Facts, Not Fiction

Page 123 of 127 FirstFirst ... 2373113121122123124125 ... LastLast
Results 1,221 to 1,230 of 1261
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by El Toro View Post
    Young people probably get the same rates of infection in close environments but get over it without as much drama.
    The local paper reported that up to 2/3s (!!) of students at some schools were absent last Friday . . . and it's spreading.

Thanks for IDing it also as 'stomach flu', which is probably how I've heard it for a long while. The efflux from top and bottom makes it particularly nasty.
    Last edited by Atticus; 12-08-2019 at 03:43 PM.

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    The local paper reported that up to 2/3s (!!) of students at some schools were absent last Friday . . . and it's spreading.
    Aha. 2/3s were out, BUT . . . very few of them were actually sick. Once the kids heard that a few kids had it, they spread the news on social media, and the rest used it as an excuse to ditch school!

It was viral, all right, but not of the medical variety.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    Aha. 2/3s were out, BUT . . . very few of them were actually sick. Once the kids heard that a few kids had it, they spread the news on social media, and the rest used it as an excuse to ditch school!

It was viral, all right, but not of the medical variety.
    Spoken by a man with years of experience dealing with students

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by bambam1729 View Post
    Spoken by a man with years of experience dealing with students
    And is constantly bemused by the creative ways that students find to get out of school.
    If parents today are OK with letting their kids miss school because of the mere possibility of picking up some illness, then I think this 'issue' will only play out more and more as the anti-vaxxers proselytize their agenda.

5. Collapse Details

from an IP that never sent jazz that PM, never !
    Quote Originally Posted by DrJay View Post
    There's always Devil's Island for such folk. They could happily infect each other there and leave the rest of us alone.
    Very interesting, actually we used to quarantine people that had a dangerous contagious disease.
    Such laws I think are still on the books,

Today we have a sizable population willing to quarantine people for having a dangerous idea in their head and speaking it. And yet we have had for centuries cornerstone laws prohibiting any restriction on the freedom of speech..

Times have changed.
    Last edited by user4; 12-09-2019 at 03:35 PM.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by user4 View Post
    Very interesting, actually we used to quarantine people that had a dangerous contagious disease.
    The classic example of which is my very distant relative - Typhoid Mary - who was born Mary Mallon. She kept escaping quarantine however, until the last years of her life. My father did our family genealogy before he died and found we were somehow distantly related.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by user4 View Post
    And yet we have had for centuries cornerstone laws prohibiting any restriction on the freedom of speech..
    Times have changed.
    Freedom of speech is allowed. And then we are allowed to judge you on the stupid things you say. Freedom of speech does not mean freedom from consequences of said speech. Speak treason, harm or endangerment, and you will bear said consequences.

8. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    The classic example of which is my very distant relative - Typhoid Mary - who was born Mary Mallon. She kept escaping quarantine however, until the last years of her life. My father did our family genealogy before he died and found we were somehow distantly related.
    PBS had a show on her several years ago....my niece plays a young girl in the show who dies in the show....Mary Mallon was a cook for the family...

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/typhoid/

9. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abM25PRzLfE&app=desktop

10. Collapse Details

Administrator
    meanwhile, polio rears its ugly head once again

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2019/...1Ctpj-zUm_TlBI