Facts, Not Fiction

 
Page 123 of 127 FirstFirst ... 2373113121122123124125 ... LastLast
Results 1,221 to 1,230 of 1261
  1. Collapse Details
     
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    on task
    Posts
    12,404
    Quote Originally Posted by El Toro View Post
    Young people probably get the same rates of infection in close environments but get over it without as much drama.
    The local paper reported that up to 2/3s (!!) of students at some schools were absent last Friday . . . and it's spreading.

    Thanks for IDing it also as 'stomach flu', which is probably how I've heard it for a long while. The efflux from top and bottom makes it particularly nasty.
    Last edited by Atticus; 12-08-2019 at 03:43 PM.
    Reply With Quote
     

  2. Collapse Details
     
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    on task
    Posts
    12,404
    Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    The local paper reported that up to 2/3s (!!) of students at some schools were absent last Friday . . . and it's spreading.
    Aha. 2/3s were out, BUT . . . very few of them were actually sick. Once the kids heard that a few kids had it, they spread the news on social media, and the rest used it as an excuse to ditch school!

    It was viral, all right, but not of the medical variety.
    Reply With Quote
     

  3. Collapse Details
     
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    3,817
    Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    Aha. 2/3s were out, BUT . . . very few of them were actually sick. Once the kids heard that a few kids had it, they spread the news on social media, and the rest used it as an excuse to ditch school!

    It was viral, all right, but not of the medical variety.
    Spoken by a man with years of experience dealing with students
    Reply With Quote
     

  4. Collapse Details
     
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    on task
    Posts
    12,404
    Quote Originally Posted by bambam1729 View Post
    Spoken by a man with years of experience dealing with students
    And is constantly bemused by the creative ways that students find to get out of school.
    If parents today are OK with letting their kids miss school because of the mere possibility of picking up some illness, then I think this 'issue' will only play out more and more as the anti-vaxxers proselytize their agenda.
    Reply With Quote
     

  5. Collapse Details
     
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    from an IP that never sent jazz that PM, never !
    Posts
    7,162
    Quote Originally Posted by DrJay View Post
    There's always Devil's Island for such folk. They could happily infect each other there and leave the rest of us alone.
    Very interesting, actually we used to quarantine people that had a dangerous contagious disease.
    Such laws I think are still on the books,

    Today we have a sizable population willing to quarantine people for having a dangerous idea in their head and speaking it. And yet we have had for centuries cornerstone laws prohibiting any restriction on the freedom of speech..


    Times have changed.
    Last edited by user4; 12-09-2019 at 03:35 PM.
    Reply With Quote
     

  6. Collapse Details
     
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    3,817
    Quote Originally Posted by user4 View Post
    Very interesting, actually we used to quarantine people that had a dangerous contagious disease.
    The classic example of which is my very distant relative - Typhoid Mary - who was born Mary Mallon. She kept escaping quarantine however, until the last years of her life. My father did our family genealogy before he died and found we were somehow distantly related.
    Reply With Quote
     

  7. Collapse Details
     
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    on task
    Posts
    12,404
    Quote Originally Posted by user4 View Post
    And yet we have had for centuries cornerstone laws prohibiting any restriction on the freedom of speech..
    Times have changed.
    Freedom of speech is allowed. And then we are allowed to judge you on the stupid things you say. Freedom of speech does not mean freedom from consequences of said speech. Speak treason, harm or endangerment, and you will bear said consequences.
    Reply With Quote
     

  8. Collapse Details
     
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    ???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Posts
    12,121
    Quote Originally Posted by bambam1729 View Post
    The classic example of which is my very distant relative - Typhoid Mary - who was born Mary Mallon. She kept escaping quarantine however, until the last years of her life. My father did our family genealogy before he died and found we were somehow distantly related.
    PBS had a show on her several years ago....my niece plays a young girl in the show who dies in the show....Mary Mallon was a cook for the family...

    https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/typhoid/
    Reply With Quote
     

  9. Collapse Details
     
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    ???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Posts
    12,121
    Quote Originally Posted by bambam1729 View Post
    The classic example of which is my very distant relative - Typhoid Mary - who was born Mary Mallon. She kept escaping quarantine however, until the last years of her life. My father did our family genealogy before he died and found we were somehow distantly related.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abM25PRzLfE&app=desktop
    Reply With Quote
     

  10. Collapse Details
     
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    west of Westeros
    Posts
    62,055
    meanwhile, polio rears its ugly head once again

    https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2019/...1Ctpj-zUm_TlBI
    Reply With Quote
     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •