why SOME (not all - I will split an infinitive in a heart-beat, if I wish to) language conventions must be learned and followed, lest a discerning reader will recognize the ignorance of the writer and deem him or her not worthy of holding an opinion of any merit.

3. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    These are Dark Days for fans of proper punctuation...

4. Collapse Details

These are Dark Days for fans of proper punctuation...
    I guess I'm in the enviable position of having some effect on the next generation of 'writers' (small as it may be, which is why this is my favorite 'message' story: https://starfishproject.com/the-parable).

I tell them a simple truth: all your life you will be judged by how you speak and write, so you might as well learn how to do that correctly. Many (most?) people won't notice or care, but the ones who do will deem you intelligent and educated and will trust/hire/promote you more than those who don't know how to present themselves.

5. Collapse Details

Retired journalist John Richards, 96, started the Apostrophe Protection Society in 2001 to make sure the “much-abused” punctuation mark was being used correctly.

But Mr Richards has now announced: “With regret I have to announce that, after some 18 years, I have decided to close the Apostrophe Protection Society.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/a...-a4301391.html
    I was not aware of the Apostrophe Protection Society, but I certainly would have supported its goals. I didn't know quite what to make of that article in the Evening Standard. I thought it contained two grammar errors. (Yes, I can be a grammar scold.)
    Last edited by tandfman; 12-02-2019 at 03:18 AM.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    I guess I'm in the enviable position of having some effect on the next generation of 'writers' (small as it may be, which is why this is my favorite 'message' story: https://starfishproject.com/the-parable).

I tell them a simple truth: all your life you will be judged by how you speak and write, so you might as well learn how to do that correctly. Many (most?) people won't notice or care, but the ones who do will deem you intelligent and educated and will trust/hire/promote you more than those who don't know how to present themselves.
    I think your on a loosing s'treek hear and could of done a better job. I bet Strunk is spinning in his' grave, literally.

[source: various internet postings]
    Last edited by El Toro; 12-02-2019 at 02:46 AM. Reason: add reference

7. Collapse Details

Is there an Adverb Protection Society? We need one, bad.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by El Toro View Post
    I think your on a loosing s'treek hear and could of done a better job. I bet Strunk is spinning in his' grave, literally.
    [source: various internet postings]
    Just keep reading the starfish story and you'll feel better!

Quote Originally Posted by DrJay View Post

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by DrJay View Post
    :-D

10. Collapse Details

My own writing has suffered from professional challenges through the years. I had excellent teachers in high school and college. Then, after getting a degree in Engineering, I was dissuaded from any colorful turn of phrase. After working most of my career supporting the US Army in acquisition, I was forced to use words differently (will and shall are warped when used in contracts). Later, I wrote memos and letters over the signature block of numerous flag officers (don't even get me started here........).

And now, with the majority of my writing done for pleasure, I am in need of societies such as this one.

For the record, I have gone back to correct this short note three times. :???: